Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
F
addict
addict
F
Some code, some debug, some design and some architect.

I guess I can accept that as a valid piece of jargon (no negative connotation intended), but I just wish they had used a word other than 'architecture' for the concept, as it makes searching online for information about 'built architecture' (there's a retronym for ya) a pain in the ashlar!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Flatlander just wishes they had used a word other than 'architecture' for the concept

Aw*, then you'd just be micturating and puling about them inventing some neoplastic® word.

*Ænigma wants awad here!

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
And we still have the perfect right, whenever a particular speech community wants to drag its nasty little secrets out into the light of day, to protest that a particular term of art is unacceptable in the ordinary public discourse. What they say to each other is their own business.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Unfortunately, in that community, the term architect is the correct term. For a member of that community to use another term would be wrong. The alternative is for the user of the term architect to go into a long involved explanation of the meaning of architect. I don't know what the full context of this "unacceptable" term was. If it was in a technical article designed for the computer professional I can see no excuse for considering the term unacceptable. If it was in some publication aimed at a more general audience then perhaps the reporter quoting the computer professional should have included a sidebar explaining the term and perhaps other terms that may have been equally unfamiliar to the readers. If this was something you overheard in the local Pig & Whistle then I say caveat auditor.

#33247 06/22/01 08:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I work in the ISB--which some people think stands for Information Services Branch--

but we who work here, recognize its stands for It Should Be...

It Should Be (working, active, on-line.. fill in with the work do choice..)

#33248 06/22/01 09:38 PM
J
old hand
old hand
J
Architects command higher honorariums than mere designers

As a member of both worlds (a web designer and future real architect) I'd say that architects design buildings, therefore they are designers and things they design have been designed.

I don't care much for the new tech sense of architecture. If that sense gets too popular somewhere down the line someone will ask: "Who's Frank Lloyd Wright" "He was an architect" "Oh, I see, he made computer systems."

#33249 06/25/01 12:25 AM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
Ooooh, deary me, you all have gotten hot and botherated about this little item!

I have heard systems people talk about the architecture of a system (computer or database) and I'm sure they meant just that, architecture (all the bits and bytes as they relate to each other and the querries posed to the system), and not design. To us laymen it may seem a silly nuance, and when I talk about the architecture of a building (and not terribly knowledgably, I admit), I'm talking about something more than its design.

And yes, using architect as a verb is a bit much, just now.

(more dessert needed)

#33250 06/25/01 08:19 AM
R
addict
addict
R
architect is used in other contexts than building and computing. Military campaigns, social and political systems, they have their "architects" too. Usually refering to the person putting the grand plan together rather than the more detailed design.

Rod

#33251 06/25/01 10:05 AM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Architected...

What seems strange to me is that our traditional architects, have for years been planning, devising, designing, mapping out, laying out, etc. And now we have 'IT-architects', they go about architecting here and there.
If it's argot they crave, can't they come up with something new, instead of this slack verbification?

#33252 06/25/01 12:44 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
come up with something new

I guess that's half of what bugs me about this - they are trying to abbrogate a term already in widespread use, just to confer a glib veneer of respectability on their work. In other walks of life taking what is already owned by others is termed theft Now if they had the courage of their convictions, they would indeed have come up with a new word to properly refelct their dazzling vituosity..! It might even have been a tad less ugly than the sound of this verb form.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,315
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 247 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,532
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith