Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#32206 06/17/01 01:28 AM
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
In reply to:

Alex--I am typing to Backstreet, from a video website! Love 'em, love 'em, love 'em! Even went to your town to hear 'em, November 17th, 1999. "I Want It That Way"...

Let me get this straight, Jackie. Are you saying that you are a fan of the Backstreet Boys? *the horror! the horror!*
And you came to Lexington? Did you have dinner here, and if so, where?

#32207 06/17/01 01:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Are you saying that you are a fan of the Backstreet Boys?
Yes indeed! I have all their CD's. Listening to Shape of My Heart at the moment-ah, the rich harmonies these guys have! That's what first made me notice their songs on the radio. Then, when I saw them on the Disney Channel, and--
can you bear it, Sweetie??--MTV, and how synchronized their choreography is, I realized that these Boys work.
Definitely made me take a second look, and then a third...

Did you have dinner here, and if so, where?
Just in the mall attached to Rupp Arena. I ate in Lexington
fairly often when I was in the Lexington Philharmonic, but that's so long ago I don't remember anywhere in particular.
Man--once, the president of UK gave a reception for the
Philharmonic at his house: l-o-n-g white leather sofa, and
white shag carpet that was ankle-deep!

P.S.--You did know, didn't you [mischievous gleam e], that one of The Backstreet Boys is FROM Lexington, didn't you?
Went to Tates Creek High. And his cousin in the group is from Estill Co.

#32208 06/17/01 09:11 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<terror soils underpants>>

Terror is a response to a real or perceived present danger. Horror is a response such a danger as mediated by time, telling, or image, or in some other way: the danger is not present, but is represented as present in a recounted situation.

Horror is also a moral response, often to a terrifying situation, suggesting that moral judgment, like the horror, requires the mediation of an account.

Terror is also a generalized fear of a purposely heightened likelihood of present danger. Terror, in this sense, shares the immediacy of the first meaning, and the mediation of horror and judgment: a legend of terror is a political force.

#32209 06/18/01 05:08 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
In reply to:

the president of UK

Was that what the election was about? Last I heard we still had a queen.

Bingley

Bingley
#32210 06/18/01 10:25 AM
old hand
old hand
Hi Inselpeter,
I liked your definition/distinction best so far. I also think terror is more of an objective state that can be diagnosed from certain symptoms (in an individual or a community), whereas horror is the emotional/mental reaction to something that might be subjectively terrifying. Terror is also deliberately induced as a strategical ploy. Horror may be also, but for less lethal purposes.

#32211 06/22/01 11:24 AM
R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
the president of UK (Jackie)

Was that what the election was about? Last I heard we still had a queen.
(Bingley)
Unfortunately, we still have, Bingley. The only plus point is that she probably doesn't cost so much, and definitely does less harm, than a president.

Inside knowledge is required to interpret Jackie's gnomic phrase (above):

You have, first, to take into account the inate insularity of the citizens of the USA - which is very odd, considering that they are not an island (quite apart from the Donne-ish perspective.)

Second, you need to have picked up on the numerous clues that Jackie comes from "the land of 'shut ya mouth' and 'you-all'" as the immortal Lehrer has it, and, more specifically, from the part of that land where Van Gough painted the grass.

"UK" takes on a whole new meaning.

(and that is quite apart from Aenigma's insistence that Jacking visited the president of the Ukraine

#32212 06/22/01 11:43 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M

#32213 06/22/01 01:40 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
FWIW - the UK reference was very local, as I too had to think for a second to interpret it correctly. I have noticed that across the US, abbreviations for colleges and universities are assumed by the locals to be implicitly understood, even if indecipherable or confusing to others. A reference to MSU can mean Mississippi State, Missouri State, or Michigan State, just to name the pertinent major universities. And trying to keep straight UK versus the KU! IU: Indiana? Iowa? Illinois? UI: ditto? The locals show no mercy.

It seems to be not a national attitude, but a much more localized perspective.

#32214 06/22/01 01:50 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I have noticed that across the US, abbreviations for colleges and universities are assumed by the locals to be implicitly understood, even if indecipherable or confusing to others.

And then you get the nicknames (and I don't mean mascots) like Wazzou (Washington U.), Mizzou (Missouri U.), Ole Miss (U. of Mississippi), and UMass (U. of Massachusetts). Not to mention Boston College, which is a University in Newton, MA...

#32215 06/22/01 02:51 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
... which reminds me of speaking to a non-sports-fan friend about an incident involving the University of Connecticut. I said, "...they played UConn [using the usual term of reference in sports land]" and she was really confused about a basketball team from the Yukon. Goooo Fighting Mounties!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith