Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yu da man, Brandon

consuelo

B
old hand
old hand
B
In the style guide at the back of the Oxford Canadian Dictionary, it gives the non-apostrophe pluralization rule for abbreviations. I think we'd seen it with the apostrophe so often that we were used to it (at least I was) and now the non-apostrophe version looks a little awkward. I've been using it recently for my papers for school and it's kind of growing on me.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
So long ago that I have forgotten the details, I read that an early form of the possessive was : " the man his arm...."
I am disappointed that none of our philologists has discussed this. So the apostrophe just replaces the "his".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dr. Bill notes: that an early form of the possessive was : " the man his arm...." and is disappointed that none of our philologists has discussed this.

ProblyŽ because, like so many of my dimly remembered bits of wisdom, it is an old wive's tale. I am sure tsuwm or NicholasW or another of our well-versed philologists could document this.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Faldage: It was in a scholarly tome in Widener Library that I read it. No old wives tailing (sic) to it.

B
enthusiast
enthusiast
B
an early form of the possessive was : " the man his arm...."

I have read some notes scattered about that point towards the "man his arm" theory behind the adoption of the apostrophe, but the more accepted (correct me, others) theory is that the genetive singular form most often used ended in -es (reached back into the days when the language had cases). In the Middle English inflectional system, the accusative and dative cases were replaced with prepositions, but the genetive did the trick using an apostrophe. The unstressed e dropped out of pronunciation, and writers placed an apostrophe to indicate the dropped letter (some sources debate whether the apostrophe denotes an omission).

Brandon

H
addict
addict
H
Faldage discounts an etymology thus: it is an old wive's tale

Is it the tale of one wife or of some wives? Has the possessive got you too? Are you possessed?

(Or perhaps it's the dreaded wive, a mythical beast of central Africa, known for its maffling call.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hyla astutely notices old wive's tale

The genitive singular of the OE wif, woman was wifes. An f between two vowels was voiced. This bit of grammar has come down to us in the phrase old wive's tale.

That's *my story and I'm sticking to *it.

H
addict
addict
H
Ya know, I stared at it and stared at it and couldn't figure out how I'd change it to make it look "right."

Now I know why.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What I've got here is David Crystal's story on the apostrophe: nowhere in his Encyclopedia of the English Language does he mention the hypothesis Dr Bill brought up; instead, he says it was introduced by 16th century printers simply as a way to indicate a missing letter. By the 18th century, as Brandon said, it became a marker for the possessive, first denoting the genitive singular, then the plural.

Crystal addresses the apostrophe in several different places in his wondrous work. I could quote chapters and verses, but it's got an index

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 888 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith