Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The subject is there.

Singular or plural?

R
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
R
I just run the two r's together and have no problem. To me, the lack of agreement between subject and verb is far more jarring than the flow of saying "there's" verus "there're."

I quite agree, nikeblack -"therur" rolls off the tongue perfectly as well as "there's."

As to finding Gareth difficult - that's probably because it is a Celtic name introduced into a largely Saxon environment, and the two never did mix all that well, in any situation. Try saying "Gareth Thistlethwaite" - without pausing for a drink in the middle!
Do any Welsh words that start with a "th" sound? If not (as I believe) then that sort of problem wouldn't occur.

B
old hand
old hand
B
Actually, I think my Dad's problem with Gareth stems from his tendency to roll all his R's, Italian-style (since that's what he is). It comes out as Garrrrruth, if he makes it all the way to the th without laughing. But I don't think my tongue likes that name much either.

But rural? Am I the only person who just can't stand to say that word? It comes out "rrl". No audible vowels! Just like there're = therr.

H
addict
addict
H
I too get stuck on "rural," with the little hooks on the top of the r's getting all tangled up in the middle of the a, and it always sounds odd to my ear. Happily, I'm a city boy.

#32106 06/16/01 01:44 AM
N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Yup. There are some English, Anglo-Saxon?, words that defy the tongue. I new at least one Iranian who could not say world to save his life. The rld combination was too much and, indeed, upon examination of tongue posiiton, I must agree.

#32107 06/16/01 02:15 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A quote, I have a quote! "...let us reach into the inkwell jewel box and withdraw two sets of exquisite superscript signs--"for the right ear," for the left--and hang them from the lobes on either side of the word...(they) possess an understated, overlooked beauty that transcends the merely chic. (Do they not resemble, say, the windblown teardrops of fairy folk, commas on a trampoline, tadpoles with stomach cramps, or human fetuses in the first days following conception?)"--Tom Robbins, from his latest novel
I would normally type in the name of the novel if I had a clue how to underline book titles on this poor, handicapped half-a-computer I was given by my sister, and I just sent my flak jacket to the cleaners! (laugh) I don't have a clue how to use the cute little smiley faces either. So, if you are interested and can take it straight without the underline, let me know. Better yet, post it if you know it!:>

consuelo

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There are certain dialects in the Southern United States (Appalachia?) where, for a possessive indicative they say "that's your'n" or 'that's their'n" .

rural

And can you imagine the difficulty of an Asian-language-speaking English student with this?... lular?

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
When I was teaching English in Singapore about 15 years ago, I had a lot of Japanese students. By a cruel twist of fate, most of them lived in River Valley Road.

Bingley

Bingley
#32110 06/16/01 01:58 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<What I hate is when people use quotation marks for emphasis. For example, there was a sign at a 7-11 store that read: There will be a $15 charge for "each" returned checks!>>

Thanks for that, Alex Williams. For years I've wondered what the hell or on Earth quotation marks would be doing sighting every "each" or "any". You've taken one load from my shoulders and replaced it with another. But you may still return all your checks to me.

A summer frolic to everyone, and a mid-summer dream.

IP

#32111 06/16/01 02:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
consuelo, I bet my computer is older than yours!

For tips, click on http://markup in your posts when you go to post, or better yet, go to Max's wonderful website, which will answer all your questions and then some:

http://maxq.airscapenet.com

(but please don't abuse the emoticons! *whistling*)

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 727 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith