About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#31202 06/06/01 12:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Actually what is confusing is how the roits at Oldham could just "By pass" the election debates, discussions, news etc.. In this country if the was a train derailment caused by a drunk conductor, hitting a stray cat, every pol would expect to provide his/her opion on Amtrak (US National rail system), alcohol consumption, union power (since railway are still strong union shops) and animal rights! and a few other topics. I don't think the press would have left the the riots in Cinncinati pass with out expecting some comments from the candidates.. (in fact, all the candidates would be required to schedule trip and fact finding missions, and policy statements on what ehy would do to resolve the problems!

That is the real question on my mind about the UK election.. (but i cheat at read the economist!)

#31203 06/06/01 01:00 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Whew! I think I am less confused.

Your house of Lords is like our Senate - they're appointed by the sitting government, although I can't remember if it's for life or for ten years - and everyone likes to talk about making the Senate elected instead of appointed.

Instead of national assemblies we have provinces (which I have noticed, from my British friends' mailing addresses, don't seem to exist in the UK). Then, of course, there are provincial governments, which are like a miniature version of the federal one, minus the Senate. That is, whichever party gains the most seats has their leader become premier of the province. And certain subjects are under provincial jurisdiction, while everything else falls to the federal government.

Somehow your own political system seems so much more straightforward than someone else's!

Anyway, why don't they just form an English Assembly then? (Too simple a solution, I suppose...)

#31204 06/06/01 03:59 PM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
why don't they just form an English Assembly then?

The English have little to bind them together as a race apart from their superiority over all other nations, so an assembly that does not allow them to lord it over less fortunate nations holds no appeal.

Most English find the Local (County or Borough), Westminster and European goverments more than enough, thank you very much, and don't want another layer.

The situation for the subjugated nations is different of course. They want any excuse to thumb their noses at the overlords.

Rod

#31205 06/06/01 04:15 PM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
what is confusing is how the roits at Oldham could just "By pass" the election debates, discussions, news etc

and now Leeds
There has been a lot of news on Oldham (and now Leeds) but Helen raises an interesting point about the lack of political electioneering on the subject. William Hague has already burnt his fingers in this election "playing the race card" on the asylum issue, when the others said "You really mean race don't you?". and with some of the more extreme members of his party saying things that Hague wished they hadn't. The parties have all said the same "Tut Tut isn't it dreadful - it shouldn't happen", on the riots, but since they all supposedly have the same policies on race, it is difficult to make an issue of it, apart from bemoaning the lack of money/resources/training given to police/teachers/social workers and whoever. Since Hague is already struggling to convince the voters he can cut taxes and increase spending, adding another line to his spend budget by berating Labour on the issue would be difficult.

We do have openly racist (as far as they can be within the law) parties, but thankfully they are a small minority.

Rod

#31206 06/06/01 04:24 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Your house of Lords is like our Senate - they're appointed by the sitting government

Oh, Bean! For a moment you added to my confusion ... until I realised you were speaking of Canada.
Confusion arose because I was thinking US .. whew!
... Here Senate members are elected by people's vote, two to a state whereas Representatives are proportionate to population of state they represent.

#31207 06/06/01 04:38 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
two to a state

How sensible. Here the numbers of Senate seats are more or less proportional to population of the province, too, so small provinces get screwed in both Chambers of the House! (By the way, I look up the senate - they have to retire at 75.)

#31208 06/06/01 05:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Here Senate members are elected by people's vote, two to a state...

and I am thus amused and bemused by the reaction of Senator Lott et al to losing control of the previously apportioned 50-50 Senate; to wit, the "'coup of one' that subverted the will of the American voters who elected a Republican majority."

#31209 06/06/01 07:51 PM
N
journeyman
journeyman
N
".. all politics is local."

The Honorable and (sadly) Deceased Tip O'Neill, Speaker of the House.

#31210 06/07/01 10:25 AM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
Today is polling day for UK. The anagram of the day on our wall is:
TOSSER BLAIR PETTED MUM

totally apolitical of course. We just don't have the right letters to be rude about the others.

Rod

#31211 06/08/01 07:27 AM
R
rodward Offline OP
addict
OP Offline
addict
R
".. all politics is local

So the results are mostly in and a night of records, some not so welcome. Labour won with a slightly reduced landslide, a majority of 167 predicted instead of the previous 177. Conservatives (Tories) gained 8 and lost 8, Liberal Democrats up about 7.
(Our anagram now reads "LAB DUMPS WETTER TORIES")
Lowest voter turn out at 58% since 1918. This means that Labour has a majority of 167 with only 24% of the electorate voting for them (42% of the voters). The highest turnout was where an Independent was elected with a 17500 majority, based on the single issue of saving a local hospital.
Hague has effectively resigned as leader of Tories, just as soon as they can find another leader, and they have some serious thinking to do.
Tactical voting seems to have played its part, Labour actually gained a seat from Conservative locally, turning a majorority of 67 into one of 153. This election started (I think) with a record number of marginals, but the Conservatives just haven't managed to prise them loose, which is worse for them as there is usually a reaction against a landslide in the following election.

This is your UK political correspondent signing off for another 4 years or so.

Rod

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith