Print Thread
#30151 05/24/01 01:55 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
For the younger members of the Board, Kilroy was that World War II cartoon that turned up everywhere and where least expected!
A book with the title "Kilroy Was Here" has been written by newsman/commentator Charles Osgood who also hosts the popular US TV program "Sunday Morning" on CBS.
The book is about humor arising out of WWII.
Osgood was on TV this morning. He told the story of the "Kilroy" phenomena. Seems the saying and its accompanying cartoon have UK/US roots.
Osgood said he had investigated the MANY versions of how Kilroy started and is convinced the following is the real story:
James Kilroy was an inspector at the Quincy Massachusetts shipyard. When he inspected a part of the ship, instead of merely checking it with a piece of chalk, he would confirm the part had been inspected by writing "Kilroy was here" in crayon. Months later when someone else went to that area of the ship -- where supposedly nobody had ever been -- there were the words. If you Google you'll find a variety of storieds about it's origin. Since I was told the same story by my Dad as Osgood believes, I tend to go with thier version (Dad was in the News Biz here in New England)
The saying was married to a cartoon from England call "Chad" and the cartoon and saying turned up everywhere across the world ... and without a bit of advertising ... just a spontaneous things by the troops. The cartoon was very easy to draw : a domed head and long nose peeking over a fence (wish I could put it in here.)
Do any WWII vets you know have a "Kilroy" story?
There is a story that even troops storming a beach would find Kilroy had been there first!
Osgood said he ws surprised to discover there were very, very few books about the humor that came out of WWII.
That's all, folks!
wow

#30152 05/24/01 02:40 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, there are many stories... and many sites. here's one that's fairly innocuous but has the graphic...

http://www.ohiohistory.org/etcetera/exhibits/kilroy/

#30153 05/24/01 05:01 PM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Yes, tsuwm, that is one site I found by Google-ing :
"Kilroy Was Here"+cartoon
There are a whole bunch more, all with variations on the origin of the phrase.
I lean heavily on the version told me by my Dad and in Osgood's book. I have a vague memory of seeing a story about the real Kilroy in The Quincy Ledger, the paper of record in Quincy, Mass.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith