Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B
Just in passing, ..I want to know how many of you utilise 'Who's Online' regularly. I once looked in, only to find someone else (I've forgotten who now), looking straight back at me, i.e. under Location it read 'online.pl' for them too. It felt almost like meeting them and being caught red-handed at the same time.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I often use the "Who's Online" feature. I like to see who is on and what they are doing.
If I see that someone is adding a post or replying to a message, I often hang around for a while to see what it is.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a more... interesting... question, perhaps, to the spies amongst us might be: who has modified his profile to *block this feature?

R
addict
addict
R
who has modified his profile to *block this feature?

well, I had for one because I was not sure what it did and who might be peeking. And then I forgot about it completely. Now I know you are all such great guys [gender neuter emoticon], and been reminded about it, I have switched it to Allow. But I don't know when it takes affect, because when I looked I was not listed. As far as I remember, I have only logged in once a couple of months back. Since then AWAD always knows who I am. Does anyone know exactly what criteria are used?
Viewing, Posting, in last 10 minutes?
"Allow" set when logging in?
Does "Who's Online" show yourself? I don't think so. Can any one see me now?

I will check again after this post and update to say what happened.
Who's online did not show me so I will logout and back in again.
Can't see myself though. No magic mirrors.

All is clear, I hadn't submitted the change properly, oops I can now see myself.

Rod the great defective

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Does "Who's Online" show yourself?

Sure does!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
does "Who's Online" show yourself?

not if you've blocked it.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh, BY, how your post made me laugh.

one of my very favorite AWADers and i began our correspondence, and a great friendship, in exactly that way... we were both in "online" at the same time, and were both strangers, IIRC, so the PM i received a few minutes later (asking me if i felt like a voyeur, as well) was one of the first in my inbox =)

Rapunzel, i use it in exactly the same way you do. if someone (usually max, for some reason; i guess our schedules coincide) is showing "new reply", i tend to hang around to read it.

which brings me to my own question:

Is it just me, or do any of you ever spend WAY more time than you intended to in this forum, only because every time you get ready to log out there's another 'NEW' tag, and it's just too hard to resist??

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>is it just me, or...

how do you think max made it to pooh-bah status so fast?

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
do any of you ever spend WAY more time than you intended to in this forum, only because every time you get ready to log out there's another 'NEW' tag, and it's just too hard to resist??

Oh yes! And I tend to look in on "Who" when I seem to be actually catching up on postings ... usually I discover I'm all by my lonesome-- that's why !

S
S
Guilty.

I watch for new users and some of our (cough) more loquacious colleagues so that I might spend yet another minute or two too-long perusing the posts.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,371
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 803 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith