Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
I came across this link, and thought that it might appeal to all those unfortunates among you who use M$ Word(yrch!). I found it funny, and thought that several others might as well.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richard.bowring/computeraddons.htm

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Max: I am indeed irritated by that dumb critter that wants to help me write letters. But even worse are the hidden macro keys I touch accidentally, that I have trouble getting rid of. But I can make Word work well enough I just don't get mad enough to change.

#26177 04/07/01 09:42 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Oh, Max ... thanks for the good laugh!

It reminded me of when we went to computers at the newspaper. Frustration was inevitable and it was late evening when someone gave in and typed a command to the computer "Fuck You!" The screen blinked and on the screen came the phrase "Your place or mine?"
There are two answers and as we ALL duplicated the question with either "mine" or "yours" the same answer came on screen. "Not today, dear, I have a headache."
Nice sense of humor those ATEX programmers had ... and obviously they knew frustration levels of learners and what we would do to release it! "Yell" at the computer.
And thanks for the new thread ...it is #5, by the way.
wow

B
addict
addict
B
Max,

I take it the naming of this thread was meant to be deliciously ironic given the subject matter?

B
B
Max Thanks for the laughs.

I've just been pushed over to our 2000 server & am going through all the crap involved in being one of the first . Like having to find email lists & finding / setting readable font's instead of the defaults(sp?), in addition to my job of course.

CJ

CJ
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Max Thanks for the laughs

You're welcome. I am in a very cheerful mood, unlike the poor, tired, Hoddled masses, one of whom is Aboard as I speak. To one who knows of what I am speaking, ha ha, told ya so, enjoy your exile!

J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I, for one, have no problem with Word, besides sometimes not recognizing a word. The first and only time I ever saw the paperclip guy was 4 years ago, on a school computer. He has never since made any contact with me whatsoever. He probably was scared out of his wits by the fact that I didn't need his help.

jimthedog

P
addict
addict
P
Today's 'nafffact' in the Melbourne Age newspaper:

"In the state of Kentucky, it is illegal to carry ice-cream in your back pocket."

Any Kentuckians care to comment?

#26183 04/11/01 12:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Time back way back when you could tell what response time was going to be by looking at the blinking lights on the front panel of the mainframe we used to have Engineering Day when non-computer science/engineering students would be given tours of the School of Engineering. Someone would inevitably type in "fuck you" on one of the terminals available for common use. The system would reply, "Access to processor denied by installation."

#26184 04/11/01 03:33 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
The system would reply, "Access to processor denied by installation."

NO sense of humor, those academic programmers. I liked the ATEX response much more better.
wow

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I am indeed irritated by that dumb critter that wants to help me write letters.

I am convinced these obnoxious cartoons were added to the M$ (Max) package for no other reason than to give them a personality neanderthals could relate to.

You can easily kill the m_ther f_kers by searching for "actors" on your C: and deleting the folder. voila: I have murdered herds of them this way.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"In the state of Kentucky, it is illegal to carry ice-cream in your back pocket."

My sweet paulb, that is so, because when I slip my hand into your hip pocket, I don't want to get all messy.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

My sweet paulb, that is so, because when I slip my hand into your hip pocket, I don't want to get all messy.

Okay, where are the gutter police when you need them?

Anyway, just to let anyone who cares know I'll be away for six days ... in Melbourne. Hope it's not illegal to put ice cream in your back pocket there!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Don't know where else to put this! It was sent to me as part of my local library's Email newsletter. Very nice site.

http://www.ipl.org/reading/shakespeare/shakespeare.html

wow
THANK YOU Max for calling my attention to the /html error instead of the correct .html -- which is now fixed,
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was widely believed time back way back in the '60s that there was a place where it was the law that if two trains met at a railroad crossing, both had to stop and neither was allowed to restart until the other had passed.

In the real world and during that same time period we were once faced with a law which did not permit us to move from the bar to a booth or table carrying our own drinks. We had to get the barmaid* (as she was then known) to carry the drinks for us.

*If you think that's bad Ænigma wants to call her barn.

addict
addict
Thanks for the funny stuff, everyone!
It is much appreciated at this time in which I am up to my neck with papers and revision. Sadly, not much time is left me for wandering through these blessed threads, not to mention contribute to them... but I do peek in every once in a while...
Marianna the Mad Grad

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Especially for AnnaS, apologies if this a YART

~Things a True Southerner Knows~

The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fit

Pretty much how many fish make up a mess

What general direction cattywumpus is

How long "directly" is---As in "Going to town, be back directly."

That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar

When "by and by" is

How to handle their "pot likker"

Long sleeved shirts should always be rolled up past the elbow

The best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of
cold potato salad

The difference between "pert nigh" and "a right fur piece"

The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trash

Don't assume the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to turn

Never to go snipe hunting twice

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Knowing that our Ms. A. is quite busy, I shall step into the breach:

The difference between a hissie fit and a conniption fitA hissy fit is much milder, and is usually gone into over something petty, such as a certain Zilder sneaking in a post while I 'uz still typin' mine. But sometimes conniptions are thrown over something that's only worth a hissy. I take a conniption fit if my access to the
internet goes down.

Pretty much how many fish make up a mess8 to 13

What general direction cattywumpus issideways for
Sunday

How long "directly" is---As in "Going to town, be back directly."That's "treckly", or "t'reckly": whenever I get good and ready.

That "gimme sugar" don't mean pass the sugar
Nuh-uh--that's gimme a kiss, Sweetcakes!

When "by and by" isDepends on the subject matter.
If you're talkin' about, say, when the next meal will be
ready or when the mail delivery is expected, by and by means sometime today. If you're talkin' about when you expect the next rain or visit from Aunt Martha (often indistinguishable from each other), it could be several weeks.

How to handle their "pot likker"No problem, it's just the cabbage water.

Long sleeved shirts should always be rolled up past the elbowWell, yeah. 'Lessen you're headin' to the dance.

The best gesture of solace for a neighbor who's got trouble is a plate of
cold potato salad
Yup--we don't hold no truck with that slimy warm stuff. German "potato salad" doesn't even deserve the name.

The difference between "pert nigh" and "a right fur piece"Well, now, this one orter be obvious! Except
pert nigh isn't restricted to distance. If it's pert nigh on to noon, it's about dinnertime.

The differences between a redneck, a good ol' boy, and po' white trashA redneck wears a plaid shirt, has a weird haircut, and is invariably Republican. A good ol' boy can be of either party, and makes his or her way along by who they know, not what they do. Poor white trash will vote for whichever party will increase welfare benefits.

Don't assume the car with the flashing turn signal is actually going to turn 'Course not! They've prob'ly got the radio up so loud they can't hear the click--click.

Never to go snipe hunting twiceNope--fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

B
veteran
veteran
B
Southern ladies
Along the same lines, some time ago I read a list of characteristics of a true southern lady. I certainly don't remember all of them, Jackie probably does, but here are a few:

- A southern lady uses only sterling silver for a formal dinner and it's inherited, not bought.
- A lady never uses dark meat in chicken salad.
- A lady makes her own biscuits from scratch.
(in Maryland, this means "beaten biscuits", the recipe for which includes the following: "Put the dough on a tree stump [or butcher-block table, for modern cooks] and beat with the flat side of an axe for 3/4 of an hour."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Never go snipe hunting twice

You all might be interested to know (or maybe not, but I'm going to tell you anyway) that we have snipe hunts around here too. The Pennsylvania Dutchies call them "elderdritch" or "elbadritch" hunts. Never been on one myself, but I hear they're good fun, at least for the initiated members of the party.

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There is such a thing as hunting snipe. They have a very erratic flight, and were a challenge to expert wing shots. But there was also a disagreeable practical joke involving tricking gullible persons into holding a bag open allegedly to catch the snipe, and then leaving them, pretending that the snipe would be driven towards them.
From this comes the phrase to "leave someone holding the bag".

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
we were once faced with a law which did not permit us to move from the bar to a booth or table carrying our own drinks.

New Hampshire had the same law.
On Sunday the bar 'room" had to be closed.
You could get an alcoholic drink only if you were having something to eat AND if the bar "room" was used for dining on Sunday, the bar itself could not be viewable by the diners. Curtains were rigged or collapasible walls drawn across.
Additionally women could not sit at a bar, any day, any time.
Those "Blue Laws" were rescinded years ago.
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
blue laws refers to set of laws layed down in one of the NE colonies-- that were for some reason-- written on blue paper-- many of the laws concerned alcohol consuption and sale, and what could or could not be done on the sabbath..

the blue paper was a special process to paper making-- and the same blue paper was used to wrap up "Sugar loaves"-- (shaped like sugar loaf mountain (Brazil?)) it was an expensive paper.

(I like to think it was NY that had the laws first written on the blue paper, and it was my fair city that gave rise to the term-- but i have no facts to back me up!)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i stumbled upon this last night, and found it amusing. my intention was to post responsive to Sparteye's "Poison Pen" thread, but i was daunted by the length of the thread and am thus sharing it here:

This is from a site devoted to the code of etiquette in Victorian courtships (http://www.stormi.com/luv.html)

Those with thin, wiry, cold blooded, prominent features should marry round- featured, warm hearted and emotional types. The cool will unite the warmth.

Those with bright red hair and a florid complexion have an excitable temperment and should marry those with jet-black hair or a brunette.

The very fined hair, soft and delicate should not marry those like themselves.

The curly-haired should unite with those that have smooth straight hair.

The extremely irritable, nervous person should unite with the sympathetic,
slow and quiet type. This way, the excitable will be quieted by the
gentleness of the other.

The quick -motioned, rapid speaking person should marry the
calm and deliberate type..

The warmly impulsive should unite with the stoical.

Those who don't fit into specific categories (not short nor tall, not
brunette nor blond) who are more of an average type, may marry
those who are similar in form to themselves.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
This is from a site devoted to the code of etiquette in Victorian courtships http://www.stormi.com/luv.html

Thank you for a charming site. Especially enjoyed music. Went to "HOME" and found all sorts of delightful stuff.
wow

#26200 04/14/01 03:15 PM
old hand
old hand
of troy explains: blue laws refers to set of laws layed down in one of the NE colonies-- that were for some reason-- written on blue paper-- many of the laws concerned alcohol consumption and sale, and what could or could not be done on the sabbath...

Be that as it may, I've always wondered how the theatrical term "going blue" originated to describe the use of profanity onstage. Somehow I subconsciously drew a link between blue laws and going blue, but alas, I have nothing to substantiate my assumption. I suppose ICLIU, but it might make for some interesting conversation... Anyone?

#26201 04/14/01 03:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just heard on radio that the newest version of Mac software the annoying paper clip "Are you writing a letter? May I help?" is being abolished.
Seems that there is also on online announcement with the voice of actor/comic Gilbert Godfrey protesting the banishment of Paper Clip. The mind boggles!

One can't help but wonder what Gates has in mind ... aside from seling more software to desperate users.
wow

N
addict
addict
N
Can't decide if this was a case of opposites attract or a Victorian hope of breeding out the extremes.

#26203 04/15/01 12:26 AM
N
addict
addict
N
Our software at work allows you to change your wizard icon to other characters, the only two of which I remember are a cartoon cat and a dog. Both a bit too cute for my taste. I simply hide the annoying wizard.

#26204 04/15/01 04:21 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
NO sense of humor, those academic programmers. I liked the ATEX response much more better.

I do not think so! MatLab,which serves the purpose of academicians, gives most stupid answers to the question `why'. Here are some:

The computer did it.
Some not very bald very rich system manager wanted it.
To fool the smart and smart programmer.
Why not?
You insisted on it.
A system manager obeyed the not very tall mathematician.
It is be obvious.
It is beyond the scope of this discussion.

The best one I have found: `R.T.F.M.'

Here is the reply one gets for `mailstat', a Linux command. `Most people don't type their own logfiles; but, what do I care?'

Manoj.

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html
#26205 04/15/01 01:40 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
kummini Re: computer stuff
I do not think so! MatLab,which serves the purpose of academicians, gives most stupid answers to the question `why'.

Ok, Kummini, I give !
wow

#26206 04/15/01 02:01 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Especially for AnnaS, apologies if this a YART

Max, YART y'all!
hehehe* (Meanwhile: thanks, Jackie, for leaping into the breach)

"It is not unusual to find a strong, confident
woman who thrives on progress and innovation.
It is unusual, however, to find a strong,
confident woman who tempers that toughness
with a generous amount of grace and charm.
Even more unusual is a woman with those traits
who also clings to tradition, deeply treasures
family and cherishes history and heirlooms.

Unusual that is, unless you’re in the South
where these women are everywhere."

For more, if you can take it :

http://www.whatsouthernwomenknow.com

---
*Ænigma wants Heidegger

#26207 04/15/01 02:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
(shaped like sugar loaf mountain (Brazil?))

Yep, Helen. Pão de Açucar, in Rio. But you already knew that

#26208 04/17/01 11:01 AM
R
addict
addict
R
And some operating systems are much more literary in their messages. BEOS has a web browser called NetPositive (which I suppose might be available separately) which provides normal error messages but each one is accompanied with a haiku (Japanese three-part poem normally with 17 syllables.) And there are multiple haiku (see I remembered the plural) for the same situation.
For example, for "Site not Found" you might get:

The website you seek
is beyond our perception
But others await.

or

With searching comes loss
and the presence of absence
The site is not found.

or

You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on
The site is not here.

Rod

#26209 04/17/01 07:44 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

I've always wondered how the theatrical term "going blue" originated to describe the use of profanity onstage.

To make the air blue: a vigorous and plentiful use of cuss words. According to Charles Funk, the origination of the meaning is a matter of guesswork, but he traces the blue/obscene association back through associations with blue devils (1616) and the plague (1742). Joseph Roppolo, of Tulane University, associates the devil/blue meaning with blue blazes = hell, and hence to obscene.

On the other hand, I recall reading someone's explanation that the smokey atmosphere of the places in which obscene entertainment was presented lead to the blue association.

#26210 04/17/01 08:47 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
A pal with a really wicked sense of humor sent me this:
How good are you on "COMMON KNOWLEDGE?"
No cheating! No looking around; no using anything on or in your desk. Can you beat 18 right? (The average.)
Write down your answers and check after completing all the questions. Remember now no cheating! It is not as easy as it seems. Answers are at the end. Good luck!

1. On a standard traffic light, is the green on the top or bottom?
2. How many states are there? (Don't laugh, some people don't know)
3. In which hand is the Statue of Liberty's torch?
4. What 6 colors are on the classic Campbell's soup label?
5. What 2 letters don't appear on the telephone dial? (No cheating!)
6. What 2 numbers on the telephone dial don't have letters by them?
7. When you walk does your left arm swing w/your right or left leg?
8. How many matches are in a standard pack?
9. On the United States flag is the top stripe red or white?
10. What is the lowest number on the FM dial?
11. Which way does water go down the drain, counter-or clockwise?
12. Which way does a "no smoking" sign's slash run?
13. How many channels on a VHF TV dial?
14. Which side of a women's blouse are the buttons on?
15. On an NY license plate, is New York on the top or bottom?
16. Which way do fans rotate?
17. Whose face is on a dime?
18. How many sides does a stop sign have?
19. Do books have even-numbered pages on the right or left side?
20. How many lug nuts are on a standard car wheel?
21. How many sides are there on a standard pencil?
22. Sleepy, Happy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc. Who's missing?
23. How many hot dog buns are in a standard package?
25. On which playing card is the cardmaker's trademark?
26. On which side of a standard venetian blind is the cord that adjusts the opening between the slats?
27. On the back of a $1 bill, what is in the center?
28. There are 12 buttons on a touch tone phone. What 2 symbols bear no digits?
29. How many curves are there in the standard paper clip?
30. Does a merry-go-round turn counter-or clockwise?

-----------------------------------------------------------
Don't Look at answers until you complete all the questions:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Answers:
1. Bottom
2. 50 (please tell me you at least got this one!)
3. Right
4. Blue, red, white, yellow, black, and gold
5. Q, Z
6. 1, 0
7. Right
8. 20
9. Red
10. 88
11. Counter (unless you happen to be south of the equator)
12. Towards bottom right
13. 12 (no #1)
14. Left
15. Top
16. Clockwise as you look at it
17. Roosevelt (FDR)
18. 8
19. Left
20. 5
21. 6
22. Bashful
23. 8
24. Did you notice there wasn't one ?
25. Ace of spades
26. Left
27. ONE
28. *, #
29. 3
30. Counter
How did you do?
wow (23 without cheating)

#26211 04/18/01 12:16 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Hey, wow nice quiz. I started on it before realising that there were too many US-centric questions for me to be able to score a less than humiliating mark. Then I realised that the number of US-specific questions could serve as an excuse for my low score on the ones I ought to have known, like not remembering which hand the SOL's torch is in.

#26212 04/18/01 12:51 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I enjoyed your quiz, wow, but I must take issue with the quizmongers regarding one of the answers. As to question #11, "Which way does water go down the drain, counter-or clockwise?" the correct answer is "either, regardless of the hemisphere you are in."

As summarized in The Straight Dope,

The boring truth is that water drains every which way no matter what hemisphere you're in, for reasons which have to do mostly with the shape of the drain, the way you poured in the water in the first place, and so on.

Persons interested in the details can find the discussion at

http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a1_161.html

#26213 04/18/01 01:14 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
water go down the drain, counter-or clockwise
That's why the answer says :

I know the quiz is US-centric but it's got the kind of questions that surprises you about things you are sure you know!

Don't worry Max, I really had to think about the Lady Liberty torch question and then I got it wrong too.
The other one that really threw me was #28. But (looking smug while patting self on the back -e) I did NOT look at the phone sitting on my desk.
Sigh-ning off
wow

#26214 04/18/01 01:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I, too, wish to take exception to the common knowedge quiz:
four of the 50 "states" are aptually® (hi, tsuwm) commonwealths, though that had nothing to do with my scoring lower than wow.

My sister-in-law just sent me the following. I make no claim as to its validity. A couple of my answers were on the mark, and a couple more were creepily off.

The Dalai Lama Personality Test

This test is very exciting. It only has four (4) questions, and you'll be surprised about the results! Please do not scroll your screens to know the results before starting.

The human mind is like an umbrella: it works better when it opens. It is fun to answer the questions, but please follow the instructions. MAKE A WISH BEFORE STARTING THE TEST.
Caution! Answer the questions step by step. This test has only four questions, but if you see the answers before finishing, your results will not be honest or accurate.

Scroll your screen slowly and write down your answers.

This is a serious questionnaire that will tell you a lot about your inner self.

First, order the following animals according to your preference: a) Cow; b)Tiger; c) Sheep; d) Horse; e) Pig.

Second, write a word that describes each of the following: a) Dog; b) Cat; c) Rat; d) Coffee; e) Ocean.

Third, think about someone (who also knows you and is important to you), that can be related to the following colors (do not repeat your answers.)

Name only one person per color: a) Yellow; b)Orange; c)Red; d) White; e)Green.

Finally, write down your favorite number, as well as your favorite weekday.

Did you finish? Verify that all your answers are accurate. Last chance to verify...
===========================================================

I shall add a bit here, to make a visual break before going down to the answers. Normally I simply delete all these things that say Pass this on and your wishes will be
granted, etc. But there seems to be some interest here in taking quizzes, so I thought I'd put this as it is a bit different. I wonder if the Dalai Lama really said any of this?

Now, look at the answers below

This will define your priorities in life: Cow: means career. Tiger: means pride. Sheep: means love. Horse: means family. Pig: means money.

Your description of Dog implies your own personality. Your description of Cat implies your spouse or couple's personality. Your description of Rat implies the personality of your enemies. Your description of Coffee is how you interpret sex. Your description of Ocean implies
your own life.

Yellow: Someone you will never forget. Orange: Someone you could consider a good friend. Red: Someone you really love. White: Your twin soul. Green: Someone you will remember all your life.

Send this message to as many persons as your favorite number, and your wish will be granted on your favorite day. This is what the Dalai Lama has said about the millennium, and it only takes a few minutes to read and think about it.

#26215 04/18/01 01:41 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

water go down the drain, counter-or clockwise
That's why the answer says :

Perhaps I am being dense, but the question and answer as phrased in the quiz suggest to me that the author believes that water drains in a counterclockwise direction in the northern hemisphere and a clockwise direction in the southern hemisphere. That is not true; water will drain in either direction in either hemisphere.

[Quixotic-quest-to-kill-old-wives-tales emoticon]

#26216 04/18/01 01:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sparteye sputters: As to question #11, "Which way does water go down the drain, counter-or clockwise?" the correct answer is "either, regardless of the hemisphere you are in."

And well she might. Read the link she posted if you disagree with her. Coriolois Effect only holds true for large scale phenomena. Even tornadoes will violate it. Bathroom sinks ain't got a snowball's chance of being that predictable.

Also 20 depends. Most smaller cars these days have only four

I'm going to check my NYS license plate later. I suspect it may have moved on y'all.

#26217 04/18/01 02:24 PM
R
addict
addict
R
And the telephone on my desk (which is the one I stare at all day) has the letters QZ on the Zero button. (And on at least one mobile I have since looked at, the Q is in with PRS and the Z with WXY) So that was another two questions I got "wrong"! Does any one know why the letters Q and Z were omitted first time around? UK phones lost their letters for a while (1975-ish?) after the London exchanges lost their alphabetic designations I think, and many households still don't have them. That is one of the reasons why the 0800-BET-ON-A-HORSE type numbers have never made it big in UK. Which leads us to a new game. Since each number is shared by 3 letters (in general) you can change the letters in alphabetic telephone numbers (and what is the correct word for that??) to make another phrase. Any good examples out there?

Rod

#26218 04/18/01 03:07 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Why were Q and Z left off? just speculation, but in US (and UK-- but I don't know about rest of the world) phone numbers originally had "3 + X" format-- where the first 3 digits named the "exchange" and the next 3 or 4 digits the actual household. to make things easy, exchanges where given names, and the numbers matched. Since Q always take U-- it was a limiting factor. One reason for switching to all numbers was to increase exchanges. While 5 of the 8 button do have vowels-- it was getting harder and harder.. and some combo's just couldn't be used if you wanted to have "words" 9, 7, 5--combos .

Major cities "ran out" of numbers-- and continue to do so. NYC used to all be 212--now Manhattan has 212 (and something else i always forget) the boro's share 718, cell phones and beepers are all 917. (and didn't i read a story about every phone exchange in London being changed a few years ago? –numbers went from 6 digits to 7?)

And my phones have Q and Z on keys 7 and 9.

#26219 04/18/01 03:39 PM
F
addict
addict
F
I seem to remember a story a few years ago about the Girl Scouts of America changing their national phone number to one that either had been owned recently by or was very similar to the number of a phone sex line. Anyone remember the details?

Flatlander

#26220 04/18/01 03:45 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
Re: More than you ever wanted to know about North American Telephone Exchanges

The whole kit and kaboodle can be found at the below url. In the meantime, did you ever think you'd get an etymology for "555?"

"It was considered difficult to form words/names easy to pronounce from the letters JKL, PRS, WXY. However, San Francisco had their KLondike exchange (55x), and in the later 1950's and early 1960's, fictitious exchange namesin radio/TV/print entertainment and advertisements used KL-5 or KLondike-5."

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/telecom-archives/archives/history/exchange.names.recommended

old hand
old hand
Yeah, well the phone on my desk has the letters "OPER" next to the 0 key...

And as for alphabetic translations for phone numbers, there are several sites that I googled up, the most straightforward of which is: http://phonespell.org/ My work number ends up being "61-an-ass-pup", among other similarly surreal possibilities. Fun toy.

#26222 04/18/01 04:12 PM
R
addict
addict
R
I think Ms O'Ftroy (a contraction of the Irish Fitzroy perhaps) is correct with her supposition. The letters were there to help with named exchanges, were dropped when they limited the expansion, and have been revived to cater for text entry for various applications.

UK has had two major changes in recent years; London and a few other places changed twice. Some of the changes helped ("08" means a reduced charge of some kind, "09" a premium rate) and new numbers are of the format 012-3456-7890. And for some obscure reason the first digit on all numbers is always "0" which is dropped when calling from abroad.

Rod

#26223 04/18/01 04:31 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In US- most long distance (or really other "area"codes) require a 1 first -- so inside of queens, i have a seven digit #, say 123-4567. but if calling home from Manhattan, its 1-718-123-4567.

for international calls (a misnomer, since i can call Canada, parts of Caribean, and Mexico "Locally" --1 + area code and number) you first dial 011 (US internationall Access code-- might even be world standard) then the country codes (2 or 3 digit) and then the city code (area code) and the number. (and yes, if i were calling my sister inside of Japan her number requires a 1 +Area (city)code +7 digit number but when i call internationally, i drop the 1.)

The London Museum of Science and Industry has (had?) a great exhibit on an old fashioned telephone switching box-- You could dial a number and what the switches "switch". great fun!

Of course, electronic (tone switching) is infinately faster-- but the first computer were slow. the keyboard of a phone was intentional laid out opposite from a calculator-- since many professionals could punch in numbers faster that the phone system could first handle them.

US phone companies charged more for "Tone" service, even though it saved them $$$$$. to keep a phone "alive" only takes 5 volts. but to ring or generate a dial tone takes 40 volts. those 40 volts of usage are "not charged for" charges start once you "connect" so the faster you can connect, the faster phone companies start making money. Tones are faster than "pulses"-- so cheaper for phone companies to operate.

#26224 04/18/01 07:40 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Yellow: Someone you will never forget. Orange: Someone you could consider a good friend. Red: Someone you really love.

If the Dalai Lama said this, I wonder how one says "what a load of yak's turd" in Tibetan? When I read that question, the three colours in question all brought to mind people I am not particularly fond of. Yellow and Orange both made me think of people who have a (for me) rather fulsome exuberance about them, and Red made me think of someone who has an unhappy, angrily aggressive disposition. I could not even manage to think of someone I would associate with the other two colours. Maybe it was actually the Dalai's llama who came up with this quiz?

#26225 04/23/01 12:43 PM
old hand
old hand
yak's turd
Hi Max,
the results in my case were so much the opposite of what I considered true about myself up to now, that I started to wonder if it's actually one's "shadow" (subconscious) which is probed here? (random hits would be less interesting)

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith