Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
There is such a thing as hunting snipe. They have a very erratic flight, and were a challenge to expert wing shots. But there was also a disagreeable practical joke involving tricking gullible persons into holding a bag open allegedly to catch the snipe, and then leaving them, pretending that the snipe would be driven towards them.
From this comes the phrase to "leave someone holding the bag".

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
we were once faced with a law which did not permit us to move from the bar to a booth or table carrying our own drinks.

New Hampshire had the same law.
On Sunday the bar 'room" had to be closed.
You could get an alcoholic drink only if you were having something to eat AND if the bar "room" was used for dining on Sunday, the bar itself could not be viewable by the diners. Curtains were rigged or collapasible walls drawn across.
Additionally women could not sit at a bar, any day, any time.
Those "Blue Laws" were rescinded years ago.
wow

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
blue laws refers to set of laws layed down in one of the NE colonies-- that were for some reason-- written on blue paper-- many of the laws concerned alcohol consuption and sale, and what could or could not be done on the sabbath..

the blue paper was a special process to paper making-- and the same blue paper was used to wrap up "Sugar loaves"-- (shaped like sugar loaf mountain (Brazil?)) it was an expensive paper.

(I like to think it was NY that had the laws first written on the blue paper, and it was my fair city that gave rise to the term-- but i have no facts to back me up!)

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i stumbled upon this last night, and found it amusing. my intention was to post responsive to Sparteye's "Poison Pen" thread, but i was daunted by the length of the thread and am thus sharing it here:

This is from a site devoted to the code of etiquette in Victorian courtships (http://www.stormi.com/luv.html)

Those with thin, wiry, cold blooded, prominent features should marry round- featured, warm hearted and emotional types. The cool will unite the warmth.

Those with bright red hair and a florid complexion have an excitable temperment and should marry those with jet-black hair or a brunette.

The very fined hair, soft and delicate should not marry those like themselves.

The curly-haired should unite with those that have smooth straight hair.

The extremely irritable, nervous person should unite with the sympathetic,
slow and quiet type. This way, the excitable will be quieted by the
gentleness of the other.

The quick -motioned, rapid speaking person should marry the
calm and deliberate type..

The warmly impulsive should unite with the stoical.

Those who don't fit into specific categories (not short nor tall, not
brunette nor blond) who are more of an average type, may marry
those who are similar in form to themselves.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
This is from a site devoted to the code of etiquette in Victorian courtships http://www.stormi.com/luv.html

Thank you for a charming site. Especially enjoyed music. Went to "HOME" and found all sorts of delightful stuff.
wow

#26200 04/14/01 03:15 PM
old hand
old hand
of troy explains: blue laws refers to set of laws layed down in one of the NE colonies-- that were for some reason-- written on blue paper-- many of the laws concerned alcohol consumption and sale, and what could or could not be done on the sabbath...

Be that as it may, I've always wondered how the theatrical term "going blue" originated to describe the use of profanity onstage. Somehow I subconsciously drew a link between blue laws and going blue, but alas, I have nothing to substantiate my assumption. I suppose ICLIU, but it might make for some interesting conversation... Anyone?

#26201 04/14/01 03:27 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just heard on radio that the newest version of Mac software the annoying paper clip "Are you writing a letter? May I help?" is being abolished.
Seems that there is also on online announcement with the voice of actor/comic Gilbert Godfrey protesting the banishment of Paper Clip. The mind boggles!

One can't help but wonder what Gates has in mind ... aside from seling more software to desperate users.
wow

N
addict
addict
N
Can't decide if this was a case of opposites attract or a Victorian hope of breeding out the extremes.

#26203 04/15/01 12:26 AM
N
addict
addict
N
Our software at work allows you to change your wizard icon to other characters, the only two of which I remember are a cartoon cat and a dog. Both a bit too cute for my taste. I simply hide the annoying wizard.

#26204 04/15/01 04:21 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
NO sense of humor, those academic programmers. I liked the ATEX response much more better.

I do not think so! MatLab,which serves the purpose of academicians, gives most stupid answers to the question `why'. Here are some:

The computer did it.
Some not very bald very rich system manager wanted it.
To fool the smart and smart programmer.
Why not?
You insisted on it.
A system manager obeyed the not very tall mathematician.
It is be obvious.
It is beyond the scope of this discussion.

The best one I have found: `R.T.F.M.'

Here is the reply one gets for `mailstat', a Linux command. `Most people don't type their own logfiles; but, what do I care?'

Manoj.

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith