Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#25584 04/02/01 11:13 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Now who will bell the cat?

I just did. But I won't hold my breath.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm with Uppercase Gooseberry and The Fibress here. As a poor benighted US'n, I have never seen it spelled Ghandi. I have heard it pronounced in a variety of ways. I think expecting someone not brought up with the proper pronunciation of the dh phomene is expecting a bit much, but one should make some effort to pronounce names correctly, at least if one is in a position that makes one's pronunciation widely heard. I have similar problems when I hear the name Chechnya pronounced CHECH-nee-ya. The proper pronunciation would be, at least in Russian, something more like ch'ch-NYA. I will accept chech-NYA, which is the pronunciation Anne Garrels of NPR uses.

#25586 04/02/01 02:02 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear Shanks ... this is not directly on thread ... forgive the digression ... but could you help me out with the correct quote ?
Here is the thing : At the New York World's Fair in April 1964 I had the pleasure of visiting the beautiful India Pavillion and carved into the wall beside the door was a quote from Gandhi which I remember as follows :

"There go my people. I must hurry and catch them up, as I am their leader."

It is so succinct and perfect that I have often (mis)quoted it.
Any help greatly appreciated.

As another aside, the Irish Pavillion was next door and we had a great afternoon introducing our new friends from India to the glories of Irish coffee.
wow

#25587 04/03/01 08:22 AM
shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Wow

I'm afariad I haven't a clue. Yahoo searches throw up much about him - but their quotation sections are not easy to search. Perhaps you'll have more patience than I?

cheer

the sunshine warrior

K
stranger
stranger
K
Most of us in India learnt even Asian names the way it is spelt by the English. Till recently books used to carry `Mao Se-Tung', but now most books here spell it as `Mao Ze-Dong'.

Off the topic: `Must a name mean something?' Alice asked doubtfully. `Of course it must,' Humpty Dumpty said with a short laugh: `my name means the shape I am -- and a good handsome shape it is, too. With a name like your, you might be any shape, almost.' Lewis Carroll - `Through the Looking Glass'.

Manoj

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html

Bangalore India
12°58' N, 77°39' E

http://www.geocities.com/kummini/index.html
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
. Till recently books used to carry `Mao Se-Tung', but now most books here spell it as `Mao Ze-Dong'

If I remember it right, the Chinese standardised Latin spellings of the words of written Chinese in the 1970s as part of an effort to make the Latin alphabet the standard--or second standard--for the written language. That is, these spellings were introduced by the Beijing government as part of a literacy campaign in China. ("Written Chinese" because a former board member informed--by way of correcting--me that spoken Chinese doesn't exist.)

#25590 04/03/01 10:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
`Must a name mean something?'

kummini, do any of your names have a meaning that you'd care to share? Mine means "The Supplanter".

R
addict
addict
R
would ouch for the probably definitiveness of her pronunciation.

Any more examples of compliments being turned into the opposite by a typo? Or was it deliberate?

In general I agree with the sentiments expressed. One should try to get names right (i.e. as the owner desires) in spelling and pronounciation, although some "foreign" sounds can sound false and forced in a "home" context, and might justifiably be modified, slightly. One has to make exceptions for honest mistakes and typos however.

I am having difficulty in hearing the difference between the "n" in "answer" and "anthrax" apart from the preceding vowel sound. As far as I can tell my tongue hits the same place. I might have a coarse ear as well as a coarse mind, though.

Rod

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I am having difficulty in hearing the difference between the "n" in "answer" and "anthrax"

hmm...never really thought about that, so I tried it out. My tongue lightly touches my teeth for "anthrax," and somewhere on or just behind or, probably, on the "dental ridge(?)" for "answer." The difference in sound is very slight.

shanks Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Hi Rod and David

Since you asked, let me try a brief trotting out of my understanding of the differences in sounds (to Northern Indian ears at least) that n or m (as we have them) would take.

Basically, in languages using Devanagari (Sanskrit, Hindi, Marathi), there are five different nasal sounds. Four of them sound like our n (in different contexts) and the fifth is represented by our m.

Each nasal sound 'attaches' to a set of four consonants (unvoiced, unvoiced aspirated/plosive, voiced, voiced aspirated/plosive), so that 20 consonants are involved in total. (There are a further 5-10 consonants in the script, but these do not get conjoined to preceding nasal sounds - s, sh, r, h, l, y, v etc).

I'll try to illustrate by providing as closely as possible, English words for these twenty consonants (with the nasal tone preceding). For some, blank brackets ( ) will indicate no English equivalent, and (full) brackets will indicate the consonant, but no nasal conjunction (I couldn't think of one).

Set1:

Anchor, (loch), anger, "Unghh"

Set2:

Crunch, (achhoo), injury, ( )

Set3:

Anther, ( ), (the), ( )

Set4:

Inter, ( ), under, ( )

Set5:

Umpire, amphora, umbrage, ( )

You will notice, if you observe yourself making these sounds, that the first is a sort of 'ng', the second is almost unpronounced - think Hispanic 'n' with the tilde on top, the third is the classic 'n' of nose or nanny, and the fourth is slightly less pronounced (pun intended) than the third. The fifth, of course, is our classic 'm'.

The point about ordering the sets of consonants in this way (as they are when taught to students of the language) is that each successive set is produced from further forward in the mouth (apart of the slight anomaly of Set4 which uses a flick of the tongue). Starting with the 'k' sequence back near the uvula, to the purely labial 'p'.

Hope this helps.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,364
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 628 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith