Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
a spot of dramamine will allay those odd rumblings

One Dramamine and I am out like a light for six hours!
(Hmmmmmm, she mused, is Faldage suggesting I should take a tablet for that very reason, giving others a chance to post)
Fat chance!
wow

B
veteran
veteran
B
Sic transit gloria mundi
Faldage knows the meaning of this: Gloria Mundi threw up on the streetcar.

B
veteran
veteran
B
training kids
So if you hope your offspring will turn out to have nice neat habits, this consists of high-apple-in-the-sky hopes?

Don't know what age you have attained in this karmic cycle, Helen, but if you are as old as WOW and I, you might remember seeing Eleanor Roosevelt singing (if you could call it that) this song on TV (Ed Sullivan Show, I believe) to support Adlai Stevenson.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well BYB-- I don't care how they fold their linens in their own homes-- or if they even use Faldage's easy attitude-- but in my house-- if they are staying over as guests-- they have learned to do it my way!

and actually, my daughter is more fanatical than I am about many more things-- but my son is more easy going.

Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
In reply to:

IMNSHO expecting strangers and newbies to Search for every question they wish to bring up before bringing it up to avoid the wrath of the oldbies is unrealistic. The day of everyone's been here since the beginning are over.

Thank you, Faldage. I'm sure the other latecomers have tried, as have I, to search for prior discussions on certain topics in vain attempts to avoid the cry of the dreaded YART. But, I find that tracking things down through the search function can be enormously difficult, and many times I have been unsure whether a topic has already been addressed. I appreciate your tolerance.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A balance will be maintained... just as Yarts become Ayarts (both "almost yet" and "already yet").

This is not a "chat" room and truly eliminates (thank...) the possibility because it is not "real" time. All one has (some more than others) is the sense of history and the "over 2222" different versions of it. This, coupled with "the amount of posts that the "audience" can support" factor, should and usually does push the sense of "shorter" posts (...help me if I miss a week). It can't remove the context for any past or present topic (be they just crossing over the same word) and shouldn't impose reserve from either: a "newcomer" (nothing late about) worrying about unknowingly YARTing (search this!), or even "Addicts-Pooh Bahs" to participate with a YART saving (and time saving) link (well, time saving for us YARTers anyway.

All in good fun, of course!

#25250 03/31/01 10:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If I had the energy, the time and the motivation, I'd find out how often YARTs have been discussed on the Board. But I haven't any of those things so I won't.

I vote that we either (a) make it a rule that if you say it's a YART then you always include the reference to the thread the original topic was in, or (b) you change the definition of YART to "Yet Another Rethreaded Topic".

Whichever, I have no problem with YARTs but I DO have a problem with the constant references to them!

And that's the last thing I have to say on the topic of rehashed topics. Until next time.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#25251 03/31/01 02:43 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
CK - Thanks, and as usual, well focused and ...out of my mouth.

I, also, hereby, with this statement, to the best of my ability (or lack thereof), promise to not cry YART, insinuate YARTing, or make anyone a nervous "wreck" about the possibility of YARTing until the next time I do it unknowingly!

#25252 03/31/01 04:26 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Enough!
Don't like Yarts?
Discussions of Yarts?
Making Yarts?
Annoyed by Yarts?

Get over it already!
Life is short -- move on.
wow

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,344
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 770 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,546
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith