Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#25000 03/28/01 07:05 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
ensuring transsubstantiation

Don't really know, and don't care, as I don't believe in the doctrine of transsubstantiation. But I do know this was/is big time stuff and no priest would take any chances. The last thing one would want to happen would be for someone to receive a piece of ordinary bread instead of consecrated bread changed into the body of Christ; he would not be in a state of grace and, God forbid, he might die while in a state of sin, and go to hell (or purgatory at least). You may think this is a lot of hair-splitting, but a pious Catholic would take all this most seriously.

Where's Father Steve when you want him? Come to that, where is he anyway -- haven't heard from him in weeks.

#25001 03/28/01 07:24 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<Don't really know, and don't care>>

Come on, Mr. Youngbalt, that wasn't a question, it was an argument--I'm suggesting the transsubstantiation wouldn't occur because of the broken spirit. ;)

#25002 03/28/01 09:21 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Perfect-- it has to do with the power of word! the glammor of grammer! and it all hocus-pocus! all that missing is the bit of wax that makes it insincere!

#25003 03/31/01 01:31 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
is the bit of wax that makes it insincere!

Hear, here.!

#25004 03/31/01 10:35 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
They were afraid that if they put it in the hand so the communicant could put it in his own mouth, some might not eat it, but take it away to use as a charm or for some other impious purpose.

You can understand their attitude. The Roman church wasn't about to give up its monopoly on simony, was it?

[Memories of Blackadder as Archibishop of Canterbury sorting through ten-packs of Christ's fingers emoticon]

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#25005 04/03/01 07:16 PM
T
thea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
sorry for the delay in responding. did some checking on the phrase 'abreq ad habra' as the derivation of abracadabra. the supposed meaning 'hurl your thunderbolt even unto death' does not sound hebrew to me. the hebrew word for death is mavet. yes, barak means thunderbolt, abara means 'i will create'. there is also berah meaning fortress, bar meaning son, baruch meaning blessing, and abad meaning perish. without vowels and with meaning being subscribed to things over time, it is hard to say. i personally like the disappearing word meaning since it has a long history to the theory. nothing else i've heard has that depth.

thea

thea, poet and scientist
www.theaiberall.com

thea, poet and scientist
www.theaiberall.com
#25006 04/03/01 07:22 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
i personally like the disappearing word meaning since it has a long history to the theory. nothing else i've heard has that depth.

I like the *sense* of disappearing, but how does the OED find "abad" in "abra?"

#25007 04/12/01 01:06 AM
T
thea Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
it's not the OED that makes the connection between "abbada ke dabra" and "abracadabra". it is just a theory i am trying to track down. i have not found a formal linguistic connection yet, and i am trying to find a linguist that either supports or rejects this theory.

thea, poet and scientist
www.theaiberall.com

thea, poet and scientist
www.theaiberall.com
#25008 04/12/01 04:04 AM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
it's not the OED that makes the connection between "abbada ke dabra" and "abracadabra". it is just a theory i am trying to track down. i have not found a formal linguistic connection yet, and i am trying to find a linguist that either supports or rejects this theory.

Damned if "thea" isn't lightening.

Obviously, the OED end isn't load bearing end of the question. How do you, how does one get abad out of abra? And do you think you preference may prejudice? You say, "i personally like the disappearing word meaning since it has a long history to the theory. nothing else i've heard has that depth."

You mention a theory, which you say has a long history, but you don't give the theory or evidence its history. If all you wanted to know was whether anyone here had heard of it, you could have had your answer in a post of two letters. I'm guessing you might want a little more engagement. Of course, you are more than welcome to zing around like a buzz bomb if you want, I don't think anyone minds--but you have to understand, it does make it hard to chat. Why don't you pull up a chair and stay a while? The kettle's just boiling.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 651 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith