About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#24947 03/29/01 04:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Mav adds: using two words - going back to the fine old Medieval days when clerks charged by the word and the length of the word

This goes back even further. In the dawning days of the English language as it met up with Latin in the days of Early West Saxon, et al., translations from Latin would require two English words to bracket the meaning of a Latin word that didn't quite match any one word in English.

#24948 03/29/01 04:55 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
That's interesting, F; have you got any ref you could pass on? I've only seen interlinear glosses for most translations from that period. Thanks.

#24949 03/29/01 06:15 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
mav would know: you got any ref you could pass on?

I believe mention is made of it in Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Grammar and probably in another one I have lying next my bed of a more recent vintage. I'll get back... No wait a minute, maybe I can amazon it. Nope, the likely candidates are all out of print so they don't show the cover. I'll have to get back to you. Lemme call myself up and leave me a message so I don't forget. There, now I gots no excuse.

#24950 03/29/01 07:00 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Insane/crazy

You also have the phenomenon which occurred after the Norman invasion, when a French/Latin word would be used alongside an Anglo-Saxon word. The most famous example of this is Cranmer's phrase, "We pray and beseech Thee", 'pray' being from French 'prier' (or the Norman-French equivalent) and 'beseech' from A.S. 'besecen', both meaning basically the same thing.

Then there are the pairs most famous in the culinary area, calf/veal, swine/pork, sheep/mutton, cow/beef etc.

#24951 03/29/01 07:14 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and cob-- as in cobweb-- from cobbie(s)=spiders.

curiously Honey-- was not supplanted by the old indo-europian word (as found in most europian languages-- a m with a vowel, and an d or t or s and an other vowel.. ie. mede (italian i think) and melitas (wrong, wrong, wrong-- but i'm in a field office with not a dictionary in sight!) but close to that for the greek--(Nicholas-- or Inselpeter or any of a long list,) --correct me, please.. and maybe a list of the words used for honey...

in english the only word that uses the same root is mead--( honeywine)- (following the same pattern as cow/beef)

#24952 03/30/01 10:05 AM
old hand
old hand
Definitely PIE, Helen. In Hindi, madhu is the word for wine - also therefore meaning something very sweet (and also metaphorically - so hence, the local tavern for wine and so on). It is also therefore used as a (not too) common name for children - both male and female.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

#24953 03/30/01 01:28 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Speaking of ancient beverages, there was a news item recently about a golden drinking cup, which on testing was said to show that the owner had mixed wine and beer plus honey. I suspect that the beverages had been consumed separately, without washing the cup.

#24954 03/30/01 01:37 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
<<Speaking of ancient beverages>>

Have you read about the Greek vessel wreck they've under two miles of water in the Mediteranean? It was a large cargo ship, as evidenced by the hundreds or thousands of amphorae (?) of wine strewn in heaps in the area. "They" were using a remote-controlled robot to search for a lost submarine when the discovered it. The key importance of the discovery is that it seems to disprove the long-stanging assumption that the tales of high-seas expeditions surviving ancient Greece were untrue and that the ancient mariners never lost sight of land. The story was reported in the New York Times this week, and I'm sure it's still available on that site http://www.nytimes.com

This is Binky, wishing you a pleasant from the rings of Saturn, signing off.

#24955 03/30/01 03:15 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You also have the phenomenon which occurred after the Norman invasion, when a French/Latin word would be used alongside an Anglo-Saxon word. The most famous example of this is Cranmer's phrase, "We pray and beseech Thee", 'pray' being from French 'prier' (or the Norman-French equivalent) and 'beseech' from A.S. 'besecen', both meaning basically the same thing."

"And, sigh, we are still trying to get rid of the consequent redundant doublets -- and even triplets! -- which pepper legal writing.

Clear and unambiguous
Null, void and of no effect
I give, bequeath and devise

I edit the redundancies in materials which Judges use in their opinions, and I'll be damned if they don't put them back in more often than not. What, I ask them, is the difference between clear statutory language and unambiguous statutory language? A glaze covers their eyes; they don't even realize what they are doing; they just follow a habitual linguistic rhythm.

#24956 03/30/01 05:21 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
on my way home from dropping my daughter off at school today, the radio traffic reporter advised that "there is some kind of problem on the 405 freeway, according to a vaguely nebulous CHP report". did he mean it was ever-so-slightly unclear???

which reminds me.... isn't "witty repartee" redundant?? it seems i always hear the two words juxtaposed.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith