The trick is to do the same thing they do Blanche. You'll notice that they keep repeating the same thing to you over and over (the allotment does not apply to you, this is standard practice, the deduction is not allowed, ad infinitum). Then, when you finally lose it, they win because, well, they can’t be expected to deal with anyone who is irrational can they.

I hate to tell you this, but sometimes, they are even working on other things while talking to you since they keep saying the same things over again. They aren't stressed. People in insurance claim departments are specifically taught how to do this (we have one of Canada's biggest insurance companies in our office building and it boils the blood to hear them talking about their clients sometimes)

Have your arguments ready before you call and then repeat them over and over. In your insurance case highlighting the specific clauses in your policy helps. Read them out to him/her… “no this applies to my situation because, as written in clause number 876XI I, the insuree must…” Repeat it.

Also, know whom you are speaking to. A clerk in a clothing store does not have the authority to change store policy. So if the sign says 'no returns' she won’t take any. Remember, she is a salaried worker like most of us, and will most likely get fired if she does not follow policy. Ask for the store manager. If she doesn’t have the authority, go to the head office.

The same applies to the insurance guys, keep on going up until you reach the person that can really help you. If the person you are arguing with won’t give you the name of her supervisor, getting it is too easy. Call the receptionist and say in a very cheerful voice "Hi, how are you? This is Blanche Patch, can you remind me who Mary's supervisor is. I know I wrote it here somewhere but I can’t find it. Alzheimer moment I guess (slight chuckle)." This works waaay better that just saying ‘who is Mary’s supervisor’ because then the receptionist (who is not usually supposed to give out names) gets suspicious that you are a discontent client.

In other situations, all you have to do is tell them what you expect. For example, while staying at a hotel in Florida, there was a knock at our door at two o’clock in the morning. I told person the room was occupied. The night manager phoned about an hour later to tell me she was checking to see if it was really us since our car was in the parking lot and the door to our room was locked (they never explained that one). Scared the daylight out of me since I have an elderly grandparent who was ill when I left home. Well, I complained to the manager, who said she was sorry but what could she do. I told her I was expecting that night to be no-charge and she agreed to this.

I also think you have to pick your battles. Is this a trench in which you are prepared to die? If it is – hang on and don`t let go until you get what you want.