Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#24360 03/22/01 08:36 PM
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
I have a English-German letter writer - a book printed in 1870 which gives sample correspondence of all kinds, business and personal, in both English and German. I'm guessing that my ancestors used it to learn English as a second language.

There is a web site which will "translate" text into something vicious, supposedly to enable the mild-mannered to express themselves more forcibly. See www.thespark.com/burn

I decided to see what would happen if I gave the 21st century web service some 19th century letters of admonition. The result was disappointing and vile. I prefer the more elegant letter writer versions.

Here are the letter writer versions, along with the website translations. Because the translations are vulgar, I have obscured them to protect the delicate...

========

Sir:

I should never have thought you capable of writing to me so impertinently as you have done. But your letter is a true mirror of the meanness of your character, of which I have had already too many proofs to my sorrow, and I am happy to avail myself of this opportunity to terminate a disagreeable acquaintance.

Sir:

I should never have thought you and your monkey capable of writing to fuckin' my stupid ass so god-damn impertinently as you have done. Mind if I cram your neck? But your sorry letter is a goddamn true mirror of the fucking meanness of your sorry character, of which I have had already too ass-grabbing many proofs to my cockgobbling sorrow, and I am happy to fuckin' avail myself of this bullshit opportunity to fuckin' terminate a disagreeable acquaintance.

===================

Sir:

When I requested you to collect of me a debt, due to me by Mr S, you were not only willing to undertake the commission, but promised to attend to it diligently, so as to obtain a settlement, probably in a month. After the expiration of this term I did not even receive a letter from you, and only learned accidently that Mr S had been called upon for the payment of the debt. This delay will cause me considerable embarrassment; for, as I told you at the time, I required the money to meet a certain necessary expense. Should you hesitate in pushing this matter, I request you to return by the bearer the note of hand, against which he will deliver you your receipt for the same; but if you are inclined to do me that favor, I must request you to hasten the collection as much as possible.

Respecfully,

Sir:

When I requested you to collect of my stupid ass a goddamn debt, due to fuckin' my stupid ass by Mr S, you were not only willing to undertake the fucking commission, but promised to fuckin' attend to fuckin' that bastard diligently, so god-damn as to obtain a settlement, probably in a month. After the fucking expiration of this bullshit term I did not even receive a letter from you, and only learned accidently that Mr S had been called upon for the fucking payment of the fucking debt. This bullshit delay will cause my stupid ass considerable embarrassment; for, as I told you at the fucking time, I required the fucking drug money to fuckin' meet a fuckin' certain necessary expense. Are you listening? Should you hesitate in pushing this bullshit matter, I request you to fuckin' return by the fucking bearer the fucking note of hand, against which he will deliver you your sorry receipt for the fucking same; but if you and your monkey are inclined to fuckin' do my stupid ass that favor, I must request you to hasten the fucking collection as much as possible.

Respecfully,

===============

Sir:

As you have forgotten yourself so far as to attempt a personal attack upon a member of the society, for an innocent jest and a supposed insult, and thereby have disturbed a society where order and decency are the first laws, I am obliged, with the concurrence of all the members, who all feel hurt at your outrageous conduct, to request you not to return any more to the rooms of the society, where only peace and concord should reign. I remain,

Most respectfully

Sir:

As you and your sluts have forgotten yourself so god-damn far as to fuckin' attempt a personal attack upon a goddamn member of the fucking society, for an innocent just and a supposed insult, and thereby have disturbed a goddamn society where the fuck order and decency are the fucking first laws, I am obliged, with the fucking concurrence of all the fucking members, who all feel hurst at your sorry outrageous conduct, to fuckin' request you and your sluts not to return any more to the fucking rooms of the fucking society, where the fuck only peace and concord should reign. I remain,

Most respectfully

#24361 03/22/01 08:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Those 21st century versions are the sort of thing that give cursing a bad name. The 19th century versions. particularly the first one, are so much more effective. I am reminded of Miss Manners' all purpose phrase for accepting an apology; "Oh, that's perfectly all right."

The delivery and tone of voice are critical in proper execution of this phrase. It can run anywhere from a casually tossed off delivery indicating that the offender should not even worry about having done the thing being apologized for to a withering delivery indicating that there is no hope for forgiveness and the vile perpetrator may just as well retire from civilized society.

#24362 03/22/01 08:56 PM
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
thanks for the Gift

#24363 03/22/01 11:18 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i *love* the spark!!! i can't believe you're also a fan =) i'm kinda mad at them right now cuz they owe me a spark t-shirt. i even sent in some extra credit .

if any of you have some time on your hands, check out their "Stinky Meat" projects... quite funny, if you like that twisted sort of thing.

#24364 03/22/01 11:42 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Those 21st century versions are the sort of thing that give cursing a bad name. The 19th century versions. particularly the first one, are so much more effective.

I agree. Being courteously vicious and civilly cruel is so much more fun!

#24365 03/23/01 07:23 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
courteously vicious and civilly cruel is so much more fun

To say nothing of the baffled, almost fearful, look on the recipient's face!
wow

#24366 03/24/01 01:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
courteously vicious and civilly cruel is so much more fun

I agree entirely. That's how I play it. Swearing in those circumstances does nothing to enhance your mana, rather it diminishes it.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#24367 03/24/01 02:58 PM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Have you noticed that it is the same when you speak.

If I want to make a complaint about something I never swear. I will e-n-u-c-i-a-t-e very carefully (to make sure the person understands every word), in a tone that makes it clear that they DO NOT want to make me mad. I am also told that I usually sport a beatific smile that makes it that much more scary. It works quite well.

#24368 03/24/01 05:14 PM
J
enthusiast
enthusiast
J
I am usually able to sound polite (if I'm not related to the person.) This has the downside of making people think I'm joking, so I might have to rethink my strategy.

jimthedog

#24369 03/25/01 07:43 AM
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Sir:

I should never have thought you capable of writing to me so impertinently as you have done. But
your letter is a true mirror of the meanness of your character, of which I have had already too
many proofs to my sorrow, and I am happy to avail myself of this opportunity to terminate a
disagreeable acquaintance.

Great! I think that perhaps I will have to use it !
But, please, which is the correct signature after such a letter? I know just
Sincerely yours
but it seems to me too friendly... I would like an ironic and harsh signature...
Any suggestion?
Ciao
Emanuela

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith