Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
I hope not! But you may have a good time seeing it *from* your rental!

If a bluff oyster's an oyster, you'll have to stop by New Orleans, you can still shuck 'em there for the price of corn. Give a holler if you need digs in Manhattan; if I get lucky, so might you and you can have the place to yourselves.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
But, but, route 66 is sooooo far away. How can you possibly swing over to Montréal from all the way over there?

See now, if you start off here around June 24th, you will be just in time to celebrate Québec provincial party - St Jean Baptist (but you must be prepared to have a nip or twelve). Then, you can drive on down to Manhattan (only about 6 hours) for the 4th of July - BIG U.S. party.

#24252 03/26/01 03:14 PM
R
addict
addict
R
If they have Prairie and Mountain Oysters, I'm sure they can find some Prairie and Mountain Abalones!

Ro* Ward

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
For the youngsters among us "See the USA in your Chevrolet" was sung by Dinah Shore as opening of her TV variety show in days long ago.... sponsors of the show being Chevrolet cars. It was also a promotion for US tourism.
-------------------------------------------------------
belM suggests Then, you can drive on down to Manhattan (only about 6 hours) for the 4th of July - BIG U.S. party.Six hours bel? In a Maserati maybe if you don't care how many traffic tickets you amass!

However from Montreal you can make a stop in God's Country -New Hampshire.
From Montreal, Canada Rt 10 west to Rt 55 South, crossing border at Derby Line and picking up US Interstate 91 down to St Johnsbury Vermont where you switch to US Interstate 93 through the magnificent White Mountains to Manchester,NH -- where you swing on to Rte 101 east to the seacoast which ends about three quarters of a mile from my front door! THAT's about six hours with a stop for lunch.

We are just an hour north of Boston (and Logan International Airport - planes to everywhere) where they throw a pretty good July 4th party, being one of the original instigators of that Revolution aka The War of American Independence!

And no lobster, CapK, promise.
How about a lovely tenderloin of beef roast?
My son is a magnificent cook, and I'm no mean shakes in the kitchen myself! Given the beef problems in UK you might want to get all the meat you can while here as chicken is probably safest in UK these days for someone allergic to fish!
See ya'
wow

I
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I
"six hours from Quebec to New York"
Quebecs *fly* on the interstate.
"Crossing at Derby Line"
If you cross at Derby Line, be sure to use the main duane on the interstate. If you cut through town, the delay can be lengthy as they search your car. Believe me; I know.

#24255 03/26/01 04:32 PM
B
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
B
Prairie/Mountain abalones

Sure you can find them -- at any shoe repair shop.

One of my favorite Henny Youngman one liners:
What do you get if you cross a crocodile with an abalone?
A crockabaloney.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yes, CK, i do hope to see you in NY, but 6 hours is a bit optomistic (from Montreal) Vermont (I 91), is a good route-- but when i used to travel to a point north of St Johnsburry-- it was a good eight hours door to door--(and I was going to North queens, Manhattan would be another 10 to 15 miles!) and in most of Vermont I was speeding (Vermont got its hand slapped by US Highways, it was not enforcing speed limit--) so i regularly went 70 to 85 miles an hour-- as fast as my little car could go (back in the days when US cars had only 3 forward gears-- not 4 + overdrive.) But NY does put on a nice little show of fireworks for the 4th, and afterwards, you (and others) could come back to my 'county estate" for the classic cook out, eat blueberries right of the bushes -- and catch fireflies! (of course you can do all the same things, in Boston area, with Wow,--except for the fireworks-- NY show is bigger.)

Aren't you sorry you mentioned you where coming? we are fighting over getting you and your spouse to come visit like dogs over a bone!

Have a great tip, I hope to see you, but my feeling won't be hurt if you pass on coming to NY's outer boros!

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
i won't even bother asking if you're going to make it all the way out to the Sunshine State, but if you do i'll buy ya both a beer if you'll bring some NZ coins for my daughter's collection

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
All right you slowpokes....it has NEVER taken me more than six hours to drive down to Manhattan; and I've been several times. Mind you, inselpeter is right, Québecers do tend to drive a teensy bit fast .

bel(Andretti)Marduk

#24259 03/26/01 06:01 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear belM,
Please let me know when you are on the road, especially if you travel through NH!
wow

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 723 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith