Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
I often hear people say things like :
"You don't like me using your telephone."
or
"You don't like me telling your age."

I was taught to use "my" in those instances, so I do, but have forgotten why. Or am I just being persnickety?

And then there are those pesky "Lying in the gutter I found my purse," things. Some can be quite hilarious but what are they called? And do you remember any from your English classes?
wow

#22118 03/10/01 09:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dangling participles.

me/my I have heard both. The me construction may be a readaption of you don't want me to tell your age. I guess I was taught that the my version was correct, too, but it doesn't seem to bother me all that much. It's like different than vs. different from or even different to. If rbarr (http://wordsmith.org/board/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=19694) were here she'd explain it all as dialect differences and choosing different models for a new construction, but she's not so we'll just have to fumble through for ourselves.

#22119 03/10/01 09:52 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Just don't say "I don't like you.......and have that all the friend hears.

#22120 03/11/01 12:01 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With no professional linguist afoot, this amateur asks y'all's indulgence:

We gotta do some parsing here. Or diagramming. Verbs that sometimes dress as nouns are called verbals. In the structure "you don't like my running," for example, the present participle running suddenly finds itself changed into a gerund (part of the verbal family), the direct object of the sentence, and as such, it needs an adjectival modifier - in this case, the possessive pronoun my.
Now let's take the verbal and make it transitive, as in the example Wow provided: "You don't like my running this equipment." Equipment becomes the direct object of running, which, while it hasn't forgotten its verb roots and functions as one within the expanded set ("running this equipment"), it still becomes part of the direct object of the entire sentence, needing "my" to modify it in the same way.

I am not certain of all the terminology; it's been years and years. But I figure if I don't know it, a lot of y'all might not either - this was my best shot at explaining this structure.

Her leaving misplaced and dangling modifiers for another time will probably be appreciated by kindred spirits who find over-long posts as tedious as she does

#22121 03/11/01 12:30 AM
W
wow Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Undestandable explanation AnnaS better than the teachers I had, way back in the Dark Ages.... thanks
And for a short post, what's a favorite, funny "ing" saying.
wow

#22122 03/12/01 04:48 AM
B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Fowler called the construction with an object rather than a possessive followed by the -ing form a fused participle. Generally it's better to use the possessive form of the pronoun but sometimes there is a difference in meaning between the two. Consider the sentence I like Alan/Alan's cooking in my kitchen. With "Alan", I think the liking is aimed at an oft-repeated activity, while with "Alan's" I think the speaker is talking about a specific occasion or series of occasions.

Some words resist the possessive in this context. Her meaning being clear did not make much difference. rather than Her meaning's being clear did not make much difference.

Bingley

Bingley
#22123 03/12/01 05:47 PM
old hand
old hand
Quick side note: As we've discussed in some other thread, it was a pity that Latin didn't survive as a required course. Slightly less archaic a lamentation: I wish they'd kept teaching these stinkin' kids how to parse a sentence! [Feeling a bit fogey today, I guess...]

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 727 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith