b) something a runner does
c) something you do when you sit down
d) none of the above, it's etched in stone

please, *no* private answers!

B
old hand
old hand
B
my guess is d) ... because the other options don't sound all that plausible. Sounds like a type of camel to me though.

old hand
old hand
I've always found it wonderful that you can admire the lapidary work on a carbuncle, and perhaps nobody who has not read Sherlock Holmes will appreciate that you are not speaking of pus-filled excrescences on a person's face.

As a fine poem on lapidary work (with, no doubt, passing meditations upon life, death and strangers passing by), see W B Yeats' "Lapis Lazuli", with the (today unfortunate-sounding) brilliant finale: "Their eyes/Their ancient, glittering eyes are gay."

Apologies - all this from memory so may have misquoted.

cheer

the sunshine warrior

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
carbuncle ... pus-filled excrescences on a person's face.

Not a word often used in this context in this counry-- here people have zits, and black heads and lots of other words, many of which i confess i have forgotten, (Jazz might know some-- ) i still get an occational zit-- but i remember some pretty discriptive terms (pizza faced) from my youth-- the common polite word used is a "blemish" but no one speaks of blemishes-- (except ad men) some people visit Zit city and come home with souveniers.

Acne is a large problem for teens, but most of fortunately out grow it-- except for a zit or two once a month or so, until we get old, and then can go 3 or 4 months with out an eruption. There are some aspect of getting older that are nice!

even carbuncle is not used--for a stone, but rather cabochon -- or some varient spelling. and not just for garnets, but even saphires.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Too easy! A lapidary is a person who etches in stone, usually precious stones (gems)
wow

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
W B Yeats' "Lapis Lazuli",

Hah! The name of that stone is my cheat sheet. It's my mnemonic for remembering what lapidary means.

B
veteran
veteran
B
carbuncles
One of my grandfather's stories was the one about when he was a very young man (this would be ca. 1900) in Harrisburg, PA, he developed a large messy carbuncle on the back of his neck. One of the neighbors saw it and reported it to someone and next thing he know, my grandfather, to his extreme fury, was locked up in the pesthouse, or lazaretto, for several days before he could get a doctor to certify that he didn't have a communicable disease. Amazing to find that such an institution existed in the U.S. at the beginning of the 20th century.

J
journeyman
journeyman
J
How come I can never get my quizzes to be so hard?

-Scott

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
there is a great english cult film about a man with a carbuncle on his neck--
A Head for Advertizing
very funny, very strange.. it has some gross errors-- (film has been flipped for a reel, and everything is in mirror image-- and the set changes with in a scene-- continuity errors.) but its is a very funny "black" comedy.

I guess I would call it a boil-- (if it was something beyond a zit)

J
old hand
old hand
J
here people have zits, and black heads and lots of other words, many of which i confess i have forgotten, (Jazz might know some-- )

I'm flattered that you think I know so much about facial pus, but I think you've covered what I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,351
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 775 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith