Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
old hand
old hand
B
They still have the ones with V-shaped blades here in St. John's. I seriously doubt if they are WWII vintage, but the blade is most definitely V-shaped. But the residential streets are extremely narrow here - a large source of frustration during this 450+ cm snow winter - but we won't go into that here, because I've ranted myself out on that one to anyone who will listen!

Now why do I have this desire to use "plow" for snowplow but "plough" for the thing used on a farm? Maybe something to do with "ploughshares" not "plowshares" in some Bible verse...and I like the coherent look of snowplow (although it's pretty sick that the two halves of the word don't rhyme - they look like they should!).

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
in Michigan we also use giant blowers to remove snow from streets.
They have the blowers in some towns in New Hampshire. The DPW announcement warn people to keep cats and small dogs in the house!
wow

W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I also remember back in the 20's when to dig a really big hole, you had to get a steam shovel. Even after excavating equipment became diesel powered, some oldtimers would stlll call them steamshovels.

In reply to:

Right now we are expecting Three Feet of snow with driving winds and full moon high tides. Market shelves stripped of bread, milk, peanut butter-and-jam, bread, batteries and candles. Hatches being battened down and shovels at the ready. Hold good thoughts.

Just a short while ago, I spoke with my sister who lives in Barre, Vermont - they already had almost a foot of snow, and it was still coming down quite hard. She & husband were trying to get the two children into bed - but my darling five year old niece was sucking her thumb, so we talked for a moment, discussing what flavour our respective thumbs had when they went into our respective mouths - we settled on chocolate for both -hers and mine! Then, the three year old boy had to get on the phone to tell me about the white stuff falling from the sky and that he loved me - they are so precious!
Trust you are okay - warm and dry with plenty of food and other needed supplies - if you read this, then at least the electricity is working. Stay safe!

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
In reply to:

So I want to dig a BIG hole .. what do I need?

Well, with a name like belligerentyouth, over here, you'd probably want to get your hands on a couple of mortar shells... they would certainly do the job, but I wouldn't recommend it!

Shoshannah

B
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
B

Yes well, fortunately shells are not readily available here. Come to think of it though, digging round here often leads to discoveries of WWII bombs which didn't detonate some 50 years back. Every once in a while they find a really large one and have to clear out large areas; this mainly occurs in the Ruhrgebiet though.

I'd never heard of the name 'back-hoe' that RCommando + Sparteye mentioned. It seems terms are used quite loosely for all these machines.

In reply to:

I'd never heard of the name 'back-hoe'

My youngest brother used to have his own little landscaping business in central NC, and I saw him once on his 'back-hoe' - it worked exactly like a regular hoe, except that instead of digging in FRONT of him, he sat on this gigantic thing with a hoe-like contraption on the BACK and it dug BEHIND him... it was sorta actually! And it made hoeing those longish rows a bit easier and quicker!

#21137 03/06/01 09:48 AM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Now why do I have this desire to use "plow" for snowplow but "plough" for the thing used on a farm? Maybe something to do with "ploughshares" not "plowshares" in some Bible verse...and I like the coherent look of snowplow (although it's pretty sick that the two halves of the word don't rhyme - they look like they should!).

Funny, I read snow-plow to rhyme with sno'-go. Not surprisingly, I'd go for snow plough y'all know that I love those extra letters!

#21138 03/06/01 03:36 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
plow/plough
If any of you are Sherlockian fans, you will recall that in the adventure of the three Garridebs, the Master began to see what was going on in that case from an advertisement in an English newspaper supposedly placed by an Englishman but using the words plow [sic] and buckboard.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, i don't know about the rest of you, but one of my claims to fame is the I can dig a hole and make hill at the same time!

all the tool mentions are Power tools-- no pick axes, and no discussion of spades vs. shovels. in NY before you dig a hole you need to use a "jack hammer" the NY name for a pnuematic drill, used to break up the "black top" and concrete.

and anthropologist use a whole different set of digging tools...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,360
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 615 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,556
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith