Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#20964 03/05/01 08:46 PM
W
wwh Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Dear jpsharber: try a private message to tsuwm. He is unchallenged expert on such problems.

#20965 03/06/01 02:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome to you, jpsharber (I worked with Det. Louis Sharber here some time ago--a fine officer), and also rkerstie of a previous thread, as well as Casey-Canada and BlanchePatch.

I don't think it matters which time, past, present, or future, you're referring to: it's still a theory. Whether it's a prediction or not, I can't say--it depends on what you're positing, I suppose. I don't think you'd call it a prediction, if, for ex., you said you expected to learn that the Allies lost WWII. But if you say you are attempting to verify certain data that shows the Allies won for some specified reason, you could predict that the data would prove your theory. Or am I way off course?

For you, and all other newcomers, my friend:
to make a new post, go to the index page for whatever category you want to make the post in--in this case, Q & A. This is the page that lists all the current threads. At the top right-hand side of the list, you'll
see a few golden icons. Click on the one furthest to the
left, that looks like it has light rays in it, and voilá.

#20966 03/06/01 07:44 PM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
"Frigidaire" was,some years ago, almost generic for "refrigerator" as was "Post Toasties" for dry breakfast cereal. Both have now faded into relative obscurity. Generally, of course, manufacturers/producers are pleased when their products are so widely known, but when the trademark, e.g. "Kleenex", appears, in common public use, to be substituted for the type of product it identifies "tissue", it may threaten the trademark and may cause problems for the IP lawyers of the trademark holder. However, one never hears of any such complaints from the the Sales/ Marketing Departments of those companies.

#20967 03/06/01 07:57 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Since this hasn't really become a different approach to the same issue that it looked like from the beginning, I offer this link:

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=17038

This is also a test to check URL posting protocol.

('took me long enough)

#20968 03/06/01 08:39 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
to make that a link, you should've typed this:

[.url.]wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=17038[./url.]

(but don't include the periods around the url and /url; i only did that to avoid actually creating a link.)

you'll note that the typing of "http://" is obviated by the link process, which automatically includes it. you do, however, need to type the "www" if it is part of the original address (which, in this case, it is not).

hope that makes sense =)

http://wordsmith.org/board/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=words&Number=17038

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,335
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 497 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith