Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well.. thank you. That wasn't short but it was sweet. Thanks for the link. I'll try to fit the 222 minutes total in with my work and maybe get back at this in a week or so. whistle

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"... when you talk about Dylan, he thinks you’re talking about Dylan Thomas. Whoever HE was. The man ain’t got no culture.”

Faldage #208778 01/07/13 01:51 AM
M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
It ain't me babe!

I gots many cultures (some of them treatable)

M
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
M
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Well.. thank you. That wasn't short but it was sweet. Thanks for the link. I'll try to fit the 222 minutes total in with my work and maybe get back at this in a week or so. whistle

You are of course welcome smile I seem to remember it as half hour programmes, or was it 40 mins each, so it is susceptible to attack by stealth, pertickly for anyone suffering commutes of any kind.

Total aside: good ole BBC, making this kind of high intent programming freely available, eh? [/cannuck]

J
veteran
veteran
J
“Nature, it seems, is the popular name
for milliards and milliards and milliards
of particles playing their infinite game
of billiards and billiards and billiards.”
― Piet Hein
Boys, and Bran and Jackie, I do not relish the idea of me being the bitch in the back of the room screaming bloody murder, but no one here has yet indicated an understanding of the widely accepted mechanism behind the evolution of Culture and everything else, namely, determinism.
I would be less of a human being (and without balls) if I did not say so. So I do.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dear bitch in the backroom, I have to take my time. I close off each day with one section of that BBC program. It's real interesting though my words end of this week may be equal to what I started with.
(one quote:"what distinguishes us from other primates is the fact that we developed a larger brain"; no one explains the why of and how that came to be. Must be something like the grain of sand in the oyster.( a beautiful accident) Nothing determined. I want to hear it out. Be seing you. laugh

Last edited by BranShea; 01/09/13 11:15 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
from the back of the room:

Objection, Your Honor! I know a little sometin' about billiards, and while it has a bit of determinism about it, I wouldn't go callin' it strictly deterministic (ever tried to predict reactions to English on the cue ball?) - not like, say, your computer is deterministic.

Oh,
Ya got trouble, my friend, right here,
I say, trouble right here in River City.
Why sure I'm a billiard player,
Certainly mighty proud I say
I'm always mighty proud to say it.
I consider that the hours I spend
With a cue in my hand are golden.
Help you cultivate horse sense
And a cool head and a keen eye.
Never take and try to give
An iron-clad leave to yourself
From a three-reail billiard shot?
But just as I say,
It takes judgement, brains, and maturity to score
In a balkline game,
I say that any boob kin take
And shove a ball in a pocket.

..and call it Culture.

tsuwm #208858 01/09/13 02:47 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
from the back of the room:

Objection, Your Honor! I know a little sometin' about billiards, and while it has a bit of determinism about it, I wouldn't go callin' it strictly deterministic (ever tried to predict reactions to English on the cue ball?) - not like, say, your computer is deterministic.

Just because you can't predict what is going to happen doesn't mean it isn't deterministic. It just means that you are incapable of perceiving all the little factors that are doing the determining. And interesting you should contrast the determinicity of billiards to that of a computer. Anyone who has done any work with large computer programs will know how unpredictable something completely deterministic can be. That's why they have people debugging those programs. Even when they look like they're working nice and predictably they send out beta versions to crowd-source the bug hunting.

Faldage #208859 01/09/13 02:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
but it's the programmer's and their programs that are unpredictable, not the computers themselves - they can only (deterministically) do what they're told.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
And the pool balls do what they're told. You just can't account for all the little irregularities.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,271
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 397 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,502
LukeJavan8 9,915
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith