Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#20476 02/28/01 06:58 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Siamese Toms
Your account of the amorous adventures of your red tom is much like our experience, over 25 years ago, with our Siamese tom, Prince de Blu (he was a pedigreed bluepoint), a fantastically beautiful cat with a creamy coat and the most startling blue eyes to go with his blue-grey points. Very affectionate, and generally would sleep on my head.

Prinny, as we called him, had a truly awesome sex drive; you could not keep him in the house, since he would scream the place down (you could hear him eight houses away) until you let him out. Of course, there were lashings of strange kittens around the neighborhood after a while, most with blue eyes.

Prinny's sex life was his undoing. When he was about 6 years old, he went out catting one night and didn't return for several days. My mother in law, who was sitting on the front porch, saw him coming up the walk and screamed for us to come. Prinny staggered up the walk, and collapsed on the steps. We found that he had terrible bites on his legs, so we rushed him to the vet, who guessed he had come out second best in a to-do with a possum, of which there were plenty in our neighborhood. He stitched up Prinny, put in drains, bandaged him, gave him several injections, and we took him home (the cat, not the vet). Predictably, the very next day, the feline fury went to the door and started screaming. My wife, a nurse, figured that if he were human he certainly shouldn't be out screwing that soon, and tried to keep him in, but no go; we finally had to let him out. Next day, a neighbor called to say the cat was in his yard, after chasing and succeeding in coupling with his cat, but that he was acting strange. We went to bring him back, but he was gone. Next day, he showed up, staggering again, and collapsed and died before we could get to the vet again. The vet figured that nookie was too much for him in his condition. What a morality tale.

#20477 02/28/01 08:28 PM
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
A friend had a canine called Deefer (Dog).

Cap K's mention of the Queen of Thailand's name gives me the opportunity to tell you about a conversation at a local Thai restaurant last week. On the wall were photos of two regal-looking people. One of my companions asked the (Thai) waitress "Who are the people in the photos?"
"Oh, they're the king and queen of Thailand."
"What are their names?"
"Well, the queen is called Silly Git and the king -"
"Called what?!?"
"Silly Git."
All five of us heard the same thing, both times. I must confess here to my own ignorance and that of the rest of the group - I had to get onto the Internet next day to discover that she'd been saying Sirikit.

#20478 02/28/01 09:04 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I once had a duck whose entire life was one big identity crisis. We bought a pair of little Muscovy ducklings from the local feed store, and were told that one of them was male and one female. I named the male Henry and the female Josephine. Sadly, Henry was killed by some marauding animal, and poor little Josephine was left alone with a flock of chickens. She eventually got over her sorrow at losing Henry and became convinced that she, too, was a chicken--following them around devotedly, pecking at the ground and generally doing everything in a chickenish manner. All was well for a while, until I discovered that the little duck named Josephine was turning into a large Muscovy drake! The feed store, as usual, had gotten mixed up. There was nothing to do but shorten HIS name to Joe, since I was so used to calling "her" Josephine.

We tried getting Joe two female Muscovies to keep him company, but he would have none of them. He was still convinced that he was a chicken.

#20479 02/28/01 09:42 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
I understand from military friends that visited Thailand that the cats prowled the temples and would yowl and scratch anyone who tried to touch forbidden items.
There was also a story going around (no vouching for this one) that the crown jewels were displayed openly with cats as guards ... go for the jewels and get covered by snarling, biting, claw-raking cats!

BTW I'm sure all you cat lovers know the Lillian Braun books, titles all start with the words "The Cat Who ..."
wonderful series even for a dog lover like me.

AND, should I ever get an unnamed dog, given my past in music, I would name him Figaro for the joy of calling him using the famous "Barber of Seville" tenor aria!

FINALLY, the spell wrecker wants my wow signature to be wrangle.
Wrangle (SOED CD) a freq. angry or noisy dispute, arguement or altercation.
Hmmmmmm
wow

#20480 02/28/01 10:17 PM
D
des Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
My cats have dull, nothing names...Baby Bobo and Maggie.
Maggie is 18 1/2 and hanging in there! She is a Maine Coon.
Baby Bobo (grandchild responsible for this sickening name) is a Lynx Point.

What I would like to share are my favorite quotes about cats...true there are hundreds. "In a cat's eye everything belongs to the cat" (unamed English source) "If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." ...Mark Twain. Another that is soooo true "Cats love obedient people!" I am obedient!

#20481 03/01/01 12:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have a cat, its name is Winky. Domestic Short Hair.

It will wink at you. Just wait and see.

#20482 03/01/01 04:38 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The vet figured that nookie was too much for him in his condition. What a morality tale.

But what a way to go!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#20483 03/01/01 04:48 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
My aunt, resident on a farm, once took pity on a yard cat which had become ill, got the health thing sorted and brought it inside so it became a house cat, their first ever. It remained unnamed (people tend not to name cats on farms - they are there for one purpose and one purpose only) until it began to show a distressing tendency to want to rule the roost. It would wake them up in the morning by sitting on the end of their bed and yowling. If that wasn't successful at getting them up to feed it, it would stalk across the bed and begin batting their noses (fortunately with a closed paw). When they finally gave in and got up to feed it, it would hunt them up the passage, swiping at their heels with its claws.

It drew blood on me once when I was staying and earned a few seconds flight time towards its pilot's licence.

In my house, that would have got it a death sentence. In their house, it merely got the cat named "Slash". Died happy, very old, and very much in control ...

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks, I guess!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#20484 03/01/01 11:32 AM
P
addict
addict
P
I hope that all you cat-lovers have come across the books by Deric Longden -- some of the funniest English writing in print! And his wonderfully dotty mother!!!

#20485 03/01/01 06:59 PM
D
des Offline
journeyman
journeyman
D
Paulb...I checked our library via computer and they do have Longen's books...available even! So tomorrow I will go get "The Cat Who Came In From The Cold". Thank you!

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith