Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#20323 03/04/01 06:33 PM
In reply to:

Here's what was happening in the real, crazy, sad world as we were ruminating in the virtual one:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1201000/1201273.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1201000/1201213.stm

Thanks Jo for including the link to the story about the bombing today in Netanya. Just three notes on the story for those that may be interested (and for those that may be not)...
1. 'push the occupiers out of our land' - the Arabs also claim Netanya (and Haifa and Jaffa and Tiberias and Beer Sheva and every other part of Eretz Yisrael, not only the area of Judea/Samaria & Gaza). They call Tel Aviv "an illegal Jewish settlement" and claim that it's really an Arab town (never mind that it was settled in 1909 by a group of 60 Jewish families) in order to sway international opinion in their favour... and it's working!
2. the man that was 'set upon' in the market place following the explosion was an Arab... not to be confused with the FACT that no Arab actually called himself/herself a "palestinian" before it became politically expedient to do so (see just about anything by Prof. Bernard Lewis on this subject). It is, thus, the media which has exacerbated (I always loved that word) this lie! BTW - before 1948, it was only JEWS who used the designation 'palestinian' and then only in a geographic way, as in British Jew or Palestinian Jew...!
3. 'the Israel-Palestinian fighting' - it only began when the Arabs began a new intifada (uprising) and we responded... and they have finally admitted that it was NOT Sharon's visit to the Temple Mount which began it - in fact, it was already planned since JULY!

One more point (and yes, I'm very depressed and angry about this bombing and the ongoing situation... [can-you-tell-emoticon] - I send out via e-mail from time to time, articles and such (including some interesting locally-made political cartoons) and have a list I call "Friends & Family" - if any of you would like to be on it, just send me a brief message to wonderworks@iname.com and just say "Add me to your Friends & Family list, please, to receive info from the M.E." (the please helps, of course, since that's how I was raised...), and you'll begin, almost immediately, to receive some good reading material about the situation here.

Thanks to all who pray and are doing so vis-a-vis the situation here (and in London). Oh, and on that bombing in London - I'm really sorry about that happening - BUT, I must say I find it curious that such a thing NEVER stops tourism to London and yet, the US State Dept. is always quick to issue travel warnings to Israel when these things occur! Just another one of my pet peeves... .

Shoshannah

suzanne pomeranz, tourism consultant jerusalem, israel - suztours@gmail.com
#20324 03/04/01 06:53 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
The refusal of praise is merely the desire to be praised twice.

Yrch! Such a cynical view! I know that it is often true, but as a generalisation it rankles muchly. Almost as much as the argument that all altruism is inherently selfish. I find the desire to deny the possibility of purity of motive distressing. I am fortunate to know dozens of people who would deny praise for no other reason than their sincerely held conviction that it was unwarranted. I wonder if the duck de la Rochefoucald simply arrived at the conclusion that what was true of his nature was true of all people.

#20325 03/04/01 09:34 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>it has to be a masterpiece of stating the obvious

I suspect that you are absolutely right. The hardest thing to write is a piece of journalism where, under anti-terrorist legislation you are not allowed to give away any information that might prejudice investigation of the case. The police were not "keeping an open mind", they had been given a coded warning but were not prepared to release that information at the time that this piece was written.

You are left with the sentence. "There was a bomb, it went bang." Whilst, we all know that y'all could make a much more interesting story , y'all'd have the same problem writing the story.

#20326 03/04/01 09:46 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>Thanks Jo for including the link to the story ...

It looks like I was adding my post at the same time that you were adding yours, I hadn't seen your mention of the bomb as I logged out shortly afterwards. I suspect that, like the reporting of the London bomb, almost anything other than the barest facts are open to spin, depending on the current interpretation of the politics, the background investigation, diplomacy issues and the desire not to give too much away. As they say, the view we get of history is usually the view from the "winning" side, so it will all be interpreted and re-interpreted many more times. I don't know enough to get too bogged down in discussion here so add me to your e-mail list and I can find out more.

My main point was that it is hard to escape the world that exists outside our front door and it is good to have friends here who are not necessarily part of that world.

I wish you well.

Jo

#20327 03/04/01 11:53 PM
W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Intereting discussion ... however it's a wiiiiide one again and I'm having trouble reading it.
Would One Who Knows and Remembers re-post that thing about how to fix it thru copy and paste? That was it wasn't it?

wow

#20328 03/05/01 07:53 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
y'all'd have the same problem writing the story.

Well, Jo, at least I think I'd know when to end it - after about the third paragraph!

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#20329 03/05/01 10:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Dearest Bill,

You said, "No hero I."
Well, this is something I cannot attest to, at least re:
your WW II service. But you did in fact turn over a part of your life for the protection of us all, and you did indeed face danger, and all of us who live here in freedom now owe you and your fellow servicepeople a huge thank-you.
By the way--I think you're heroic, now.

Love,

Jackie

===========================================================
===========================================================

Max--I quite agree with you. Thank you. There are times when it is much more difficult to be a gracious recipient than a gracious donor, but just as necessary.

#20330 03/05/01 11:27 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
y'all'd have the same problem writing the story.

Nice use of the Suthrin present conditional, Jo

CapK, thank you for that lovely bit of reporting. Has anyone besides wow and myself read Lilian J. Braun's cat mysteries? The local radio station in the tiny northern town of Pickax is unsurpassed in this type of reporting, to wit:

"The mayor of Pickax has assured local merchants that the downtown business district will have a new municipal parking lot before the snow flies. In a speech before the Chamber of Commerce, Mayor Blythe said downtown would definitely have a new parking lot before snow flies."

#20331 03/05/01 03:18 PM
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>I'd know when to end it

I wonder if that is a function of the fact that there is a rather lot of web space to fill up. It's rather like those broadsheet Sunday papers that drop through the door and if you have a spare month or so, you can read, cover to cover and then wonder why you bothered.

I wonder how many people read much below the first or second paragraph of news stories? I tend to skim read, then go back and look again at the stories that interest me. I agree that the story has far too much "padding" and there are other gramatical errors which should not have got past the editor's eye but then it isn't every day that the BBC gets blown up, so they may have had an excuse to be otherwise engaged.

A friend who works in insurance made an interesting comment. He said, "When I read about insurance issues, I very rarely come across anything that is accurate so I tend to dismiss those reports. On the other hand, when I read about matters that I know much less about, I assume that the paper is correct".

#20332 03/05/01 06:20 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
A friend who works in insurance made an interesting comment. He said, "When I read about insurance isses, I very rarely come across anything that is accurate so I tend to dismiss those reports. On the other hand, when I read about matters that I know much less about, I assume that the paper is correct".

Yes!!!!!!!!! I agree! I never see the media get ANY physics/science/medical physics/physical oceanography explanations right, and I always make fun of them for that, but then I turn around and believe what they write about other subjects. Scary, to think that all of that information helps form my view of the world - and everyone else's - and so much of it is wrong!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith