Print Thread
T
Tapas Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Hi,

I was looking for the origin of the words "aggression/aggressive". These words, when translated in Bengali (my native language), sound very similar to the original English words. In Bengali, they are translated as "Aa-gra-son/Aa-gra-see". I was once told that these Bengali words were derived from Sanskrit. But the similarity in pronunciation is quite surprising.

Thanks,
TK

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It comes from the Latin aggress-. The PIE root is ghredh-. Perhaps zmjezhd could give us an informed opinion on the chances of it being similar in the Indic languages.

G
G
According to Pokorny, *ghredh- doesn't have a reflex in Indic, if I'm reading it right. So aggression and আগ্রাসন are not related.

Last edited by goofy; 08/18/11 01:51 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Off-hand, I'd say they're probably loanwords from English. I couldn't find "aggression" or "aggressive" searching in Monier-William's Sanskrit dictionary.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
G
G
This dictionary has what looks like an etymology.

Last edited by goofy; 08/18/11 02:38 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hey, goofy. I was hoping you'd show up. Can you interpret your dictionary link for us mere mortals? I'm sure it answers things to Tapas's satisfaction but not all of can read that devanagari, if that's what it is.

G
G
No, I don't know enough Bengali to read it. I was hoping Tapas would have a look at it.

T
Tapas Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
Thank you all for your comments.

@Goofy: I read the bengali dictionary you had referred to. First it says that 'আগ্রাসন' is in noun form. Next it means "an intention (may be intention is not the right word, should be 'a state of having intention') to attack or conquer a foreign land". As aggression does not exactly coincide with what is written in Bengali, I guess it includes the English word 'aggression' to suggest that it is the closest possible match in English.

In the second part, it is written that 'আগ্রাসী' is the adjective form of 'আগ্রাসন'.

The dictionary, unfortunately, does not give any information about the origin of this word.

More specifically, I was actually trying to find whether or not আগ্রাসন (bengali meaning of aggression) is borrowed/derived from Sanskrit. Around 95% of Bengali words are either (re)borrowed from Sanskrit, or cognates of Sanskrit words. The rest are influenced by other languages, including Euroepan languages. Connection to English and other Euroepan languages are surely not uncommon because of colonial history. But if আগ্রাসন is a word that is derived/borrowed from Sanskrit, then such a resemblance would be surprising.

On the other hand, if it is simply borrowed from English, and developed in the last 300 years, I guess it resolves my confusion. But I do not have a proof of that either.

I am actually not an expert in this topic, and in fact I could even be wrong in my short description of the Bengali vocabulary; so if you can comment, I would highly appreciate it.

G
G
What about this part
[সং. আ + √ গ্রস্ + ণিচ্ + অন]
The root symbol makes it look like an etymology. But গ্রস্ gras seems to mean "swallow".

Last edited by goofy; 08/19/11 12:45 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, I'm not really an Indic scholar, but I did have a year of Sanskrit at University. It's not really Devanagari, Faldo, it's Bengali script. I would transliterate the word as āgrasan. (I am not really sure how the consonants changed from Prakrits to Bengali, but if the word was a learned borrowing from Sanskrit it should be easy to look around in a Sanskrit dictionary for a word that looks similar. Some near-hits: agraśana 'eating before another', agrāsana 'seat of honor'. The fits are not perfect, especially with regards to the length of the vowels, and the meanings seem distant, but I think your best beat would be to talk with an Indian historical linguist.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith