Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#19941 02/22/01 08:35 PM
C
cygnet3 Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Is there a word for a word which has only one meaning/use? It would be analogous to a prime number, i.e., indivisible. "Table" has several meanings. "Barometer" has its original meaning, and a figurative meaning as a gauge of anything. "Staple" has several meanings, whereas "stapler" may have only one.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, there are certainly adjectives which cover the concept. a word can be monosemous (as opposed to polysemous) or it can be univocal (as opposed to equivocal); come to think of it, I believe univocal is also used as a noun....

...I see the noun form of the former is monosemy, having a single meaning (absence of ambiguity) usually of individual words or phrases [dictionary.com]

old hand
old hand
Someone would have to make a pretty strong case to convince me that any word didn't at least have the potential for multiple meanings in a language with such power for metaphor. You can assign levels of meaning to pretty much anything...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
a(?)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
oh dear... there are many words which only have one meaning, for which you would have to work pretty hard to exploit this potential. off the top of my head, all of those -phobia words that relate to the fear of something specific (claustrophobia, homophobia, ailurophobia, triskaidekaphobia, etc.); -ology words which apply to sciences or studies of specific things (geology, ontology, vexillology [flags], pogonology [beards], pesematology [falling objects], etc.); descriptive words that have been coined to fill specific perceived gaps in the language (loghorrea, swoophead, yesternight, etc.) -- the list could get pretty long.

old hand
old hand
Just to throw a stone into the self-referential pond:
monosemous itself should be the prime example of a monosemous word, because otherwise...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Tsuwm, somewhere back in the mists of AWADtalk, there was a post about either: a word that describes words with one meaning, yet has more than one meaning of its own, OR, a word that describes words with several meanings, but only has one of its own. And I think that post was by you. But I can't remember the word. It wasn't monosemous or monosemy; I just did a search on those. Help?

Now--wsieber, I appreciated your oh-so-subtle parallel in using prime (think numbers) in reference to monosemous. Brilliant!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
well, as a matter of fact, the word was polysemous -- these are the terms used by linguists and lexicographers.
-joe friday

btw, I found this by searching on a phrase... the solution is left as an exercise for the student. (I've pencilled the answer in the margin, if you catch my meaning ;)

B
old hand
old hand
B
I would be inclined to agree with tsuwm. I can think of plenty of technical terms having only one meaning, but I don't think that was quite what you were looking for. That kind of seems like cheating. I would be interested to find out how many "commonly used words" there are with only one meaning.

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
Me ?
wow

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,316
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 574 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,533
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith