Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
beck123 #192419 08/12/10 03:02 AM
J
veteran
veteran
J
Strange things are happening. I wait and wait and yet sea levels don't rise. Damnation, I sure don't want to go through another Ice Age; the last one was a killer!

Oh well, maybe it'll weed out the fuzzy thinkers.

jenny jenny #192423 08/12/10 03:40 AM
addict
addict
Let's hope it doesn't give any advantage to the cold-hearted.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: TheFallibleFiend
That was amusing. smile

@ Beck123 Money can't buy safety nor change of climate, whichever way it will go. But money can do positive things in the way of environmental issues. Tax money has helped build installations that cleaned our inland and coastal waters up to the point that we are now able to swim in it again, which was downright disgusting and dangerous in the -70s.

The issue isn't money and politics. It's about awareness, regardless whatever state system you feel comfortable with, about what is serving us (globe and global), not just me.
(drumlin-detours))

jenny jenny #192429 08/12/10 01:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
Strange things are happening. I wait and wait and yet sea levels don't rise. Damnation, I sure don't want to go through another Ice Age; the last one was a killer!

Maybe you can pass your measurements on to NASA.
http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=6638

Originally Posted By: jenny jenny
Oh well, maybe it'll weed out the fuzzy thinkers.

Doubtful. It's easier to parrot "news" contrived on a fair and balanced network and then promulgated across the echo chamber of a yammering, mindless blogosphere than it is to look stuff up. But we can hope.

Last edited by TheFallibleFiend; 08/12/10 01:15 PM.
veteran
veteran
Well, it could be that the writers of SciAm are part of the global conspiracy to deprive Americans of their money and liberty. Or it could be that they actually understand the science in their own field better than politicos and scientists from outside their field - and it could be that companies that depend on carbon fuel, similar to tobacco companies back in the 50s, realize that they don't have to win this argument - all they have to do is create sufficient doubt. This would explain why most of the scholarly papers purporting to refute AGW originate with groups like CEI, AEI, Cato Inst, among others - which are funded by Heritage Foundation and Heartland Inst which is funded by big oil (among other things).

http://www.edf.org/documents/3943_paidskeptics.pdf

Here's a new word that I'd like to see discussed: agnatology.

The scientists are fighting a losing battle. People demand an unreasonable amount of evidence from them, but none - absolutely none it seems for the false rumors, exaggerations, and innuendo - that they picked up and pass on in office banter ... er ... arrive through their own insightful reasoning from their carefully collected data.

Really. I'd like to see "agnatology" discussed - and that term the other fellow brought up "watermelon" ... and maybe a few others like "astroturfing."

J
veteran
veteran
J
Interesting graph, that NASA graph, what with an arbitrary base level for dramatic effect. Even so it looks like I'll have to wait one hundred years before I can get my feet wet. Darn. During previous Interglacials sea level rose big time, eighteen feet or more. Ah, those were the days.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
agnotology (formerly agnatology) (see derivation), the study of culturally-induced ignorance or doubt

whistle

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
part of the global conspiracy to deprive Americans of their money and liberty

Oh, I love a goodly conspiracy theory. They just grow exponentially as they borg more cacomamy factoids. Maybe we could get the grays and the academicians in here, too. And, Scientific American? Please. It's the Internet, that's the ticket; it's the biggest of all governmental mind-controlling conspiracies that's really at the bottom of global warming and fluoridation of our precious bodily fluids.

astroturfing

Maybe we could discuss FUD (link), too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
tsuwm #192441 08/12/10 03:44 PM
veteran
veteran
The data are consistent with the increasing trend over the past century, but yes, the data do look to have accelerated from about 2.4 mm/yr over this century to about 3 mm/yr (just eyeballing) over the time period in the graph.
http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/sltrends/MSL_global_trendtablefc.html

If they had wanted to be dramatic, they could show the increasing trend over a century with the increasing-increasing trend over this decade.

No scientist has predicted that you would get your feet wet. Look up the term "straw man."

And while it's probably of no interest to you - your personally getting your feet wet is no indication of the potential effect on other people. Look up "non sequitur."

Why would you compare the current situation to the peak of the LIG? During the last LIG, do you think that it just jumped to that level in a century or a decade or ... a second?

2.4 - 3 mm/yr rise today compares to 5.6 to 9.2 mm/yr rise throughout LIG.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v462/n7275/full/nature08686.html
"Probabilistic assessment of sea level during the last interglacial stage"

However, "polar temperatures [were] ~3–5 °C warmer than today" due partly to the fact that "Earth's orbital eccentricity was more than twice the modern value."

Further, "As a result of industrial activity, greenhouse gas concentrations now exceed levels reached on Earth at any time within the past 800 kyr. Given a climate sensitivity of 2–4.5 °C per doubling of carbon dioxide levels, current greenhouse gas concentrations––without considering any further increases––are sufficient to cause an equilibrium warming of 1.4–3.2 °C."

It is folly of me to continue, being as how peer-reviewed articles in Nature are orchestrated by the Illuminati, NWO, reptilian conspiracy, so I'm done.

Peer-reviewed science is insignificant compared to the awesome power of "because I said so" or "I heard somewhere."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Peer-reviewed science is insignificant compared to the awesome power of "because I said so" or "I heard somewhere."

Ipsedixitism ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,332
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
2 members (wofahulicodoc, A C Bowden), 565 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith