About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
You must be very proud, Bran! I hope they "gol" all the way!!! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Yep, go, the Netherlands! (Sorry, don't know the team name.) I was just reading where Ghana lost a heartbreaker. I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.

(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I included a pun in my post, so it's all good Jackie :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
laugh Thanks on behalf of the Netherlands team. The orange that swallowed the crocodile. ( A Gazeta Esportiva, São Paulo ) So sorry Ghana lost. They were thàt very close. Holland-Ghana would have been nice.@twosleepy. Got the puns. laugh

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.
(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

What I like about soccer is that you can see the players in their real shape, not wrapped up in matrasses, pads, helmets and other furniture ( specially when they are wink worth looking at ). Yes, U.S was doing vey well for a country that considers soccer is for sissies.

About language: Once more it is funny to remark that a winning teams is referred to as "we". When they lose they directly become "they". I heard someone say "I". "I prefer to play against a team like.... " He was a spectator, not a player.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/06/10 08:31 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Jackie
I don't know much anything about soccer, but given the shock that was expressed when we got as far as we did, I wasn't surprised at our loss to Ghana.(Note: yes, I know this is a language board. Special occasions warrant, y'know.)

What I like about soccer is that you can see the players in their real shape, not wrapped up in matrasses, pads, helmets and other furniture ( specially when they are wink worth looking at ). Yes, U.S was doing vey well for a country that considers soccer for sissies.

About language: dzoof!

Last edited by BranShea; 07/06/10 08:30 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, MAN--what a heartbreaker for the Orange! They made 2 or 3 bad shots and had two good ones knocked away. However, if Spain had made all their bad shots they'd have had about seven points, I think--they really had some poor ones.
One of the announcers, whoever he was, revealed himself as a master of understatement when he said after a Spaniard let an opportunity go by: "That would have been a magnificent goal...had it been forthcoming".

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Oh, Man smile --they were the better and the fitter one for the occasion. And we missed the luck we needed. Like the saying goes: 'You never know how the ball will roll'. They gave it the best they could.At least we all can act normal again.
Hurray!
For twosleepy . Congratulation on your birthday!! I saw the little cake this night and thought your birthday had just started. It was very late. Time-confusion.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/12/10 10:22 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I was a bit disappointed; it looked like they were trying to win through intimidation with all those yellows - and it ended up costing them in the end.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There 's a lot of critisism coming in, also by our own commentaters. I suppose they are right, I have missed large parts of it, as I find these type of events too impressive and I confess I listen from a distance without looking. I missed the goal, I missed the kickbox move; I just saw the sad end. But I rely on what Cruyff says, he's an expert- that it was an ugly finale.
I watched the comments right now and know a lot more about what went on. I liked the Spain-Germany match which I watched completely.

Last edited by BranShea; 07/12/10 05:50 PM.
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea

For twosleepy . Congratulation on your birthday!! I saw the little cake this night and thought your birthday had just started. It was very late. Time-confusion.

The little cake? I'm stumped on that!

My aunt, cousin and her husband and baby are here from England, and we were at the lake yesterday. My husband got a cake and ice cream, and I got some nice cards and little gifts. The bad thing was hearing that Spain won! I told everyone I had an internet friend in the Netherlands, and was rooting for them. Sorry they didn't win! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's pretty standard that we lose the finals. To better or no better teams. The Spanish deserved the win. And the uproar about fair play... acting hurt and dropping to the floor in agony is part of the basic training. Referees have a tough job. Still we were the smallest country to survive the biggies. Now for a nice hogwash. No tackling or pushing/pulling laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,364
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 596 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,558
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith