Page 1 of 2 1 2
#191708 06/29/10 05:25 AM
T
ThePuru Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
When I first caught sight of this week's theme, I was overjoyed. I'm currently working on something called The Poop Project: A Cultural Movement (thepoopproject.wordpress.com). Our goal is to create "poop positive" spaces by initiating public conversations about our often private business. In most modern cultures, poop is either invisible or euphemistically glazed over under the generalized, unclean heading of "dirt" (as the weekly subject of "Dirty Words" confirms). In fact, linguist Steven Pinker in his book The Stuff of Thought notes that: "When it comes to the referents of taboo terms, the English language has gone overboard with specialization, and fails to provide us with neutral terms for casual conversation." Which is to say that, if we want to talk about poop, we're forced to utilize words that are taboo, mildly dysphemistic, euphemistic, formal, childish or medical, leaving us linguistically barren of any casual, conversational terms that could, for example, be used on the news. So thank you, Anu Garg, for bringing this topic out of the water closet. I encourage you to join the movement, and help us in redefining this most basic bodily function for a healthier, more enlightened future.

ThePuru #191709 06/29/10 12:05 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome. As far as I can see Anu is using eufemisms or words relating to other connotations. I see no banners or barricades here to promote 'dirty words'. All those neutral terms for casual conversation, we all know them. No need for someone to provide us with what we already know. It's a matter of taste I think, how far you want to use them at home , among friends or out in the public world. It's about keeping the balance; I don't mind a bit of taboo and eufemism. As long as people don't exagerate. Language would lose a number of funny, nuanced and creative words if we threw all eufemisms over board.

BranShea #191711 06/29/10 04:35 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ditto, Bran.

----please, draw me a sheep----
LukeJavan8 #191744 07/01/10 06:47 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I've been away and was surprised by this week's theme. I was in a town in Alaska last year where one of the major enterprises was Scatology. The town was a center for jewelry and small sculpture pieces such a nativity scenes and chess sets carved from moose scat. I wonder if that makes this process scatological?

kah454 #191745 07/01/10 09:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Only the chess set I suppose.

BranShea #191750 07/02/10 01:33 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Periodically here at rodeos and county fairs we have
cow pie throwing contests ! ! !

----please, draw me a sheep----
LukeJavan8 #191754 07/02/10 02:50 AM
addict
addict
Scat, droppings, bowel movement, stool, dung, spoor, frass (specialized and uncommon), turd, etc. are neither "dysphemistic, euphemistic, formal, childish [n]or medical." Nor are they inherently humorous, self-conscious, or evasive. "Stool" and "feces" have acquired a medical denotation, but only because those are the words used in the medical field, and there is little casual conversation on the subject elsewhere. I think the elderly, when talking to friends or family, use "bowel movement" most commonly (at least in my experience.) Technically, this phrase refers to the act rather than the product, but it has come to mean the product as well - much the same as one would say that one has made a "drawing" or a "painting." "Poop" seems to be the word currently used by the media, but the media hardly govern interpersonal speech.

Droppings are not treated any differently in conversation than other bodily products - we don't refer to spittle, ear wax, nasal mucus, vaginal secretions, pus, urine, or any other exudate (with the notable exceptions of perspiration and lacrimal secretions - tears) without at least a vague sense of unease, so perhaps we should organize projects to celebrate these items, as well.

"I don't know which is worse: ignorance or apathy. And, frankly, I don't care." - Anonymous
beck123 #191758 07/02/10 08:30 AM
P
stranger
stranger
P
The English meaning of feculent came as a shock. I am used to the French equivalent, differing only by an accent, which means simply 'starchy' and is applied to things like potatoes, pasta and beans. The Latin origin is the same; strange that dregs came to mean starch! When I logged in to comment I was amused, given the context, to find that an advert popped up "Stools - 24Hr delivery" - but not the feculent kind of stools!

beck123 #191764 07/02/10 02:24 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Actually there is something like this going on with the Food and Drug Administration. The "Milk" industry wants only products that are from mammalian secretions to be labeled milk. This must be a truth in advertizing issue; no soy about it.
One more thing on this week's theme. I was also thinking about poop and naval architecture;the Poop Deck on a sailing vessel was the rear deck above the cabin, from the french word for stern, la poupe.

kah454 #191774 07/03/10 01:54 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
the Poop Deck on a sailing vessel was the rear deck above the cabin, from the french word for stern, la poupe. Thanks, kah; I didn't know that. Welcome, Pipistrel!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,345
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 889 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,547
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith