Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
When I either an acronym or an abbreviation and I make it plural or past tense, I tend to use an apostrophe between the main word and the suffix, like this:

discontinue --> D/C
discontinued --> D/C'd

Volkswagen --> VW
Volkswagens --> VW's

sport utility vehicle --> SUV
sport utility vehicles --> SUV's
sport utility vehicle drivers --> morons (DOH!)

Does anyone else do this?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Here are a few local favorites.

P's - parents
P'd - pissed off
Dis'd - disrespected (I know, nice try)
B/O'd - back ordered
P/O'd - Ordered (with a purchase order)
PC'd - Changed/Converted from Mac to PC

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Alex, you are keeping busy this month, aren't you, Sweetie?
I assume you meant write acronyms and abbreviations.
Yes, I do. We've had some discussion about this before,
but darned if I can find it.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm - That thread dosen't seem to approach the issue of past tense ("'d") although it hardly makes sense to substitute a single letter even though it happens often enough ( pronounciation specific "can't"). I came back to edit my post for the one "'s" I did include (for I agree that without "'" makes most sense) and it just won't prompt the reader to pronounce the "P" as seperate (I expect something like "piz" will be vocalized). Am I to write "Pees" to insure this (which means a new word not an acronym or an abbreviation (yart?)?

Jackie - I do write these (the last three, anyway) in reports that are internal, and "P's" in personal letters all the time... ("ya gotta" start somewhere)... hopefully a mystery for three generations from now attempting to figure out what "P's" are...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The general rule I have read, which makes sense to me and I use in my published materials, is that the apostrophe should not be used unless necessary to clarify meaning. Example: multiple A = A's rather than As, but multiple PC = PCs.

B
addict
addict
B
I'm with shanks. I loathe apostrophes used to make a plural, even in acronyms. They are just the thin end of the shim...

W
wow Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
W
apostrophes...They are just the thin end of the shim...
Interesting. We say "the thin edge of the wedge" same meaning. More euphonious ? A shim is commonly used by carpenters here it being a small piece of wood or metal to align something usually. A wedge is a big metal object tapering to sharp, thin edge used in splitting logs. Comments?
wow
P.S. One common misuse of apostrophes here in US is Veteran's Day for the correct Veterans Day . Drives me nuts!

M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
...They are just the thin end of the shim...

I smiled as I read this - I assumed it was tongue-in-cheek. "Thin end of the wedge" is the common expression I am familiar with. Like wow's carpentry example, for me (mechanical engineering/machinery applications) a shim is a thin piece of metal used to adjust something to a critical position or size. A shim is usually VERY thin and uniform thickness, so the "thin end of the shim" is a nonsense.

[edited in later]... I've just done what I should have done before my post - looked up a dictionary. M-W has shim as:
a thin often tapered piece of material (as wood, metal, or stone) used to fill in space between things (as for support, leveling, or adjustment of fit)

Hmm, so it's not nonsensical or tongue-in-cheek as I thought.

B
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
B
Hmmm. So was it Valentine's day OR Valentines day? In French we say "la Saint Valentin" (yes, there is no e on the end) so it refers to that one specific person from which the day originated. Is this also true in English, or does it refer to the people celebrating the day?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
...the apostrophe should not be used unless necessary to clarify meaning. Example: multiple A = A's rather than As, but multiple PC = PCs.

I'm with Sparteye. Excellent concise rule. Occam's Willie would be proud.

----
And Bel, it is Saint Valentine's Day.

A
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
A
Bridget may want to wring my neck for it, but alas I do use an apostrophe at the end of a plural acronym. Of course I know better than to do it otherwise. Now what really vexes me is when you see a sign posted in a store that reads:

THERE WILL BE A $15 SERVICE FEE FOR "ALL" RETURNED CHECKS

Even worse, I saw one that read "There is a $15 charge for 'EACH' returned checks." I had to go home and take an aspirin for that one.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Bel, it is Saint Valentine's Day

...even though [pedant-cap-emoticon] there were two of them! - so should be Valentines' Day

I had to go home and take an aspirin for that one

So that's what passed tense does for you, huh?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith