About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
A few weeks ago, my computer began running slow--so slow that it was driving me crazy. For ex., the top and bottom bar of a new window would appear, with space in between which would take several minutes to fill in--if it ever did. So I took it to the shop, and got it back in a couple of days.

Some days after that I went on-line to pay my credit card bill, and got a screen saying they needed to re-verify my identity. I didn't think anything about it (to my horror, now): I just figured that whatever the computer guy did, it had erased my info.

I mean, this page wanted everything: my full name, Social Security number, d.o.b., mother's maiden name; the number on the credit card plus the number on the back of it, plus my PIN for it. Then I got REALLY lucky, in that these people were greedy: it wanted my checking account number and PIN for that.

Well, I don't have a checking acc't. at that bank, and this info. was required, whereupon I called Customer Service, to learn that something--a virus?--had been planted in my computer that redirected me to this phishing page. (The computer guy then tried a quick fix, even finding and deleting a rootkit, but that didn't solve my problem; thus it spent 3 days in the shop last week.)

Now, I knew that my "real" bank would not ask for that kind of information either on-line or over the phone, but I didn't generalize this to all banks. However, I think that would be a good idea.

Sorry for boring those of you who think more than I do, but maybe this will serve as a warning for some.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Does not surprise me a bit. A number of years ago I had my
wallet stolen, luckily I had everyone contacted within
1 hour and 15 mins. Nothing surprises me in anything
you mentioned here. So sorry it happened.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the reminder. There are also some who seem to gather all they can pick up on info they can gather about you and then pretend they can show all information about you. But what they have is picked up from public Google stuff. They pretend being able to give your email adress, but they haven't got it. They gather pictures that carry your name, but it isn't you. A whole page of incorrect information.
What drives those people?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What drives those people?

Greed, pure and simple.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith