Next Thread
Print Thread
#190091 03/19/10 04:45 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
The etymology as provided doesn't go far enough. While originating in Middle French, this is a good strong Scots word, one I learned while studying Scottish poetry at the University of Edinburgh many decades ago. I think of 'gallimaufry' particularly connected with the very flavorful Hugh MacDairmid. I wonder if the word is used generally across the English speaking world, or more particularly in areas with Scottish influences?

I'd also like to make a plea for more detailed etymology and usage descriptions. We 'wordies' always want more!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I use it on a file in which I keep odds and ends. I also use
"olio and ort". But I doubt it is used much here in the
Great Plains, never hear it. But around here most words have
to deal with eating, drinking,and football.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Altadena Annie
the very flavorful Hugh MacDairmid. I wonder if the word is used generally across the English speaking world, or more particularly in areas with Scottish influences? I'd also like to make a plea for more detailed etymology and usage descriptions. We 'wordies' always want more!

Link Dear Annie, I found found your Hugh MacDiarmid, but not the connection to flavorful.Could you tell more? Maybe someone here could react better.

BranShea #190130 03/22/10 05:53 PM
A
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
A
MacDairmid used the word "gallimaufry' in reference to his epic poem "A Drunk Man Looks at a Thistle", describing it as a 'hodge podge' of collected pieces fit into a unified framework. My adjective of 'flavorful' just refers to his delicious use of language, most often writing in Scots. It really must be read out loud to be fully appreciated. Of course I took a whole year of Scottish Poetry while at Edinburgh so I had a lot of help figuring it out.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, I see.. Thanks. I found the title intriguing enough to go on the search and found at least an exerpt : Link - of the "Drunk Man who Looked at the Thistle"
It may wink an eye to the Poetry thread.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
A belated Welcome aBoard, Annie. Your comments have made me go dig out a book my friend in Edinburgh gave me, which you probably have: Scots Poems to be Read Aloud, published by Luath Press in E-burgh. "An monie, monie mair collectit an wi an innin by Stuart McHardy."

BranShea #190146 03/23/10 03:20 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Ah, I see.. Thanks. I found the title intriguing enough to go on the search and found at least an exerpt : Link - of the "Drunk Man who Looked at the Thistle"
It may wink an eye to the Poetry thread.

Except they are working on "Spring-time" there. Hate to interrupt, it may cause spring to go away.

----please, draw me a sheep----

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 729 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith