About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Faldage #187816 11/15/09 01:17 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I've taken a good look at the fixes. So affix is the general word for a variety of possibilities. And in this case we are talking of prefixes and suffixes?
The diminuative suffixes I think in our language can have an endearing as well as in a pejorative connotation. If we want to stay totally neutral, we place it the diminuative in front , like in English : een klein huis- a little house. When we use the suffixed form 'huisje' > little house, it all depends on context and intonation for being endearing or condescending.

Even schatje or Schätzchen can be used in pejorative manner.

Funny thing, I realized is that we have one word where the diminuative suffix is undetachable: 'meisje' - little girl or girl. We do not have the word 'meis', whereas we have the words 'jongen' - 'boy' and 'jongetje' - 'little boy'. "Meisje" goes straight up to young woman. Like in German "Mädchen" goes straight up to junge Frau.

( final comment on 'paisucho') I've looked up English and Dutch comments on the affair and found that the English have given a moderated version of the translation. All the Dutch translations give " klotelandje" which refers to
male reproductive parts: it's slang for 'balls'.

Last edited by BranShea; 11/15/09 01:18 PM.
BranShea #187818 11/15/09 02:46 PM
zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I've taken a good look at the fixes. So affix is the general word for a variety of possibilities. And in this case we are talking of prefixes and suffixes?

Well, I was, though I gave no examples of prefixes, I was just trying to include other languages that might use prefixes to indicate smallness. This does give me a chance to define some terms.

One of the areas of intense research in linguistics is morphology (the study of (word) forms). First, linguists usually distinguish between inflectional and derivational morphology.

Inflectional has to do with inflections like case and number endings (e.g., -s as a plural ending in nouns, -s is also a third person singular ending on verbs in the present indicative).

Derivational morphology usually deals with morphemes (the discrete bits of words) that change the meaning or syntactic category (part of speech) of a root or word. Examples: un- is a common (or productive) prefix that usually negates the word it's attached to, true and untrue. -th was originally attached to adjectives to make abstract nouns out of them: e.g., hale and health, well and wealth. -ling is a diminutive suffix gosling, duckling.

Affixes: there are prefixes un-, re-, suffixes -hood (cf. German -heit), -ship (cf. German -schaft, infixes pretty rare in English, but common enough in Sanskrit where there are a few classes of verbs (conjugations) that have -n or -nV- infixed in certain forms of the verb. Other languages have circumfixes 'around the root'.

In your example of Dutch een klein huis 'a small house', klein 'small' is not an prefix but an adjective modifying the noun huis. I agree that "a small/little house" is rather neutral connotation-wise.

German and Dutch (and many other IE languages still have significant amounts of inflections in their morphological systems, but English has lost most of its. If you look at Old English, it looks more like German or Dutch in its inflectional morphology. We still have a bunch of derivational morphology. As Faldo mentioned above, -gate (from Watergate) has become a pejorative suffix, divorced from its original meaning of either a gate in placenames or a street (cf. German Gasse 'alley'). Something simular has happened to -burger in English, no longer meaning inhabitant of a city' as in German Hamburger 'a citizen of Hamburg'.

Your example of Dutch meisje 'little girl' is interesting. In German Mädchen, the -chen is a diminutive suffix and Mäd- does not exist on its own, in that form; there is the word Magd (cf. English maid, maiden) that is sort of archaic sounding (although in Bavaria, they still refer to a young women as a Magdl. I'm sure meis existed in an earlier form of Dutch, but for some historical reason has dropped out of the language. German -chen and -lein are interesting because they are actually composed of two diminutive suffixes a piece from -k-, -l-, and -n-. This was common in other IE languages, e.g., Latin homo 'human', homunculus 'manikin'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #187819 11/15/09 03:53 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'm sure meis existed in an earlier form of Dutch,
Of course, remember now. There is the old form meid, still used to tell a little girl she should be a big "meid" at some point, but it's also an old word for servant girl, cleaning help.
Level with maybe the German word Mädel. "Das Dreimäderlhaus".

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,374
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (A C Bowden), 233 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith