Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Hi,
"Wrapped Around the Axle" - I have often wondered about the origin of this phrase. I think that it means to be in an extremely frustrating situation as when the horses reins are dropped and they get wrapped around the axle of the carriage or wagon.
Can anyone enlighten me?
Thanks
Frank C

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
references: wrapped

It may be an old expression and come from horse and carriage or wheelbarrow. When it happens with your bike it's no fun either.

Something that brings you to a grinding halt and is difficult to remove, is what I read it means.

What intrigues me however, speaking of horses, is why the horse mackerel is called horse mackerel. You're welcome to answer that. (horses don't eat fish nor does horse mackerel have hoofs)

old hand
old hand
As far as the "axle" issue goes, I don't see any particular connection to horses, wagons and reins. The axle(s) of a wagon would be nowhere near the reins, even if you dropped them. Besides, most harnesses have keepers to prevent the reins from dropping down. I think it's just a generic axle, as any axle (or any spinning thing, for that matter) is going to get messed up if something wraps around it.

From Wiki, Bran: "It gets its common name from the legend that other smaller species of fish could ride on the back of it over great distances."

:0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
True, not particularly horse- related. Just spinning things. A twig blocking the grass mower. It might be interesting to know when the expression was first used.

Quote:
"It gets its common name from the legend that other smaller species of fish could ride on the back of it over great distances."

That's cute. A legend or reality ? A live mackerel has a really splendid multi-colored skin. A friend brought some home from a fishing trip off the coast here. A favorite fish.

P
stranger
stranger
P
A cabbie in San Francisco once told me there are 10 horse-related words or phrases that are used with respect to weddings. Certainly, "bridal", "hitched" and "groom" come to mind, and even "ring" could be tossed in. But since then, I've been racking my brain to come up with others. Any ideas?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bridal (< Old English brȳdealo 'wedding feast' < brȳd 'bride' and ealu 'ale') and bridle (from Old English brīdel) are two different words. The groom in bridgeroom originally meant 'man'; related to Latin homo, hominis.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
smile Marriage should be a game of bridge, but more often it's a game of poker.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Maybe a sulky or hansom cab would present an opportunity for the reins to become wrapped in the wheels or around the axle.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
smile Marriage should be a game of bridge, but more often it's a game of poker.

Or Russian Roulette.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was a meant as a very subtile comment on the bridgeroom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,338
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 651 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,544
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,917
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith