Print Thread
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
jmh Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
J
>wellstone<---------------------------------------->grams etc

Thanks to "Atomica" I could just about follow that. Sadly the "Source For Official Jesse Ventura Merchandise" was closed for remodelling so I wasn't able to purchase a souvenir. What's all this about independence for Minnesota? Perhaps we should get the twinning committees out and see if we can twin Minnesota with Scotland?

#18809 02/20/01 04:30 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
registered independent
No matter what my political opinions might be at the moment, or who might be running for what party, I would never register as an independent. In this state, as in most states, an independent can not vote in a primary election. This is a real loss, since in many areas, most elections are decided in the primaries. When I was in college, my official residence (for voting purposes) was in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, a well-to-do area about 90 percent Republican. No Democrat ever got elected to anything there, and if you were not registered as a Republican you couldn't vote in the primary. Since I wanted to vote against Rep. Francis Walter, the chairman of the House Unamerican Activities Committee, I registered as a Republican, although I had every intention to vote for the Democrat candidate for president (JFK) in the general election.

The situation is reversed in Maryland, where I live. Republicans hardly every get elected to anything in Baltimore, but there are Republicans trying to, and it matters which Republicans win nomination in the primary election. Registered Republicans and Democrats get to pick their respective candidates in the primaries and can then vote for whichever they like in the general election, but independents have to choose from the candidates the others have picked.

#18810 02/20/01 04:45 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
In reply to:

an independent can not vote in a primary election. This is a real loss, since in many areas, most elections are decided in the primaries.

yes, true in NY too, I am registered as "democrat"-- but have gone to "fund raisers" for Republicans-- but generally think of my self as a liberal! NY does have the peculiar "rockerfelleer rebublicans" who are sometimes more liberal than democrates, or the liberals!

real decisions are often made in the primaries-- last year, i voted "late" after work at about 7PM, and was the 87th voter in my district (a large district!) to vote in the primary. 1 primary vote is equal to about 10 !

It very rare for me to vote "straight line" --that is all the candidate from one party.

#18811 02/20/01 05:29 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Thanks for that, Bob and Helen - it makes several facets of USA politics clearer to me that I have always struggled to fully understand. I can't help thinking it is another old-fashioned and profoundly un-democratic principle to have to declare a nominal allegiance prior even to voting. But there again, I am a serf in a neo-feudal kingdom, so what do I know?!

#18812 02/20/01 05:42 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>profoundly un-democratic principle to have to
declare a nominal allegiance prior even to voting

in theory, these primary rules are supposed to limit the voting to a winnowing of candidates within [your] party; of course, nothing ever works extrapolated from theory.... [in this case, how can they limit your free choice of party declaration -- so, for instance, republicans may cross over in the attempt to derail the most formidable democrat opponent, if there is no real contest on the republican side]

#18813 02/20/01 05:54 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Whom do you register with? The government? The party in question? Can you change your registration?

I get the feeling things are different in Canada. You just "become a member" of a party. Probably involves a fee paid to said party. Then you can attend conventions and vote on the leader. I'm not clear on what happens if two people from one party want to run in a particular riding. I think the members in that riding get to vote on who should run. That kind of sounds like what you're talking about.

But it may be that you can be a member of many parties, if you want, especially considering that some parties don't exist on both federal and provincial levels. This is something I'm not sure about. You might be a member of the Parti Quebecois provincially but the Bloc Qubecois federally (or is it the other way around - Bel?). Or Liberal in both, since it exists at both levels. All very confusing...

#18814 02/20/01 06:00 PM
M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
riding

Ooh! Tell me more - is this the common term for electoral districts where you are? This is a wonderfully old word, with serious history...

#18815 02/20/01 06:06 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Yup, riding is the common word for "electoral district". Also "constituency" is used. One may be federal and one may be provincial. (Once again I curse the dictionary which is at home while I am at school.) Both seem to be used interchangeably. "Electoral district" is definitely a US term in our eyes.

#18816 02/20/01 06:18 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I'd just like to add (in the interests of the forum) that when it comes to US politics, republicans and democrats are unasinous.

#18817 02/20/01 06:22 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
>Whom do you register with? The government? The party in question? Can you change your registration?

in Minnesota, you register on election day, for that primary election only; in effect you say, give me the <party of choice> ballot.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith