About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you both -- muchas gracias -- obrigada.

Last edited by AnnaStrophic; 11/02/09 04:34 PM.
old hand
old hand
I checked both of those links. The first appears to be incorrectly written, as it says the plural third person is vosotros, where vosotros is actually the plural second person (informal), that is, the plural form of . I'm not sure I trust that page.

You're referencing Wikipedia! I thought you were on my Wiki-haters list....

There may be some confusion and/or controversy regarding the "third person" label. In Spanish, the forms for the third person are the same as those for the second person formal (Usted and Ustedes). I don't believe the imperative forms are truly third person, but the forms are used for Usted and Ustedes. Since the labels are debatable, I'll leave it at you pick yours and I'll pick mine.

Regarding ¡Viva el rey!, I believe it is a shortening of ¡Que viva el rey!, which can be translated "That the king (should) live" but is generally "Long live the king". This would be the subjunctive.

On a personal note, zmjezhd, my intent was to be humorous about the corrections, with a little added jubilation (I rarely get to be the "expert"), which should indicate to you that I rarely see mistakes from you, and that your knowledge base is deep and awe-inspiring. I did not intend any disrespect, so if you felt that, I do apologize, as I did not wish to even imply any such thing! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You're referencing Wikipedia! I thought you were on my Wiki-haters list....

Moi? Nope, I find Wikipedia useful, and cite it often.

here may be some confusion and/or controversy regarding the "third person" label.

Agreed. I was using it because that's how I have often seen it referred to in linguistics texts and grammars. But, if you're going to call no llores a 2nd person negative imperative, then I guess I can call llore a 3rd person imperative. Latin had these, too. Vivat rex 'let the king live', fiat lux 'let there be light', etc.

The problem in the end is one of terminology. Some people like their terminology to be based on forms. And others on function.

my intent was to be humorous about the corrections, with a little added jubilation (I rarely get to be the "expert")

I appreciated that you pointed out some problems with my post, and I tried to rectify them. I hope I did not seem to be taking umbrage.

[Addendum: a discussion of imperative mood in the Gramática de la lengua castellana by Real Academia Española (link), including examples of 3PS and 1PP.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 11/02/09 06:31 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
With compliments from the Mexican connection:
"Sing and don't cry",
ay ay ay ay

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
[Addendum: a discussion of imperative mood in the Gramática de la lengua castellana by Real Academia Española (link), including examples of 3PS and 1PP.]

You are one FUNNY guy! Thanks for the chortle... Nothing like a text over 100 years old to help me brush up on my grammar... I know these guys, anyway. They probably changed most of what's in there in the last 100 years. Heck, they even deleted 2 letters from the alphabet in 1994! :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
Nothing like a text over 100 years old to help me brush up on my grammar.

So, how old is the song Cielito Lindo? I would say consulting a grammar book that's over 100 years old would be perfectly appropriate for examining the grammar of a song that's over 100 years old. But that's just me. YMMV.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Nothing like a text over 100 years old to help me brush up on my grammar...

Well, I did try to find something in between Wikipedia and the Real Academia Española. I was somewhat hampered in my quest by the length of copyright being what it is these days, and basically having been extended to a century. Also, on a lighter side, maybe I'm just a centenarian grammarian. wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
centenarian grammarian. wink

Okay, now that's cute! Sounds like something from Grammar Rock! I really loved that Schoolhouse Rock stuff... classic!

Originally Posted By: Faldage
So, how old is the song Cielito Lindo?

My question is: What the heck were they smokin' when they wrote it???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
What the heck were they smokin' when they wrote it?

Rope? Not ropas.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Not even made of hemp? ;0)

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,912
Posts229,283
Members9,179
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV, Heather_Turey, Standy
9,179 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 302 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,510
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith