Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wanna finger the perps Okay, okay.
Def.'s were submitted by AHD, BranShea, Faldage, TheFallibleFiend, twosleepy, and wofahulicodoc. Thank you all VERY much! tsuwm, I am guessing you stayed out because you knew the real def.?

Jackie #187051 10/02/09 02:49 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
It's been virtually 48 hours since the last post. I'm putting the results now.

A. cacomistle - a dung beetle by wofahulicodoc; one point for twosleepy's vote.

B. A small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal of Central America, having a black-banded tail. AHD*; one dang vote; bonus point for wofa

C. A bag of excrement left on a doorstep prior to ringing a doorbell and disappearing from sight around the hedge. by TheFallibleFiend; one point for making the hogmistress grin!

D. the muffled sound of a crowd of people talking in a thick fog by Branshea; one point from olly

E. The white fuzz sometimes found growing on the undersides of the leaves of certain species of maple. by Faldage; one point from Mr. Formerly Eta

F. A poor sermon, or other speech of advisement, or such a sermon delivered poorly, so as to be hard on the ear of the listener. Last but not least, twosleepy garners three points from TFF, Branshea, and Faldage. EDIT--this one got FOUR; I forgot tsuwm's.
===============================================================

*Now I must confess my other change in the OP: I left out the scientific name of the animal, for fear it would give too good a clue to the Latin scholars here.
cac·o·mis·tle

NOUN:

A small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal (Bassariscus sumichrasti) of Central America, having a black-banded tail.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
American Spanish cacomiztle, from Nahuatl tlacomiztli : tlaco, half, part + miztli, mountain lion

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition.
Copyright © 2000

===============================================================

Hmm--this is W & FUN, so...

twosleepy was so confused by Branshea and others' muffled sound of a crowd of people talking in a thick fog that she gave a poor sermon; TheFallibleFiend was so incensed by this that he left a bag of excrement on her doorstep, rang the doorbell and disappeared from sight around the hedge. In his haste he tripped over Jackie, the small carnivorous raccoonlike mammal, whereupon she accidentally ate the white fuzz sometimes found growing on the undersides of the leaves of certain species of maple. This gave her the trots, which wofa the dung beetle cleared away with no problem.

Last edited by Jackie; 10/03/09 02:21 AM.
Jackie #187063 10/02/09 04:08 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
She's not the only confused one. In post #1 today is supposed
to be the cut-off day for voting.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Jackie #187064 10/02/09 05:49 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Good word and presentation, reminding of last word 'eonism' where two factions were formed : the eosists and the eonists , when all the while the def. popped up from a total different angle.
Here we had excrementists and audionistst and again, we missed it. All but one: Wofa, who stepped up from beetle to racoon.
Twosleepy's 'poor sermon' was well payed for, but that's inherent to sermons more often.

Pray, who are AHD and TFF ?

LukeJavanee, if you planned to vote for D you can still do it, if for something else, time seems to be up.

Thanks Jackie, in spite of: *Now I must confess my other change in the OP: I left out the scientific name of the animal, for fear it would give too good a clue to the Latin scholars here.
cac·o·mis·tle
--Falsificacocation? grin

LukeJavan8 #187065 10/02/09 05:53 PM
old hand
old hand
Luke, it says "by Oct. 2nd", which can mean that the 2nd is not included, plus she added "at the latest". Sorry if you didn't get to vote...

I am surprised and way-out-of-proportionally pleased at getting so many votes! I was going to make it a bird, having heard of the Mistle Thrush, but not knowing what the "mistle" part meant (it means to fall in very fine drops, as rain; to drizzle), I didn't think it was another bird. I went with the "caco-" prefix and went from there. Here's the funny part: being a Spanish teacher, I didn't see any connection to things Spanish. The name still doesn't seem at all like the Nahuatl it comes from, and I've never heard of this animal. In some CA countries they are called "mico" or "mico de noche", and their range includes at least 13 US states, all the way up into Oregon!

Thanks, Jackie, for a great new word, and inspiring a very interesting web search! :0)

BranShea #187066 10/02/09 05:59 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Pray, who are AHD and TFF ?

AHD = American Heritage Dictionary (a good one)
TFF = TheFallibleFiend

LukeJavanee, if you planned to vote for D you can still do it, if for something else, time seems to be up.

Sorry, no cheating! ;0)

cac·o·mis·tle [/i][/color]--Falsificacocation? grin

You, my dear, are incorrigible and adorable! :0)

twosleepy #187068 10/02/09 06:28 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Well, in fact, you're not that bad yourself. But tell me, are my eyes deceiving me or did Jackie (certainly not on purpose) withhold you your fourth vote i.e. the one from tsuwm?
You are F arent't you?

BranShea #187069 10/02/09 06:58 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
indeed. good catch.

formerly known as etaoin...
Jackie #187077 10/03/09 12:07 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: Jackie
F. A poor sermon, or other speech of advisement, or such a sermon delivered poorly, so as to be hard on the ear of the listener. Last but not least, twosleepy garners three points from TFF, Branshea, and Faldage

AND tsuwm! I get four! I get four! :0)

Thanks, Bran!

twosleepy #187078 10/03/09 02:19 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Shoot! Sorry, 2s; I should have known better than to try to sum it all up when I was tired.

And sorry, Luke; but I really did take 48 hours of no activity as a sign that no others were interested in voting.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 799 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith