Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#186907 09/22/09 02:55 AM
Jackie Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Thank you, Anu; I did not know this. I also think at least part of the letter you linked to in today's Word is worth quoting here (or anywhere):
... I went back and read the founders' early writings about the Constitution and the Bill of Rights. What a fascinating time to be alive! What astonishing minds! Here's what I learned: our whole system of government was based on the idea that the purpose of the state was to preserve individual liberties, not to dictate them. The founders uniformly despised many practices in England that compromised matters of individual conscience by restricting freedom of speech. Freedom of speech – the right to talk, write, publish, discuss – was so important to the founders that it was the first amendment to the Constitution ...

journeyman
journeyman
I am facinated by this. I checked the Banned Book List on the American Library Association link and the first on on the list was The Great Gatsby. I am now living in the house in which I grew up located in Port Washington, NY which is in reality East Egg. My mother had moved there in the 1920's and this book was banned, not for the content but that the parents did not want the kids figuring out who Fitzgerald had based the characters upon. No comstockery there; as it was more about the airing of dirty linens.

journeyman
journeyman
Imprimatur, this is still used today. It's companion is Nihil Obstat; literally means nothing hinders. The Catholic Church uses it as nothing objectionable in content.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Welcome kah454, I found a nice Nihil Obstat logo somewhere, but lost it in the proces of searching. If I can retrace it I'll edit this post.

There is another way in which the word 'imprimatur' is used. In
oil painting, from the days of the Flemish Primitives till the second half of the 19th century when the impressionists adopted a more direct "a la prima" technique ( e.i. started directly from the white gesso coated linnen), it means a varnish mixed with brownish or greenish-grey transparant layer applied to take off the blatant gesso-covered white of the panel or canvas.

( about Rembrandt)
"The primer for the panels is white, probably glue-chalk gesso, covered with a transparent brown imprimatur of Burnt Umber mixed with varnish, which creates the golden glow characteristic of his work. His canvases are primed with a warm grey made from 'loodwit'(lead white with chalk, ground in linseed oil) and Raw Umber, or sometimes with white lead alone, with a transparent brown imprimatur."

journeyman
journeyman
How interesting to here this about painting. I was a theatre student eventually receiving a Master's in Fine Art. I have heard of this technique. As a design student I worked with many scenic artists who would always use after "sizing" canvas a coat of either raw or brunt umber or raw or brunt sienna as a base layer prior to inking in the designs. Thank you

M
stranger
stranger
M
Just yesterday I found this link to a very famous, and controversial, book by Charles Darwin that is a prime example of today's word "bowdlerize." Origin of Species BOWDLERIZED

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Can we burn Cameron's book?

veteran
veteran
They are distributing this Bowdlerized version at the top schools in the U.S. While there may be a few who take it seriously, I anticipate most of the students are going to laugh themselves delirious.

I fear, however, they will begin to pass it out at medium-ranked and lower-ranked schools where they might find recruiting easier.

S
stranger
stranger
S
I'm sorry, but i do not think imprimatur belongs in a discussion of words about censorship or banning books. An imprimatur is an endorsement of a book by the local bishop. A book can be published without the endorsement of a bishop. There are many books on the Catholic fiath without an imprimatur.

Associating the word "imprimatur" with censorship reinforces a prejudiced stereotype that the Catholic Church tries to withhold knowledge. In reality, it was the Catholic Church that started the university system.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
welcome, Sid!

in re-reading this thread, I didn't see that anyone had specifically targeted the Catholic Church as censorial, but in reading Anu's definition again, I see that he used the word "censor" in the 2nd definition. there's interesting reading at Wikipedia, and also this short item at American Catholic.

nearly any organization that edits books is using some form of censorship to make sure that the content fits with what they are putting forward.

formerly known as etaoin...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,361
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 751 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,557
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith