Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
Included under unnecessary expressions are phrases such as "In my opinion", "but I think that....", "However in my own experience....", "It seems apparent to me that...." etc etc

..since if it weren't your opinion you wouldn't assert it

That's my opinion

Dale, I am not sure what prescriptivist rule about these phrases you are referring too. the word tautalogy seems to be a descriptor rather than a rule.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Not only that, but you can assert it if it's more than your opinion or just something you think. You may know it as an established fact. As for noting that your experience differs from others is also not a tautology. You would be remiss in claiming something as an established fact if it is only your opinion, something you think, or merely what you have yourself experienced.

Not that there's anything wrong with tautologies.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Fal I guess while you would concur that in my own defense I did admit "tautology" might not conceivably be the right word, I must assert though with the most profound reservations as a matter of conjecture with which possibly few would disagree, except sometimes,

"You would be remiss in claiming something as an established fact if it is only your opinion, something you think, or merely what you have yourself experienced."

Fal I somewhat hesitatingly, I believe most might argue, thank you, though to some extent I feel compelled to in effect somewhat totally disagree. I would maintain with only personal presentiments there may be some special conditions in which you might contend to my satisfaction a qualifier possibly to be be appropriate but in my opinion, in general they're unnecessary except conceivably sometimes when the opposite tack is apparently called for, it seems to me, despite some possible ingemination, you must agree

Obviously to most of us of course it would be remiss under certain specific conditions to maintain "It is an established fact that Obama doesn't believe in God" though on the other hand in my estimation it would of course be all right to say, "Obviously he is lying," I think many might assert if properly approached under the right circumstances

But getting back to iteracy (if that's the right word) another of my pet peeves is the redundancy in expressions like "lift up" or "slash down" although I suppose you could credibly disagree, or so it might appear, at least in my own way of looking at things, wouldn't you say

...though I opine, with your permission, somewhat querulously to be sure, at least in the way a prescriptivist considers the proposition, that although you might not accord in toto, that many if not most participants might if asked endorse the elimination of much unnecessary verbiage

dalehileman
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
The unnecessary verbiage may be annoying but there is no concise rule about it that I know.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
yes, it certainly does seem to be annoying. furthermoreover, and in the second place, it doesn't seem to fit, and detracts from, what zmjezhd is looking for?! (zmj, how about a summary of what you've got out of this so far, if anything..)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: dalehileman

Fal I somewhat hesitatingly, I believe most might argue, thank you, though to some extent I feel compelled to in effect somewhat totally disagree. I would maintain with only personal presentiments there may be some special conditions in which you might contend to my satisfaction a qualifier possibly to be be appropriate but in my opinion, in general they're unnecessary except conceivably sometimes when the opposite tack is apparently called for, it seems to me, despite some possible ingemination, you must agree

I couldn't fail to disagree with you less.

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
how about a summary of what you've got out of this so far, if anything

Sure.

1. Not splitting infinitives.
2. Not ending sentences with a preposition.
3. Not starting a sentence with a conjunction.
4. Not using they as a singular non-gender-specific pronoun.
5. Eschewing the passive voice.
6. Eschewing tautology or redundancy.
7a. Not verbing nouns.
7b. Not nouning verbs.
8. Not using decimate with the sense of destroy.
9. Not using none or all of with the plural form of verbs.
10. The that-which rule.
11. Not using modifiers with unique.

They fall into a couple of broad categories:

a. Usage preferences mis-categorized as grammatical rules.
b. Eschewing polysemy in lexical items.

[Added some I forgot about earlier.]

Last edited by zmjezhd; 09/05/09 02:58 PM.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
that/which would give you ten, or have you dropped that?

zmjezhd Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
that/which would give you ten, or have you dropped that?

Yes, I added that and the unqualified unique ukase, too.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Here's a listing up with which I cannot put

dalehileman
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,330
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,577 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,541
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith