Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
From time to time we parade out Engish words that sound like negatives with no positive. Usually it's by attempted counterexample: Is my hair kempt? You know, sheveled? It shouldn't be; I'm really quite ept at such matters.

Just now I came across this:

Quote:
"...What a dreadfully disconcerting person," said Bob
Story.

"By George, it takes the conceit out of you," said
Stover ruthfully...."

on page 333 of Stover at Yale by Owen Johnson, as preserved by Google Books.

Yes, I know it's Tonypandy, but still I got excited!

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I new of the word but I have never seen it used.

Tonypandy???

Zed #185677 07/04/09 04:08 PM
W
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
W
Historical "fact", often as (re)written by the victors, that is not true, is rediscovered periodically to be not true, and yet the myth persists. Google Tonypandy and you'll find riots, massacre, police brutality. Far, far from the truth.

Josephine Tey's The Daughter of TIme, one of the best murder mysteries ever written [detective solves four-hundred-year-old case from his hospital bed], discusses the Tonypandy incident towards the very end of the novel.

Here's one commentator's brief description:
Quote:
... Tonypandy is Inspector Grant’s name for those incidents that the conventional books portray as history but that never happened. Or, as Grant’s historical researcher puts it, echoing Henry Ford, “History is bunk.”
- (source)

And why is "'ruthful" Tonypandy? Because I'm by no means the first to encounter it in modern literature. (If you will accept 1910 as "modern.") Tsuwm has it on his wwftd page. Nevertheless -- I had never seen it used seriously either, which is the reason I got excited.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The brick and mortar OED has entries for ruth, ruthful, and ruthfully, although it labels the first two as archaic and the third as rare or obsolete. Ruth is a noun meaning "the quality of being compassionate" and the other two are what you would expect the corresponding adjective and adverb to be.

Faldage #185721 07/07/09 01:59 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
regarding Shakespeare's King Richard III, ed. by Richard Grant White (1883)

"To do this piece of ruthful butchery" : —Thus the folio. The quarto of 1597 has, "To do this ruthlesse peece of butchery ; " tlie later quartos, "To do this ruthfull peece," &c. The folio, it will be seen, gives a revised version of the line, the position of the adjective having been changed. Therefore, as the form 'ruthful' was retained on the revision, it should not be changed to 'ruthless,' as it has generally been in modern editions. 'Ruthful' is elsewhere thus used by Shakespeare, and also by other authors of his time, and later : and we now say, with the same force, either a shameful deed or a shameless deed; in one instance meaning that the act causes shame in the observer—in the other, that it shows a lack of shame in the performer. So the same act may be characterized as pitiful, sorrowful, ruthful, or pitiless, sorrowless, ruthless.

tsuwm #185730 07/08/09 01:06 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
and we now say, with the same force, either a shameful deed or a shameless deed And never the twain shall cleave...

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,334
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 752 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,543
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith