Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's a common French word. It's a common Dutch word too. Only we took the little roof off.

Salut Baudelaire.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
"If I was not trying out the part of flâneur I was watching C-SPAN coverage of the impeachment proceedings."
- Joseph O'Neill, Netherland (2008)

also from this novel, and coincidentally:
"But the sighting had served as a luxurious instance of the city's ceaseless affirmation of its salvific worth.."

(Bran, you might enjoy this book; it's the story of a Dutch ex-pat living in New York City in the aftermath of 9/11. O'Neill was born in Ireland and raised primarily in Holland, and has worked mostly in London and New York.)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Thanks for the hint, tsuwm. I've read some online revieuws and saw our public library has it. It's on my library list now as it looks pretty cool interesting.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
one of those French phrases I've never totally grasped, here used nounily (sure, adjectives and nouns - inseparable)

"I shook [her] hand. "How do you do," I said with as much conventionality as I could muster, as if an ostentatious show of comme il faut might minimize her son's aberrancy and the dark, inordinately troubling gap in my smile and the collapse of law and order betokened by the detectives surrounding us and, this particular slope being a slippery one, the hellishness of the world." O'Neill, ibid

here, correctness in deportment or behavior?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Looks like it to me.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
'correctness in deportment or behavior.'

Here it is means exactly what you say.

Common in French and in Dutch. Correctness in deportment or behaviour.
But both in French and in Dutch it also means correctness, straightforwardness of moral behavior. I often heard it used when French people were discussing some actions or decisions:

"Oui, voilà, mais ce n'est pas tout à fait comme il faut quandmême."
or in Dutch:
"Ja, maar dat is tòch niet helemaal comme il faut."

It may concern little business transactions, social conduct, politics and such.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"; when we reached the lot John and Luster and Gabe ( the three mules and the horse too ) were still watching the still-swinging side gate through which Boon had just vanished, carrying the pistol in his hand. John and Father looked at eachother for about ten seconds while the whole edifice of entendre-de-noblesse collapsed into dust. Though the noblesse, the oblige, still remained."

Coming close now to the end of 1004 pages Faulkner and this fragment shows some similarity to the nouned "comme il faut" .

Faulkner is a writer I have to keep a dictionary standby for. Not for the dialect parts, which are fine, but for many maybe a bit out of use words; old but new to me. From the parts I read online I saw I will have to do that also for O'Neill. For new new to me words.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
I used the verb spaghettify as the wwftd a while back, but today I read the noun form:
Scientists call this process spaghettification. And the black hole, as if in appreciation of the analogy, slurps you down. - Philip Plait Ph.D., Death from the Skies!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
link
For those who understand.
As for me, I'll approach those plates of spaghetti with care from now on and warn the little one to stay away from black holes.

tsuwm Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
>noun form

aside: I really blew the opportunity to use the term nounification, in the event.
-joe (at the event horizon) friday

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 381 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith