Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#184975 05/27/09 04:37 AM
L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
I am not resident in America but like many countries around the world mine has much American TV shows and other cultural imports. One that has long puzzled me is the apparent assumption that not pursuing tertiary education is a failure of intelligence or ambition or both and dooms a person to a lower standartd of life in both material and social status. Even in my country now people might say the equivalent of 'I am just a plumber' or 'just a builder' so I was interested to read this article in the New York Times today that addressed some of these points. It is interesting how words take on new layers that then seem to become inseparable parts of them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
"The trades suffer from low prestige, " is counting maybe for all rich countries.
We now at last see a slow change towards the return of trade-craft-school education. Everybody agrees it should return, but it's even hard to find adaquate teachers.
Our policy for about thirty years has been to oblige youngsters who are most fit for manual work to study mainly theorethical subjects for two years, from the age of twelve. By the time the two years are over they have lost all interest, even in the manual education they might have aspired to. Many drop outs as a result. Silly development.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Rather like driving a hummer - the triumph of status over function.

And the rarer the trained people get the higher the renumeration they may expect.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Latishya:
I have a number of degrees from colleges. But I cannot figure
out what goes on under the hood (boot) of an automobile.
When something mechanical goes wrong I call in the experts.
I have the highest regard for electricians, plumbers, and
other specialty personnel. "Just a plumber"? Not in my book.
They have saved me plenty of times, and I am so grateful.
The idea that book-degrees is superior exists only in the minds
of the arrogant who believe it of themselves.

Last edited by LukeJavan8; 05/27/09 09:51 PM. Reason: typo

----please, draw me a sheep----
L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Latishya:

The hood is front of the car, no? In my country that is called the bonnet. The boot is the storage space I think is called the trunk in US English. I have heard of some cars with their engine in the rear and I don't know if the terms are used the same for them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
This is funny. We call it cap. The hood, the bonnet and the cap.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow. Hats off to you! :-)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Latishya:

The hood is front of the car, no? In my country that is called the bonnet. The boot is the storage space I think is called the trunk in US English. I have heard of some cars with their engine in the rear and I don't know if the terms are used the same for them.

Have a friend who drives in to service and says: "It's something under the boot", referring to the
mechanical apparatus of the engine, etc. Don't know if he's correct, I assumed it was the "hood".

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Workmen and owner discussing some repairs on my opposite neighbour's roof. Workman: " Does this mean it only needs constructive repairs or should they be cosmetic as well?"

L
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Workmen and owner discussing some repairs on my opposite neighbour's roof. Workman: " Does this mean it only needs constructive repairs or should they be cosmetic as well?"

That sounds like a practical and sensible question. If I were the owner, I would prefere both, but if I had to choose I would pick constructive over cosmetic. Perhaps it was a question of cost. I have heard that construction can be done quickly, well or cheap - any two of those three, but never all three.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,333
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 747 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith