About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Of all the 'waters' mentioned here whiskey is the only one that has a color.

And I understand that no whiskey can be called 'bourbon' unless it comes from Kentucy. Interesting
since that was the name of the rulers of France back in the monarchy.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Specifically from Bourbon County, Kentucky, if my understanding is correct. ICLIU.

Edit: IDLIU and, nope. Not necessarily in Bourbon County, not even Kentucky although most is made in Kentucky. Plenty of other requirements, though.

Last edited by Faldage; 04/09/09 11:49 PM.
P
P
Originally Posted By: BranShea
Virginia
The five largest reported ancestry groups in Virginia are: African (19.6%), German (11.7%), unspecified American (11.4%), English (11.1%), and Irish (9.8%).
South Carolina
The five largest ancestry groups in South Carolina are African American (29.5%), American (13.9%), English (8.4%), German (8.4%) and Irish (7.9%).

There is no mention of Scots or Irish in Missisipi, but I guess usquebaugh is more a 'book word ' in this case. Anyway, I've seen William Faulkner was a prolific writer so I'll be happy to drain a few more books from the library.

What is your statistical source?

What is meant by American?

What distinguishs an African from an African-American?

Some 40 years ago, I lived in South Carolina for four years. Today I live in North Carolina. In the interim, I have lived in Pennsylvania, Colorado, Tennessee, Mississippi, and Alabama. [And, before South Carolina, there were residencies in Texas, Illinois, California and Japan.]

In the USA, the census is conducted each decade. Therefore, the statistical data applies technically only to the last year of each decade (2000, 1990, 1980, 1970, 1960, 1950, 1940, 1930, etc.) Also, the data depends also upon the questions asked. Before the origin of the predecessor of IBM, the census was only a literal head count. After "IBM," up to 240 different statistical datum could be obtained.

My ancestors can be traced to England, Scotland, Ulster (Northern Ireland), Germany, France and Switzerland.

How would that affect your statistics for South Carolina? Mississippi?

Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
They are not my statistics . The source is Wiki pages Virginia and South Carolina. With American in this context I can only think of Native Americans. Also called Indians.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Interesting since that was the name of the rulers of France back in the monarchy.

The current king of Spain, Juan Carlos, belongs to the House of Bourbon-Orléans. The last king of France, Louis Philippe, is technically of the House of Orléans (a cadet branch of the Bourbons). The main pretenders to the thrones of France and Spain today, are: don Luis Alfonso Gonzalo Víctor Manuel Marco de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú (aka Louis XX) and don Sixto Enrique de Borbón-Parma y Borbón-Busset. FWIW, the last monarch of France was of the House of Bonaparte, Emperor Napoléon III. And, one of the claimants to the head of the House of Bonaparte is Jean-Christophe Louis Ferdinand Albéric Napoléon (aka Prince Napoléon) who is also a descendant of the House of Bourbon.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
zmjezhd #184229 04/10/09 02:48 PM
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
In 1964 princes Irene of the Netherlands denounced her rights in second line to the throne to marry without consent the Roman-Catholic Carlos-Hugo de Bourbon-Parma, one of the then pretenders to the Spanish throne.He was the leader of the Carlists. He lost his game of thrones to the Orléans branch.
Wasn't there a Bourbon Steet in New Orleans?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Bourbon Street. Very famous.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
Interesting since that was the name of the rulers of France back in the monarchy.

The current king of Spain, Juan Carlos, belongs to the House of Bourbon-Orléans. The last king of France, Louis Philippe, is technically of the House of Orléans (a cadet branch of the Bourbons). The main pretenders to the thrones of France and Spain today, are: don Luis Alfonso Gonzalo Víctor Manuel Marco de Borbón y Martínez-Bordiú (aka Louis XX) and don Sixto Enrique de Borbón-Parma y Borbón-Busset. FWIW, the last monarch of France was of the House of Bonaparte, Emperor Napoléon III. And, one of the claimants to the head of the House of Bonaparte is Jean-Christophe Louis Ferdinand Albéric Napoléon (aka Prince Napoléon) who is also a descendant of the House of Bourbon.

I am relatively interested in monarchical stuff like this. Where did you get it, zm???

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Where did you get it?

Mainly off the internet. A while back, before work took over my working life and my private one, too, I started research for a blog that would follow all of the defunct royal houses in Europe (and environs) and some of the pretenders to those same thrones, whether unoccupied at present or not. I started with Wikipedia (not just the anglophone version), cross checking with Google (mainly to look into matters genealogical), etc. My favorite is still the various Stuartine (actually Jacobite) pretenders to the throne. Matters are complicated by the fact that the last actual Jacobite pretender (link), Henry Benedict Stuart, aka Henry IX, was a Roman Catholic cardinal and had no offspring. So, he willed the throne of England, Scotland, and France to the House of Savoy. Later the dukes, earlier the counts, of Savoy became the Kings of the newly united Italy. The current Jacobite pretender is the Wittelsbach scion Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria Herzog von Bayern, aka Francis II of England (link).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
The current Jacobite pretender is the Wittelsbach scion Franz Bonaventura Adalbert Maria Herzog von Bayern, aka Francis II of England (link).

Talk about your wee, wee, German Lairdie.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith