Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Virginia
The five largest reported ancestry groups in Virginia are: African (19.6%), German (11.7%), unspecified American (11.4%), English (11.1%), and Irish (9.8%).
South Carolina
The five largest ancestry groups in South Carolina are African American (29.5%), American (13.9%), English (8.4%), German (8.4%) and Irish (7.9%).

There is no mention of Scots or Irish in Missisipi, but I guess usquebaugh is more a 'book word ' in this case. Anyway, I've seen William Faulkner was a prolific writer so I'll be happy to drain a few more books from the library.

Originally Posted By: Pastorvon
These were much better received. In the American South, in restaurants serving family style meals, grits is (are) as ubiquitous as potatoes, although generally limited to breakfast meals.
Now that I've seen it I'm not sure I would like it. The look of it reminds of a childhood torture called 'gortepap' which was a breakfast cereal consisting of peeled barley kernels cooked in buttermilk with sugar syrup. Nay!

Last edited by BranShea; 04/06/09 07:23 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No matter the content of the usquebaugh I still gag on hominy
no matter how they are cooked nor with what they are mixed.
I sure would not want to claim ownership of their invention or
concoction.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Adding to usquebaugh and aqua vitae, AKA Akvavit we also have the brandy eau de vie. In a related story, the Russian word vodka is the diminutive of the word for water, voda.

P
P
Originally Posted By: Faldage
I know that the Carolinas got a lot of highland Scots settlers after the Jacobite rebellion, Bonny Prince Charlie and all that. There were even newspapers printed in Gaelic in the Carolinas for some time after the mid 18th century. I don't know if the Scots got as far as Mississippi though.

The Carolinas also got a lot of Scots from western New York and Pennsylvania during the French and Indian War. There are Presbyterian churches across the Carolinas that were founded in the middle 1700s. One such near Charlotte is Coddle Creek Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church which celebrated its 265th anniversary last year. And, yes, "Missippi" has quite a goodly number of Scots. Most of the originals came from the Carolinas to settle land-grants received as their pay for service in the Revolutionary War. I've been asked to preach at Philadelphus Presbyterian Church in rural Wayne County, Mississippi, late in the Summer for its annual home-coming service. Its fellowship hall, which is constructed from logs salvaged from the congregation's first church building built in the late 1700s is called "Scotland Hall."

Last edited by PastorVon; 04/08/09 12:59 PM. Reason: typos
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Of all the 'waters' mentioned here whiskey is the only one that has a color.

A
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
A
Growing up in Kentucky I might well have eaten grits but my parents hated both grits and hominy. Later when I moved to North Carolina I discovered I like grits, once I tried a staple dish down that way, shrimp and grits.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
whiskey is the only one that has a color

There's a Danish akvavit (aka snaps) called Aalborgs Jubilæum (link) which has some colour to it.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
OP Offline
Carpal Tunnel
So I was wrong. Indeed: "Akvavit, like vodka, is distilled from either grain or potatoes. It is flavoured with herbs such as caraway seeds, anise, dill, fennel, coriander, or “grains of paradise.” The Danish distillery Aalborg makes an akvavit distilled with amber."
It is not just the jubilee. I read all the akvavitter have a more or less light golden color.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I read all the akvavitter have a more or less light golden color.

Yes, Jubilæum is simply darker than the other kinds of akvavit.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: Alex Williams
Growing up in Kentucky I might well have eaten grits but my parents hated both grits and hominy. Later when I moved to North Carolina I discovered I like grits, once I tried a staple dish down that way, shrimp and grits.

Good for you. I know some foods in childhood I detested, now I relish. But neither grits nor hominy
in childhood nor now.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,373
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,562
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith