Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Spreuk 35 was my favorite, after having clicked on them all.
(Hey it was better than searching dead threads on the site.)
Very beautiful works, and some are works of art. Thank you
for sharing them.

We had three tornadoes set down in the immediate neighborhood
last night. Very scary night.

Last edited by LukeJavan8; 03/24/09 07:12 PM. Reason: typo

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You past the tornado time going through 150 spreuken? Wow!
I gave up round 100. But when it's dark how does one know there are tornado's when you can't see them.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
You hear the wind!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Saw one once your side of the ocean and from a safe distance, but I never heard the sound of it. That's why I asked. We only have miniature ones (seldom) in the river district. They never touch ground.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I gave up round 100. But when it's dark how does one know there are tornado's when you can't see them.

Yes - you hear the wind! It sounds like a freight train passing overhead. Frightening. The sound was
terrible on Monday. At night these days we have radar. The meteorologist have a picnic, each tv station
trying to outdo the next. They trace it down to the point where they tell which neighborhood and
people living on what streets when to hit the shelters. I was in my basement, when it passedover.
Of course the radar is only effective as it comes, the tornado does not respect the radar, and can
change immediately.
The worst we had here was in 1975 (tho' the 1913 one killed over 150)killing 4, one was a dummy standing
on his roof watching it. The tornado swept thru ripping off one side of a hospital, roof off a high
school, leveled three elementary schools. Cars found miles away. Screen from a drive-in movie never
found, undoubtedly shredded. Etc. Very frightening

----please, draw me a sheep----
P
P
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
Originally Posted By: BranShea

Yes - you hear the wind! It sounds like a freight train passing overhead. Frightening. The sound was
terrible on Monday. At night these days we have radar. The meteorologist have a picnic, each tv station
trying to outdo the next. They trace it down to the point where they tell which neighborhood and
people living on what streets when to hit the shelters. I was in my basement, when it passedover.
Of course the radar is only effective as it comes, the tornado does not respect the radar, and can
change immediately.
The worst we had here was in 1975 (tho' the 1913 one killed over 150)killing 4, one was a dummy standing
on his roof watching it. The tornado swept thru ripping off one side of a hospital, roof off a high
school, leveled three elementary schools. Cars found miles away. Screen from a drive-in movie never
found, undoubtedly shredded. Etc. Very frightening

Sounds like Southern Illinois almost. Murphysboro has had some fairly powerful ones over the years. The Illinois State Archives/Museum in Springfield still has a display of artifacts from one in the 19teens (13 or 15, I cannot remember which). There was one that hit Marion about 10 years ago that picked up a tractor-trailer parked at a truckstop at Ill.Hiway 13 & I-57, carried it about 3/4 mi. & set it down intact on the roof of a bank building on the opposite side of the Interstate. In Dec 1957, after usual season, 10 funnel clouds were seen touching down in and around Chester causing minimal damage. In June 1946, two tornadoes struck the bridge across the Mississippi River at Chester simultaneously, picked up half the span and set it down in the river about 50 yards down-stream. The bridge had been completed only a little over a year. One of those storms took the back porch off of our house, while I lay sleeping only a stairwell away. I never heard a thing. I was 9 years old. Back then there were no early warning systems.

A
A
Thanks for telling me how, Latishya.
Since Etoain stole my sentence i will try another one:
ना सिताइश की तम्मन्ना ना सिले की परवाह
गर नही है मेरे अश्यार में माने न सही
गालिब
(poor) Translation:
With no desire for laurels, or a care for results ;
If my lines are meaningless, that is all right by me.
Ghalib

Last edited by Avyy; 03/27/09 03:52 AM.
A
A
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: etaoin
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

too bad it doesn't show when you use Preview.

and what does this read, Avyy? cool

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the , "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.

You are right Latishya. आज्माँ (to try) should have been written with a nukta under it. Now that i know the mistake I would have written it in the correct way if i knew how to get half a ज with a nukta under it in the transliterator.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I just tried using my preferred tool,Baraha IME from [url=www.baraha.com]www.baraha.com[/url] and I got the nukta in the conjunct. The software is free.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Baraha IME

A great program, free as you say, and easy to use.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,372
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 767 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,561
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith