Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
Originally Posted By: BranShea
I love words because I love books and that's what books are made
of. I love words because I love a good conversation and that's what conversations are made of.

Me too.
My parents didn't read much for own enjoyment, nor do my brother or his wife. But they all read to their children. My mother used to read to us at the breakfast table when I was in elementary school, one chapter each day. My grandfather read incessantly as do my niece and I so maybe it's hereditary.

I like the physical pleasures associated with words as well, the sound of some poetry and the feel of certain words in my mouth just as I love the feel of the paper and the smell and weight of the old books I collect.

"I caught this morning morning's minion,
kingdom of daylight's dauphin,
dapple, dawn-drawn falcon in his riding..."

PS what a wonderful question, and what lovely memories it has brought back.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: doc_comfort
Does anyone have a word for that sensation you get when you realise you're better at something than the person who is teaching you, but you don't want them to know because your concerned it will hurt them?

compassion?

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I love words as they are an important part of language. Besides items in the lexicon, I love morphology, the fiddly bits of language, and syntax, how words get placed next to one another to bring about meaning: grammar in its technical meaning. It's origin is my discovery of the OED in the high school library, and being exposed to speakers of non-standard varieties of English, Swiss German, and Ligurian Italian at an early and impressionable age.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: etaoin
Does anyone have a word for that sensation you get when you realise you're better at something than the person who is teaching you, but you don't want them to know because your concerned it will hurt them?

compassion?

Enlightenment?

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

embarrassment?

About thinking in a different language; it does not really change much to your thinking.
Or make you understand the different culture any better. It works automatically,unconsiously. The you is just the same you. (or me)

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L

embarrassment?

About thinking in a different language; it does not really change much to your thinking.
Or make you understand the different culture any better. It works automatically,unconsiously.

What about the process of getting to the point of being able to think in another language though? For an adult that takes a great deal of time and effort and surely involves developing a greater understanding of at least some of the culture associated with the language. That also seems to be what Faldage was saying. They did not say "thinking in another language can be a real mind-opener". They said
Quote:

The study of another
language can be a real mind-opener.
Perhaps I misunderstood them but the difference between what they said and what you said seems significant.

Z
Zed Offline
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Z
I agree with both.
Quote:
The study of another language can be a real mind-opener.

Quote:
For an adult that takes a great deal of time and effort and surely involves developing a greater understanding of at least some of the culture associated with the language.

I have quoted it before but I still like it. "You are as many times a man (sic) as languages you know."

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: latishya
[quote=doc_comfort]
embarrassment?

Or make you understand the different culture any better. It works automatically,unconsiously.

Perhaps I misunderstood them but the difference between what they said and what you said seems significant.
If you read once more what I wrote in my post, you see I answered to doc_'s question and only to the thinking in a different language part of doc's post. I did not mention anyting about the study of it. The mind-opening part in that being obvious and the real joy of it. It adds a lot to the understanding of different cultures. Thinking in a different language does not add anything to that.
That was my statement if I may call it so.
You drew conclusions from what I said not.

Last edited by BranShea; 03/09/09 09:51 AM. Reason: heaps of misspellings
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
[quote=doc_comfort]
embarrassment?

If you read once more what I wrote in my post, you see I answered to doc_'s question and only to the thinking in a different language part of doc's post. I did not mention anyting about the study of it. The mind-opening part in that being obvious and the real joy of it. It adds a lot to the understanding of different cultures. Thinking in a different language does not add anything to that.
That was my statement if I may call it so.
You drew conclusions from what I said not.

Thank you for the clarification. In the post of yours I replied to you there were no quote indicators and I did not know about doc comfort's post. It was a misunderstanding by me and an example of why I always quote any post I refer to so that the source is clear.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Ah, that's the thrifty Du. mentality. I did quote the doc_comfort's question, but not his musings about thinking in a foreign language. I'll keep it mind, thanks.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith