Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
धन्यवाद!

हाँ जी, शुक्रिया! Quoted Unicode is still mangled. I can't see a way to select that recommended option before replying to a post including Unicode and maybe that's why I get the values above in the quote box.

This is a bit disconcerting because it seems that when you make a reply to Unicode characters you see their value, like & # 2 3 3 2 without the spaces but when the reply is posted the character displays and not the value. This is good if you remember not to think the quote has been mangled like I did.

A
A
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ. (I am trying out the Unicode)

How did you get it Latishya/Zmejhd?

Last edited by Avyy; 03/22/09 02:47 AM. Reason: Uh ho
W
OP Offline
W
OK, I've applied the latest release v.7.5.1 (a bugfix) I mentioned earlier. If anything appears not to be working, post a message here. Thank you.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: Avyy
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ. (I am trying out the Unicode)

How did you get it Latishya/Zmejhd?

You have to click on the little drop-down box below the posting window and select "using HTML and UBB Code" as in this photo

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

too bad it doesn't show when you use Preview.

and what does this read, Avyy? cool

formerly known as etaoin...
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
what does this read यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

yunīkoḍ ājmāṃ rahī huṃ

My Hindi is not that good (and it may not even be Hindi), but the first word is Unicode transliterated, it's a woman speaking in the first person, and it's the progressive (i.e., -ing) construction.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: etaoin
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the ज, "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this ज़ and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted By: latishya
Originally Posted By: etaoin
यूनीकोड आज्माँ रही हूँ

It could be translated simply "testing Unicode" or "trying Unicode". I tested a theory about current spelling by googling for "आज्माँ" and only found this thread. the , "j" can be made into a "z" by adding a dot, or nukta, like this and that makes the word easier to find, especially in its infinitive form. The nukta is often omitted both in spelling and speaking but an acquaintance tells me that in rural backwaters of Uttar Pradesh a sort of hypercorrection, using ज़ "z" when it should be ज "j". I spend most of my time around Punjabis so I almost never say "z", always "j". I also know some people who refuse to pronounce ज़ as "z" because the sound is a Persian import via Urdu and is offensive to their nationalist sensitivities. They don't like the word "nukta" for the same reason because it isn't "shuddh" or "pure" Hindi. Silly people.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The board's software update has led to Hindi and Urdu writings.
I hope you will let me share this with you:

I took part in a "Kites for Kids" benefit project.
School children from all sorts of immigration background delivered an idiomatic expression
in their native tongue. 150 painters of our Society chose one or two to set this to image on a large kite. I could not hand-copy this complex writing, enlarged it and transmitted it in the oldfashioned transparent-sheet way.
I chose Urdu: "Friendship is like a plant, if you don't take care of it, it will die".
Amazing how many words come out of these rather few signs. (enhanced signs)
Urdu text
(it's too big an image so I linked it)They will be hanged in City Hall and after that they will go to hospitals for chronically ill children.

A link to the ones already done in the virtual Hall. Click any number in the sideline and a kite will come up front: collection

Last edited by BranShea; 03/23/09 05:57 PM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
That sounds like a neat event, Branny!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,353
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 524 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,550
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith