Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M
>...ANZAC biscuits appear to be the only uncontestably Australasian confection. Is this so?

Max, he posts guiltily, as yet another thread finds it way unerringly onto the regional cook-book highway (sorry Anna, but he made me do it!):

I have an idea that we lay claim to the lamington - a cube of sponge (as in sponge-cake) dipped in chocolate icing and then rolled in dessicated coconut. Used to be very popular as a fund-raiser, particularly by girl guides who would hold "lamington drives".

No doubt I'll now find that its invention is disputed.

P.S. A quick google reveals that there is in fact some dispute about both the invention and the etymology (thank goodness I can tie it back in to AWAD with some relevance). Perhaps a relocation over to Recipes and Other Non-language Topics would be in order if anyone wants to pursue this.

M
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
M
Perhaps a relocation over to Recipes and Other Non-language Topics would be in order if anyone wants to pursue this.

MMMM, lamingtons! Chocolate are my favourite, but strawberry are not bad. I did feel a little guilty posting the original query, but it was more about the etymology of the name for the biscuits - I don't want to know how they're made! I agree that to avoid even the hint of inappropriate digression, any further enquiries shall be posted in the "non-language" topics, even though my query was language-related.

#18311 02/08/01 02:49 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
All hugs gratefully received!!!

True to my word: stales, here's a big hug for you; never mind that it's not your birthday yet!

Your post was a grim reminder of the horrors of war. May we never have another one, anywhere.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Lamingtons ... chocolate, smothered in coconut and with whipped cream! Ooooooooo, I'm dribbling on my keyboard. Don't give a damn who invented them. Yes, shift this somewhere else, off the board altogether. There are NO words to describe 'em ...

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
#18313 02/08/01 01:25 PM
B
old hand
old hand
B
Did you know that there were a whole regiment of Newfoundlanders there too? At that time they were a British colony, not part of Canada. They take their military history very seriously here - that's why my university is called Memorial University. And I recently learned that Memorial Stadium was built by the people of St. John's as a memorial to those who died in the wars...each working person in St. John's contributed 1% of their wages for one year to build the stadium. There are a whole series of streets, just near my house, with these middle eastern sort of names - Suvla, Cairo, Suez - after researching the battles that Newfoundlanders fought at, I now know why.

I think the Newfoundlanders would want you to know that you have something in common - as horrible as it is - a little piece of shared history.

#18314 02/08/01 11:38 PM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Bean

Didn't know about the Newfounland connection - many thanks for bringing it to my attention. Will make sure the word is spread this coming Anzac Day.

Newfies hey - would seem therrr ain't no doat aboat it, by golly!!

stales

#18315 02/08/01 11:43 PM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
"Phascogale" it is.

Marsupial pygmy possums as I recall. Real cuties.

stales

#18316 02/09/01 12:03 AM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Re: "...but an external threat still has us back to back."

Right on cuz!

"Dumping" on somebody or some thing (such as the whole K1w1 Nation) is the highest accolade an Ozzie can give. Praising somebody offends our (misguided) sense of manliness.

Watch your back if you aren't an Ozzie and one praises you!!

stales

#18317 02/09/01 12:12 AM
stales Offline OP
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Whaddya mean USED TO BE a fundraiser???

I look forward every year to the fundraisers by the little old ladies at my lapidary club AND a big local bakery (which, incidently, also has Anzac cookies in its catalogue. Being a purist, I can't come at the strawberry lamingtons though!!). It's the only time I get to eat a decent lamington!! Best thing is that they freeze well and can thus be enjoyed weeks/months after the event.

BTW, have never figured out why these fundraisers are referred to as a "Lamington Drive".

Anybody?

stales

#18318 02/09/01 08:12 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It was a popular notion that Australia and New Zealand were virtually the only troops at Gallipoli and certainly little is said here about any other troops on the peninsula. Not true at all. The British landed in comfort some time after the Anzacs, had a leisurely time of it for a while and then left. The Newfies came and also had a fairly easy time of it at the beginning, but saw some fairly hot action (on Caribou Hill and at Suvla) before they were withdrawn and sent to the meat grinder on the Western Front where they distinguished themselves in a place where the remarkable was fairly commonplace.

The real point of the Australasian emphasis on Gallipoli is that the Anzac troops landed (in the wrong damned place) under fire and hung on in that state for several months in spite of the fact that it was obvious to everyone that there was absolutely no way they were going to "win". It was the "baptism of fire" effect for the Anzacs (a term often used cavalierly for mundane events, but rarely so well-deserved), that made it so "special". It's not a deliberate attempt to demean or diminish the contribution of troops from other places.

My grandfather was there. He wasn't in the first landings, and he came out of Gallipoli unscathed. He then managed to skate through the next three years on the Western Front without being wounded only to be "mildly" gassed a couple of months before the war ended. He died at 63 of complications from the gassing.

The idiot also known as Capfka ...
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,350
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 773 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,549
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,918
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith