Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#181875 01/19/09 01:44 PM
M
mcheves Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
Granted, it's Anu's facility, but am I the only one who resents the injection of his political beliefs into a Word.a.Day?

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
no: link

old hand
old hand
There is, however, more than one way to interpret his "and not a moment too soon" comment. As a word freak (like many of us), Anu has suffered for the past 8 years with a president who found it nearly impossible to extemporaneously put together a coherent sentence that did not contradict itself. It truly made me cringe at times. You could ask Anu what he meant, but I do think it's possible he was referring to the language aspect of Mr. Bush. Now, he can kill two birds with one stone with that statement, and it still doesn't decisively refer to the president's politics. Of course, it is, as you say, Anu's facility, but this one is at least ambiguous. :0)

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
I for one am impressed by Anu's scholarship but if he runs the site he has the privilege of posting whatever he wants

In this connection it's pertinent to note that WS is probably the most liberal site of its kind and I say this advisedly because I've been banned from others, sometimes for the most innocent infraction

For instance I was thrown off one for using the terms "Muslim" and "George Bush" in the same sentence though with a bit of pejorative slant. At another where I had been dragged over the coals for injecting slight political implications such as Anu is criticized for, I prefaced my last post with an invitation to Admin that if it didn't meet their protocol I would understand if they deleted it; but instead in a fit of overreaction I was banned altogether

I must admit however that with the former I was on probation and was allowed to rejoin after 3 only months. From another I was dispatched for six years. Once a year I'd email their Admin asking if I might be reinstated, pointing out that even murderers get paroled, but with no response. Finally I was allowed to rejoin but after 10 posts somehow I evidently embarrassed their Admin once more, was accused of "trolling" and once again banned--presumably for another six years

For one reason or another, though, I've been repeatedly and royally castigated here on WS (once for not using a period at the end of a paragraph) without getting utterly rejected and so want to convey my thanks to whomever's in charge for his/her forbearance

Another pertinent observation: a typical site of this kind has 25 rules of protocol and they're all different. For instance, at one you mustn't make reference to another but it's ok to provide a link; at another but it's ok to name it but you mustn't provide a link. At a third it's ok to post both so long as you don't make unfavorable comparisons

At still another a post dealing with some aspect of language but with slight political implications, even though some of these implications contradict one another and were meant only as examples of the topic under consideration, even though these aspects of the thread are obvious, they must be spelled out as if the other participants are all illiterate

Thus if you subscribe to 25 such sites you have to remember and faithfully observe 625 different rules. In short, the typical Internet Web Site [present company excepted] attracts many common folk and especially Admin types of a sort judgmental, autocratic, disdainful, imperative, magisterial, officious, peremptory, supercilious; in short, Power Freaks

So my heartfelt deferences to Anu for all his work and for his infinite tolerance
of trollers like me

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dale, sometimes you really do have no clue. in this matter, due to some actual litigation (or threat thereof) some years ago, Anu has been advised to post a Disclaimer (see bottom of page) and stand aside. that's really all there is to it.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D
Hi tsu. In fact I believe the threat you cite caused a pullout of many participants and the establishment of another such, the name of which I'm not sure whether protocol allows mention. It's interesting to note however, that not long after joining that one too I was banned for one reason or another though I'm still going strong here thanks to its more liberal approach

Thank you for all your past and current responses, you're indeed a thoughtful fellow. However, if my thinking bothers you as it appears to sometimes, where you see my username you are welcome to skip the post. In any case I am yours with new add. dalehileman@me.com

two: Who is this president to whom you have reference

dalehileman
old hand
old hand
I suppose I could have been explicit and mentioned the United States of America, but I thought the phrase "president for the past 8 years" and the name "Mr. Bush" were sufficient. In any case, I was referring to (still the president of the USA for a few more hours) George Walker Bush. :0)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: twosleepy
There is, however, more than one way to interpret his "and not a moment too soon" comment. As a word freak (like many of us), Anu has suffered for the past 8 years with a president who found it nearly impossible to extemporaneously put together a coherent sentence that did not contradict itself. It truly made me cringe at times. You could ask Anu what he meant, but I do think it's possible he was referring to the language aspect of Mr. Bush. Now, he can kill two birds with one stone with that statement, and it still doesn't decisively refer to the president's politics. Of course, it is, as you say, Anu's facility, but this one is at least ambiguous. :0)
I agree with this post, it is a releave to look forward to a leader who knows how to express himself clearly, clearer than many other leaders in the world at this moment. Disregarding political facts or results. There is no reason for controversy on this forum
as long as we hold on to this agreement:
to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it. Anyway, there is no threat unless you fear it.

Last edited by BranShea; 01/20/09 08:47 AM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Politics aside, it seems likely that a linear connection exists between clarity of thought and clarity of language.

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: latrans
Politics aside, it seems likely that a linear connection exists between clarity of thought and clarity of language.
I disagree. I am not dyslexic or language-impaired, but I know some people who are. Most of them are excellent thinkers, but may have difficulty translating those thoughts into words, written or spoken. Many people simply have great anxiety when speaking in front of a group, and therefore become linguistically paralyzed. I do think your idea is true in some cases, but most certainly not all. As for Mr. Bush, ? :0)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,360
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
1 members (wofahulicodoc), 615 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,556
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,919
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith