Wordsmith Talk

About Us | What's New | Search | Site Map | Contact Us  

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
old hand
old hand
I believe that is an urban myth. The oft-mentioned so-called 'Flat Earth Society' consisted pretty much of one man (in England I think from memory, but can't be bothered looking it up).

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The oft-mentioned so-called 'Flat Earth Society' consisted pretty much of one man (in England I think from memory, but can't be bothered looking it up).

The man in the UK was probably the founder of the Universal Zetetic Society (link) Samuel Shenton. Until his death in 2001, Charles K Johnson lead the group from Lancaster, CA. There are some members worldwide. The BBC had this to say about the flat-earthers recently (link). There's an online presence via a forum (link). Enjoy. ("Now, where did I bookmark that Luddite group's URL?") I've found that you can find people who believe in almost anything, but then I've lived in California most of my life, and it's a well-known kook-magnet. Must be the clement weather.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, I know, it gets people's bristles up,and I've been told that
before, yet there are some really good discussions about politics
and religion on back threads which are no longer being commented
on. Sorry, I'll try to remember your advice.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, I know some very good people who believe the world is flat.
What interests me is that there are some people who ascribe the
fact that the universe is only 6000 years old, denying the
existence of "cave men", Neanderthal, CroMagnon, and even
dynosaurs. Amazing: but to each his/her own.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
The world is a pancake and too many people are obsessed just to pick out the blueberries before someone else does. grin

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
I've found that you can find people who believe in almost anything, but then I've lived in California most of my life, and it's a well-known kook-magnet. Must be the clement weather.

Hahahahaha. There are a lot of similarities between California and Australia, but you prolly have even more kooks than we do! I suppose people have travelled there from all over the world to be kooky since at least 1849! grin

...and any state that can elect the Governator has to have at least a little bit of kookiness endemic to it!

Last edited by The Pook; 12/27/08 01:46 AM.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
There are a lot of similarities between California and Australia

Except we're right-ways up, the water goes down the plughole counter-withershins, and most of our immigrants became criminals after being transported.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted By: zmjezhd
There are a lot of similarities between California and Australia

Except we're right-ways up, the water goes down the plughole counter-withershins, and most of our immigrants became criminals after being transported.

Hmm. Perhaps I should send you a copy of MacArthy's Universal Corrective Map of the World (it has Tasmania and Tierra del Fuego at the top).

Between 1718 and 1776 50,000 convicts were transported to the USA, but I don't suppose California had been invented then? It's your fault we started out the way we did, because after 1776 the Brits had to find somewhere else to export their troublesome underclass - if you hadn't dumped that damn tea in the harbour you'd still be importing England's most notorious! All in all 165,000 convicts came to Australia, but by the second half of the 19th century transportation was rapidly outstripped by immigration. Today most Australians are not descended from convicts (though I have two in the tree), and their surname is just as likely to be Iemma, Popov, Nguyen, Chen, Al Mazri, or Kirkyasharian as Smith or Jones.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I should send you a copy of MacArthy's Universal Corrective Map of the World

I was introduced to this wonderful topsy-turvy map in the late '70s or early '80s by a geography professor. It was a joke, son. We being on a globe and there being gravity, all of us are pointing upwards.

Between 1718 and 1776 50,000 convicts were transported to the USA, but I don't suppose California had been invented then?

Well, the US state didn't exist until 1850, but the Presidio de San Francisco was founded in 1776 and that of San Diego in 1769. The word California, referring to an island inhabited by black Amazons, is first recorded in 1510 in Las Sergas de Esplandián by García Ordóñez Rodríguez de Montalvo. Sir Francis Drake landed near San Diego in 1579 and claimed California for the English Crown. He called it Nova Albion, which is Cod-Latin for New Britain.

It's your fault we started out the way we did

Another big influence on the early make-up of the 13 colonies was the number of white indentured servents from the UK and black slaves from Africa.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

to say nothing of Native American slaves.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,331
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 854 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
wofahulicodoc 10,542
tsuwm 10,542
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith