Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
(I am very new to computer use and appreciate the help)

Luke I commiserate and feel much the same way after 18 years using Microsoft. When I have learned Mac as well as Bill I will be 106

Besides you and me and tsu and eta, where is everyone

It's been weeks now...

dalehileman
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
It's been weeks now...

... coming from someone who didn't post between Aug 23 and Nov 9. (^_^)

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
TSUWM:
thanks for your help. I was beginning to assume I could not make a change in an entry once posted in the forum. But it worked.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
dalehileman:
Myridon entered the discussion. Nice.
Thanks dale. I'll be 106 when I master Microsoft.
Appreciate your comment.

----please, draw me a sheep----
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
TSUWM:
thanks for your help. I was beginning to assume I could not make a change in an entry once posted in the forum. But it worked.

more about 'select'...
Click and drag your mouse across some text in any post; e.g., the text "Click and drag your mouse" in this very post. Your chosen text should now be selected. Now go up to the very top of your browser window and click the Edit menu. You should see the Copy function listed in that menu. You could click on that, but instead note that it indicates that Ctrl+C is listed next to it (this is the keyboard shortcut for the copy function). So, with your selected text still highlited, press the Ctrl and 'c' keys simultaneously. Nothing obvious happens, but you will have 'copied' the selected text onto the Windows clipboard. Now 'reply' to this post -- back in the Edit menu, note that the Paste command lists a Ctrl+V shortcut. While in the edit box (click inside the box if you don't have the flashing insertion point there), press the Ctrl and 'v' keys simultaneously. Your selected text should be 'pasted' from the clipboard into the edit box.

if so, you have just mastered the 'copy and paste' function!
this is a really good thing to master, as it will work within virtually every Windows application and (even better) *between* applications; so that you can for instance select and copy some text in a browser window and paste it into an email!!

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted By: tsuwm
press the Ctrl and 'c' keys simultaneously.

Note: Do not try to press both keys at precisely the same time. You run a 50/50 chance if hitting the "c" key first and this will not accomplish what you want. Press the Ctrl key and hold it down while you then press the "c" key. Treat the Ctrl-key as a shift key.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: Myridon
Originally Posted By: dalehileman
It's been weeks now...

... coming from someone who didn't post between Aug 23 and Nov 9. (^_^)

Myr I am deeply impressed by your diligence

dalehileman
D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Originally Posted By: LukeJavan8
dalehileman:
Myridon entered the discussion. Nice.
Thanks dale. I'll be 106 when I master Microsoft.
Appreciate your comment.

Luke what a fine fellow you seem in this maelstrom of of diabolical interchange

dalehileman
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
tsuwm, I personally think it's less confusing to just click on the words Copy, and Paste, up in the Edit menu; it took a personal visit from Capital Kiwi for me to even know the Ctrl+ functions existed. I had seen the notations up there, but didn't take in that it might mean anything.

Luke, Faldage had a good cautionary note--be sure to hold down the Ctrl button before pressing the c (for copy) or v (for paste).

I will add something, too: when you Copy something, it does not disappear from your screen (as opposed to what happens when you Cut)--a copy goes to be stored on a place in the innards of your computer called, as tsuwm said, the clipboard. But it will only stay on/in the clipboard until you Copy or Cut the next thing. Let's say you have made a long post here, and you want to share part of it with somebody via an e-mail. If you highlight paragraph one and hit Copy, and then highlight paragraph three and hit Copy, and only then go to your letter and hit Paste, only paragraph three will get there: you needed to go to your letter and hit Paste as soon as you Copied para. one, then go back and picked up para. three.

Also--you, or anyone, can practice here all you want (though you can also practice in an e-mail to yourself, etc.): just pretend you're making a post (that is, hit the Reply button), then Preview anything you've experimented with. Nothing will get posted unless you click on the Submit button. Just either hit the Back arrow, close the window, or whatever.

D
Pooh-Bah
OP Offline
Pooh-Bah
D
Jackie thank you for that rundown, you seem very literate, and in that connection I wonder whether you might have also some insights to share regarding the proposition of my original post

dalehileman
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Jackie 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics13,913
Posts229,328
Members9,182
Most Online3,341
Dec 9th, 2011
Newest Members
Ineffable, ddrinnan, TRIALNERRA, befuddledmind, KILL_YOUR_SUV
9,182 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,181 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)
Top Posters
wwh 13,858
Faldage 13,803
Jackie 11,613
tsuwm 10,542
wofahulicodoc 10,539
LukeJavan8 9,916
AnnaStrophic 6,511
Wordwind 6,296
of troy 5,400
Disclaimer: Wordsmith.org is not responsible for views expressed on this site. Use of this forum is at your own risk and liability - you agree to hold Wordsmith.org and its associates harmless as a condition of using it.

Home | Today's Word | Yesterday's Word | Subscribe | FAQ | Archives | Search | Feedback
Wordsmith Talk | Wordsmith Chat

© 1994-2024 Wordsmith